Scorpion vs TT-2L

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of keeping a TT-2L under the seat of my motorcycle instead of the Scorpion and UK 2AAA that have been there for a couple of years. Do they use the same lamp? If not, can the TT use the Scorpion lamp? Does the TT have a spare lamp on board. I'm doing this to save a little space, storage is at a premium (and it's a good excuse to buy a new light). How does the beam of the TT incandescent compare to the scorpion.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, the Scorpion lamp and the TT 2L are not interchangeable. The Scorpion is brighter, perhaps 30% so.

The TT 2L does not carry a spare lamp as does the Scorpion.

The TT 2L has a bit wider beam, most useful, but does not have the throw of the SL Scorpion.

I find all of the TT's an excellent all around light, inexpensive, and fine quality for the price.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. How does the size of the TT 2L compare to the scorpion?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Stingray,

Specs for the TT 2L and many other lights can be found here, in REVIEWS

INSTANT SPECS FOR 54 POPULAR LIGHTS 5TH EDITION UPDATED

You will see that the TT 2L is significantly bigger and heavier than the Scorpion but is nowhere near as bright. (The original Nuwai 2x123 was much brighter).

The TL-2 is a much closer match to the Scorpion. Streamlight has chosen confusing model names for its products. You'll see that the TL-2 is a little shorter and lighter than the Scorpion, and is designed to appear even smaller. While the bezel is the same diametrer as the Scorpion's, the head is tapered so that it is less bulky, and it is a far superior light in structure and design.

It uses the identical bulb as the Scorpion but in a newly designed reflector that enables a more focused beam which throws considerably further than the Scorpion. It also has a spare bulb built into the bottom of the lamp assembly and comes with an excellent clip.

Brightmnorm

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep the TTL 2 in my briefcase, and I really like the dual light output. If beam throw is not an issue, I find it to be a good "keep on hand flashlight". Of course I have a set of colored lens for mine so the lower heat output is a plus. It is however a little larger.

Just my .02 cents.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
where'd you get the colored lens?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made them.
I use colored plexiglass, or I find another flashlight with about the same size or larger. I then got a beam diffuser from surefire that fits 1 1/4 inch head. I sand the lens down to fit just inside the lip of the diffuser when it open up. This allows me to put them inside, close the diffuser, and I have a wide angle low light, or I can pop it open, and have more distance with a tighter beam.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Stingray,
For what it's worth, I own a TT 2L and I love it. It's a great light. The build quality and light output are fantastic. I find time and time again, that the dual output configuration is very useful. It really is two lights in one. Are there smaller lights out there? Yes, but the TT is very compact. Are there brighter lights? Sure, but the TT is plenty bright. IMHO, the only way to get a light as useful would be to by a Surefire A2 at roughly 5 times the price.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting a 2L and it is en route. I also ordered a package of TT 3C 3.6V .9A replacement bulbs for it. I am going to try running them in the 2L with a Pila 168 3.7V li-ion cell. Streamlight specs only have them with a 2 lumen difference. The 3C bulb is less voltage but more current. I am hoping this combo will be close to or more bright than the stock config. In tests, the 3C has higher lux, albeit with a larger reflector. Does the Scorpion have a textured reflector like the 2L? If not, that would explain the lesser throw and larger hotspot of the 2L.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion has a textured reflector. Not as orange peely as the Sf E2e, but not smooth either. Its like a medium texture to it allowing for a acceptable beam with artifacts present but its deeper and larger than my E2e head allowing for more throw.

I don't have a TT 2L but I do have the 1L.
12flashlightslens.jpg

The one on the far left is the SL TT 1L and the Scorpion is third from the left. (I know the pictures is a bit dark, hard to flash reflectors.)

12flashlights1.jpg

Here they go lined up with a chapstick and bubble gum as size reference, and also an Arc AAA.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info and pics! Good chart Norm, very informative. The light I keep under the seat of the motorcycle is mostly for emergencies in case of a breakdown. So, maximum throw isn't really that important. The adjustable focus of the scorpion and the spare bulb made it a good choice for emergency repairs, and the little UK 2AAA was a good backup in case I ran down the Scorpion batteries. Plus, they were both inexpensive. Since things tend to get scratched up and bounced around under the seat, I didn't want to keep an expensive light like an A2 under there. So, the TT 2L could probably serve both functions, if I ran down the batteries I could still use the led's to get some light. It's inexpensive (relatively, to a flashaholic) and would save a little space. I'll probably give it a try.

The TL2 and NF2 look like really great lights, but not for this purpose. Are they the same light except for the ring. Botach has the NF2 for $35 on sale right now.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
You brought up another good point. With a standard light, if the bulb burns out or breaks, you're sunk (unless you have a spare on hand). And even if you do, Murphy's Law dictates that it will be dark, cold and raining when you need to change it. With the TT 2L, if your Xenon goes out, you still have the three super-durable LED's which put out plenty of light for most tasks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stingray said:
...The TL2 and NF2 look like really great lights, but not for this purpose. Are they the same light except for the ring. Botach has the NF2 for $35 on sale right now....

[/ QUOTE ]

They should be identical under the skin but I noticed that my TL2 has a tighter, brighter beam than my NF2. A close look at the reflectors revealed that the NF's was slightly more textured than the TL's resulting in a more widely dispersed, Scorpion-like beam

Unless your light is used primarily for handgun duties I would prefer the TL-2. Its very prominent transverse ribbing affords a very positive grip that allows thumb base joint activation, but any Surefire light is much better for this purpose because of the protruding tail button.

The TT2L is a nice, practical light but I find its incandescent beam disappointing. The original Nuwai 2x123 though bigger has a much finer and brighter beam and not just because of a slightly wider bezel. Its reflector texturing is more subtle than the TT2l's which IMO has been saddled with an underperforming reflector. IMO the wrong texturing design was selected for the TT2L.

Brightnorm

WLDock

Newly Enlightened
Also, check out the Xenergy 3-in-1(2L)...
I recently did a comparison of my new Xenergy vs. a Scorpion that a co-worker has and the Xenon setting on the Xenergy is almost as bright and tight.

Before I bought it I looked at the TT-2L and received a lot of positive feedback on this light. However, after checking out flashlightreviews.com I must say that the Xenergy seems to be a better buy for me.

If you look at the chart from flashlightreviews, you can see that the Xenergy has very good output and throw as well as the 6 LED option.

--------------(Overall light/Throw)in LUX
SL Scorpion - 5800/5000

SL TT2L (3LED)- 660/75
SL TT2L (Xenon)- 3500/700

Xenergy (3LED) - 500/50
Xenergy (6LED) - 950/100
Xenergy (Xenon) - 4000/3000
posted from:
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/reviews/output_vs_throw.htm

I bought mine from http://www.flashlightsite.com/fl007.html
for $35.95

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
WLDock said:
Also, check out the Xenergy 3-in-1(2L)...
I recently did a comparison of my new Xenergy vs. a Scorpion that a co-worker has and the Xenon setting on the Xenergy is almost as bright and tight...I must say that the Xenergy seems to be a better buy for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

WLD,

Excellent comparisons. I too found my Nuwai/Xenergy superior to my TT 2-L, though the 2L's smaller size and lighter weight make it quite appealing. The 2L's beam could easily have been improved but unfortunately a decision was made not to.

Brightnorm