Silly Luxeon question

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I've got some LxIII emitters (not on the star). So how do I tell what's the + (anode) and what's the - (cathode)?

Macro pictures welcomed, thanks.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The positive side has a little notch cut out from the little contact. Attach your +'ve wire to the longer contact on that same side.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Let me word it a bit differently. The positive side has a longer "stub" contact that has a complete hole surrounded by metal. The negative side stub has been cut shorter and the hole has been half removed; it is no longer a closed hole.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter has a notch on one side, and the other has a slot (hole) in the smaller lead.

Positive (anode) = slot or square hole
Negative (cathode) = notch

It's not straight forward when the emitter just comes bare. I just had a thought to pull out my 1W emitter on the star to compare it. Whaddya know, just the same.

Thanks, now to make a scortcher with one of these emitters!

edited for correction... that's what happens when I try to think when I'm dead tired...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Beretta,

Either you have it backwards or I have been getting away with soldering a whole bunch of these LED's with reversed polarity!!! ( I don't think so)

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Guys -- JUST LOOK FOR THE SQUARE HOLE. There is NO other part of any lead/tab anywhere on a Luxeon emitter that has a SQUARE HOLE -- and THAT marks the POSITIVE SIDE.

(deep breaths, Charlie, deep breaths...)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm unsure, I just test wire them to a 3V coin cell, and figure out which way lights up.

richpalm

Banned
Not a silly question-this clarifies it for me too. Thanks all, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it now... of course it's 8am here and I am awake from my drive up the Garden State Raceway. Now I just have to find the Weller and thin solder.

Thanks guys!

admedeus

Newly Enlightened
You should also be able to determine this with a meter, using the diode check setting or the resistance setting. Resistance should be considerably lower with the positive lead of your meter connected to the positive lead of the diode. Reverse the leads (+ to -, etc.) and the resistance should be alot higher or even "OL." Same relative action using the diode check setting, if your meter has one.