POLL -- How many ACTIVE flashlight HOSTS with modded drop-ins do you currently have?

Number of ACTIVE modded flashlight hosts

• Zero

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • One to five

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Six to Ten

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Eleven to Fifteen

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Sixteen to Twenty

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Twenty One to Twenty Five

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • More than Twenty Five

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people have started counting how many Malkoff drop-ins they have in their Surefire compatible hosts.

I've been thinking for a while it would be interesting to see how many ACTIVE hosts people have, though not just Surefire with Malkoff drop-ins.

So the question is, how many modded hosts do you currently have that are ACTIVE? This means that they have everything necessary for the flashlight to be functional (full batteries, tailcaps, drop-ins, etc.).

You can take them out and use them right away, in other words.

Although for most people this means Surefire compatible hosts with a variety of drop-ins, such as Malkoff's, nailbenders, Oveready's, etc., it's OK if you have modded Maglites, Angelux's, Deerlights, or whatever.

I did a count and was shocked to find that I have 25 fully active hosts! Now, some are in my cars, others are located around the house in generally the same locations over time (ready to be used), others are put away in my collection area, but still!

So let's see what's going on out there!

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
10 that I can think of (will be 11 when I get a suitable head for my Ultra Cool and EDC+ delivers the 219 triple.)
4 SF's and 6 solarforce.
Modules from Malkoff, MAC, NB, Vinh, and solarforce. Good flood to nice throw. 1 to 5 modes. Output from ~30 to over 800 lumens, all on 1 or 2 CR123's.
I store 'em in jacket pockets, GHB, gun case, mtn bike mount, tool box, "junk" drawers, and the garage. All are users, and though quite different, frankly all are awesome. I wouldn't give any up, though I still may pick up a couple more, and certainly will swap modules around as I see fit.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Are Dereelight DBS' considered a host?,, they are fully upgradable w/ different pills from nailbender, Vinh ect..
I have a V1 & a V3
{V1 a direct drive XM-L // the V3 just a 2A XM-L using 2x18650}

..not sure how many P60 hosts; I think 7 or 8, but they're all over the place ~ all active
almost all have tint filters on them.

Don't ask how many drop-ins I'v gone through!!!:laughing:

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three.

The first is my prized Surefire C2, which I nicknamed CX2DL. It's running vinhnguyen54's single-mode XM-L2 drop-in at 4.2A, which is barely cooled by the Cryos head. Xeno ST05 bezel for primary compliance method. McC2S for two-stage activation. Triad tailcap for tailstanding and secondary compliance method. Solarforce two-way clip for bezel-down carry.
c2_centurion_bling3.jpg

The second is my Javelin Shorty with Dereelight XP-E drop-in and Ultrafire reflector. It gets around 13,000 lux using 1xCR123A, which is pretty darn good. I have the Surefire FM34 on it for lens protection.
shorty_bling.jpg

The third that I have is a WF-501B with two-mode drop-in that toggles between XP-G R5 and a red 3mm LED. I actually made several of these and gave them out to a few friends working for the MTA, where they are required to carry white/red flashlight. I still have one that I haven't given away, ready to go if needed with a fresh set of batteries.

JCD

Enlightened
Two, both 6Ps, one with an MC-E drop-in, and the other an XM-L.

Only about six of my hosts have cells in them all the time, so most aren't active by the definition in this thread. The other four hosts with cells, a C3, 9P, 9P, and a C2, contain a P90, P90, P90, and a P91, respectively. (One of the 9Ps is still sealed in the package, so it might not count as being active.) I suppose the C2 with a P91 might arguably be considered modded, since Surefire never intended that lamp assembly to be used in that host.

I don't have enough cells to keep all of my hosts active, at least not without using my stash of primaries.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Are Dereelight DBS' considered a host?,, they are fully upgradable w/ different pills from nailbender, Vihn ect..
I have a V1 & a V3
{V1 a direct drive XM-L // the V3 just a 2A XM-L using 2x18650}

..not sure how many P60 hosts; I think 7 or 8, but they're all over the place ~ all active
almost all have tint filters on them.

Don't ask how many drop-ins I'v gone through!!!:laughing:

Yes, I agree that Dereelight DBS's are a host since it is basically a system with different pills that can be dropped in.

The latest Surefires, by contrast, with the fully enclosed head, are not really hosts any more (though if someone were to destroy the seal, break the locktite, or whatever, get in and change the emitter, then that would count!).

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Just counted my lights in my display case and counted 41 lights. I got 3 Malkoff drop ins, 4 of Vinhs drop ins, one of bigpals drop ins and all of Nailbenders XML drop ins. With the exception of my 10X Dominator, M6, 9N, 8AX, LX2 and some original 6Ps that I have everything else has been modded mostly running 18650s and 17670s on my G2s and G2Xs. All of my lights can be picked up and turned on. Got a Novatsc Storm in my car, a Solarforce Lego by front door, Mossberg 12 ga. and Springfield Armory XD40 with SF Weaponlights also ready to rock.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I'll play. Today, I have:

Surefire 6P Original
Surefire 6P Original
Surefire 6P LED
Surefire 9P
Surefire E2L Outdoorsman w/ VME
Surefire L4 w/ VME
Surefire Z2
Surefire C2
Malkoff MD2
Malkoff MD2
Malkoff MD2
Malkoff MD3
Malkoff MD3
Malkoff MD3 or MD4
Elzetta ZFL-M60
Maglite 2-D

It looks like that puts me at 16. All of them have Malkoffs, and are fully ready for use. My 6P LED Defender should return from Oveready within the next month or so. By then, I will also have an M61 (XP-G2).

Grizz

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just counted my lights in my display case and counted 41 lights. I got 3 Malkoff drop ins, 4 of Vinhs drop ins, one of bigpals drop ins and all of Nailbenders XML drop ins. With the exception of my 10X Dominator, M6, 9N, 8AX, LX2 and some original 6Ps that I have everything else has been modded mostly running 18650s and 17670s on my G2s and G2Xs. All of my lights can be picked up and turned on. Got a Novatsc Storm in my car, a Solarforce Lego by front door, Mossberg 12 ga. and Springfield Armory XD40 with SF Weaponlights also ready to rock.

I realize that I haven't mentioned clearly that "modding" includes boring a host to use different batteries. It does, even if you continue using the original emitter. Thanks!

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
All of my Surefires are modded and ready to use, even my 6PX is running an AW 2900maH 18650 IC and McClicky. I also have 3 Maglites that are modded and ready to go: 2C w/ Malkoff 2C drop-in (XPG-R5) running two AA Sanyo Eneloops/ 3D w/ Malkoff 4-6D drop-in (XPG-R5) running four C NiMH/ 3D w/ Terralux 300M-EX drop-in running four C NiMH. A few months ago I questioned whether I should keep all of my lights loaded or not. I found that it was too much of a hassle to load batteries every time I decide which lights I'm going to use on that particular day, so I just keep them all in a "ready to use" state.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know how many I have because I stopped counting. They are mainly Surefire since i discovered them back in 2002.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
None - yet. This will soon change as you fine folks here keep enabling my addiction.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all who replied and voted -- really a nice looking poll result, with 35 respondents! Great information.

So with these results, what can we learn? I did a few calculations. Here they are for those interested:

The AVERAGE number of modded hosts per person is 7.4.

This is probably a bit underestimated, since we don't know exactly how many hosts those people with more than 25 have.

The TYPICAL person has 5-6 modded hosts.

Next, 95 percent of the respondents to the poll have less than 18-22 modded hosts, and 99 percent have less than 28-34.

The estimated standard deviation ranges between 5.5 and 7.4 modded hosts.

To do the calculations I fitted two different types of distribution functions to the data, trimming the zero and above 25 data points which provide a cross-check if attempting to project to the whole population. Both distribution functions fit reasonably well, as assessed by statistical fit criteria. When I quote a range above, the range is generated by using first one, and then the other, distribution.

Anyway, these are the results I calculated so far, clearly though those who like the idea of modded host flashlights, tend to get several, which proves that this type of flashlight is a great and functional way to approach flashlights, as opposed to the "closed system" type of flashlight!

dss_777

Enlightened
I think I have seven, and am not counting the Malkoffs bought as complete lights.

I'd add that ALL my drop-ins are in functioning lights. As I explained in the "to host or not to host" thread, drop-ins without a body get grumpy and demanding.

I do what I can to keep the peace. :)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really into modded Maglites so I have several of those. Already got the parts for another Maglite mod on the way, this time it will be a back-to-the-roots XR-E R2 mod in a 3C Maglite ;).

rayman

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Good poll. I never even took a count so... I have 8 complete lights ready to go and 3 other Surefires waiting for dropins as well. :devil:

Surefire 6P w/ EDC+ 3-mode XML
Surefire 6P w/ Nailbender 3-mode Neutral XML
Surefire 6P (bare aluminum) w/ M60
Surefire C2 w/ M61W
Surefire C2 w/ Mattaus' Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple (programmable)
Surefire C2 w/ Nailbender 3-mode XP-G2
Surefire E1e w/ Veleno 3-mode neutral
Surefire E2e w/ Illumination Supply 3-mode warm

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil:

Not many non-modded in my collection... Surefire LX2 is in stock mode... E2E-SG also... everything else has some kind of "mod" to it, ranging from simple to the ones with every single part of them replaced with custom thing... And I have 30+ Surefires...

mbw_151

Enlightened
Surefire 2 and 3 cell lights with Malkoff drop ins are my high reliability standard. I have (3) Z2/M61N for security applications, (3) 6P/M61NL in vehicles, 9P/M60W in my boat for fog, (2) C2/M61NLL for camping/power outage, and C3/M60WL for snow/smoke. I also have a spare of each configuration. Is this overkill having so many configurations? Maybe, but each has earned its place and I haven't found a suitable multimode alternative that meets my tint/runtime/durability/ergonomic requirements. I have a 6PX Pro on long term test. It's the first light that's come close. The tint is a little cool for my taste. I'm not ready to pronounce it as reliable as a single level, twist switch light. It works fine in car and truck use. The beam won't replace the M60 narrow beam. It has nothing on the Z2 for ergos with a pistol. It won't replace the C2/M61NLL, because sometimes 15 lumens isn't enough and the runtime on high is too short. So I'm sticking with my P60 series lights and as a true flashaholic I'll keep looking.

archimedes

Flashaholic
How many ACTIVE flashlight HOSTS with modded drop-ins do you currently have?

....The first is my prized Surefire C2, which I nicknamed CX2DL. It's running vinhnguyen54's single-mode XM-L2 drop-in at 4.2A, which is barely cooled by the Cryos head. Xeno ST05 bezel for primary compliance method. McC2S for two-stage activation. Triad tailcap for tailstanding and secondary compliance method. Solarforce two-way clip for bezel-down carry....

Hope these questions aren't too far off-topic, but have you noticed any problem with running a high current (4.2A) through your McC2S ? Have you modified that switch in any way ? How long have you run it continuously on low (through the resistor) ? Which resistor value is installed ? Thanks :)

Back on-topic, I have about a dozen complete hosts, and probably twice that in drop-ins and parts ....