Surefire E1B Clip Swap to E1L - Quick Question

hcd615

Enlightened
By hand the E1B clip is very tough and pretty much not going into the E1L clip slot. Do most of you that have switched the clips file down the sides very, very slightly of the E1B clip to make it fit the E1L clip slot? And I assume I do not have to use the black spacer that came off when taking the original short clip off the E1L.
Any help, directions or photos would be great.

Thanks in advance, Howard

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I installed an LX2 clip on an E2DL, and also an E1B clip on an E1L. One of them (I don't remember which) was a drop in fit, while the other required sanding with some very fine grit (800) sandpaper in order to encourage it to fit. As for the spacer, I tossed it.

Darvis

Enlightened
I've had it both ways- just be sure you remove the o-ring first as it can make the task more difficult than you would think. I always keep my black spacer (I'm sure you know this, but the spacer is designed to fit one way, so be sure to get it oriented correctly) but I don't see where tossing it would be a big deal at all, I just like to get all the parts back in that came out. I have used a soft drifting tool, usually brass, to gently encourage clips in the past, just be sure to go slowly and not tap too hard.

I've successfully used the E1B clip on both E1L's and L1's and have never had any problem with any of them.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Do NOT sand anything.

It's supposed to be a "press fit". If you remove too much material (possibly 1/1000"), your clip could move around and wear through your anodizing.

When installing my LX2 clip on my E2L, I used a wood displacer to pound the clip into the slot and it went perfectly. If you do this wrong you could damage your threads, finish, etc. and end up with a less than perfect light. I'd recommend wrapping everything in electrical tape to protect the finish, and especially the threads.

Edited to Add:

Save the black plastic spacer with the original clip. You do not need it with the E1B clip.

Viper715

Enlightened
I've had I sand every LX2 clip I've used on C2's in the past. I've had mixed luck with the E1B clip. Sometimes they slip right into an l1 or e1 and sometimes need slight sanding.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed an LX2 clip on an E2DL, and also an E1B clip on an E1L. One of them (I don't remember which) was a drop in fit, while the other required sanding with some very fine grit (800) sandpaper in order to encourage it to fit. As for the spacer, I tossed it.

It appears that the E2DLU-A, the new Ultra version, will ship with the long LX2 style clip from the picture on page 20 of the 2013 SF Illumination Tool brochure. The E1L, E2L and E2LAA will keep the classic clips in the new versions from what the brochure indicates.

It also appears that the new small TIR SF's will have the three part head similar to the one on the E1B. The front thread unscrews to reveal the emitter, the back thread comes apart to access the micro-controller circuitry.

Last edited: