I need a flashlight expert to answer a switch question...

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Rather than type it, I made a 46 second video with an example. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could answer this switch question. Thanks:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Not that I know of.

Of course, that's for a twisty UI. There are rotary and clickies, etc, which do not have that problem.

You could add a soft O-ring to the gap, so that it fills the gap, squishing in/out as needed.

Some lights can be "locked out" by using the tail cap rather than the head...which of course just moves the gap issue rearward.

So, a twisty is very reliable, and, allows the light to be smaller as there's no added room to fit a switch...but, as most are on hi when the head is tightened, and looser = dimmer or off, etc...they all have some gap due to the exposed threads.

You might be putting diapers on flies worrying about that gap though, as you could floss that gap periodically, and for the most part never have a problem.

:D

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
The old Maglite Solitaire is different from most other lights with a twisty switch, in that you loosen the head to turn it on, and tighten to turn it off. So when you carry it in your pocket, it's fully tightened and there's no dust collecting gap. I don't know if this is true for the new Solitaire LED though, but if you're good with tools, maybe you could convert an incandescent Solitaire into one that uses a led? OldLumens does it in this video, but I've never tried it myself. He makes it look easy, but I don't think I have the skills :shakehead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh6QLiszDo0

Update: I just watched a video review of the Solitaire LED, it works the same way as the incandescent: loosen to turn it on, tighten to turn it off.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, the Solitaire is not much brighter on than off.

If you can copy the switch mechanism though, that might help your gap.

Swede74

Enlightened
Unfortunately, the Solitaire is not much brighter on than off.

While it's certainly true that the old incandescent Solitaire will do a good job draining your battery quickly and quietly - on a good day it might toss out the occasional photon but you never have to worry about burned retinas - the LED version is actually not so bad, at least not according to Maglite's specifications.

magnt.jpg

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Not that I know of.

Of course, that's for a twisty UI. There are rotary and clickies, etc, which do not have that problem.

You could add a soft O-ring to the gap, so that it fills the gap, squishing in/out as needed.

Some lights can be "locked out" by using the tail cap rather than the head...which of course just moves the gap issue rearward.

So, a twisty is very reliable, and, allows the light to be smaller as there's no added room to fit a switch...but, as most are on hi when the head is tightened, and looser = dimmer or off, etc...they all have some gap due to the exposed threads.

You might be putting diapers on flies worrying about that gap though, as you could floss that gap periodically, and for the most part never have a problem.

Yeah, I'm being a bit silly about the dust, I know... But, I am looking for a little light that can be worn in a pocket while off road motorcycle riding, rafting, jet skiiing, things like that where you are bouncing around a ton and lights are quite likely to get wet and or come on in a pocket and leave you hanging.

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Actually there is!

Titaner ET20.
That is it! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sir.

I have no idea why more lights are not made this way. It would seem logical that one would want the off position to be the most secure. "On" doesn't really matter because you usually have good control of the unit while in use. (unless the headlight of your motorcycle goes out and you strap it on the front or something weird...) But for daily use and carry, "tighten off" seems optimal to me. I just hate when a light wants you to loosen something a bit to put it in "prevent on" mode.

ico

Enlightened
These kinds are rare I suppose because it is harder to make. The simple on and off by the normal twisty is just the connecting and disconnecting the connection of the head and the tail which is easy to make therefore more of these kinds are in production that the other UIs