What's happening to me?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's happening to me?

I've always been a "boy scout" as my wife says. the guy to go to if someone needed a tool, or help fixing something. Had a few Maglites, a few 5mm LED lights, and some vintage copper flashlights I fixed up. caried knives and lights over the years (not so much in current job) but all the time when I was a network tech.

Then I find this place. and the EDC forums.
Wallet is much lighter now. Bag I carry to work is heavier, and I find myself looking at every flashlight I find in the stores.

I only have a couple lights over 500 lumens, but now, looking at 200 lumen lights seems very underwhelming and all my Incans have either been converted to some form of LED or the light has been put in the "garage sale" pile...

how much worse(better) will it get? :help:

scout24

Flashaholic
Run far, run fast... :) Do yourself a favor, though, and keep some of your incan stuff. Trust me. Especially if they are Surefire. Some here come full circle with time, and re-develop an appreciation for the joys of incandescent lights. Some never left it, and are not overwhelmed by the purported benefits of LED's. It's a friendly place, by and large, with a lot of great people. You generally get what you pay for. :) As far as 200 lumens not seeming impressive, more is not always better. Welcome, by the way...

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should invest in a good P60 host and ask either nailbender or vinhnguyen54 to cook you up something. They'll make you some mind-bogglingly bright drop-ins for very affordable price.

I got vinh's XM-L2 copper-bonded drop-in that's driven at 4.2A sitting inside my C2. 1,300 OTF lumens. The only other thing that's brighter than it would be quad XP-G2 drop-ins and MT-G2 on direct drive.

JCD

Enlightened
Do yourself a favor, though, and keep some of your incan stuff. Trust me. Especially if they are Surefire. Some here come full circle with time, and re-develop an appreciation for the joys of incandescent lights. Some never left it, and are not overwhelmed by the purported benefits of LED's. It's a friendly place, by and large, with a lot of great people. You generally get what you pay for. :) As far as 200 lumens not seeming impressive, more is not always better. Welcome, by the way...

+1

This is excellent advice. :)

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run far, run fast... :) Do yourself a favor, though, and keep some of your incan stuff. Trust me. Especially if they are Surefire. Some here come full circle with time, and re-develop an appreciation for the joys of incandescent lights. Some never left it, and are not overwhelmed by the purported benefits of LED's. It's a friendly place, by and large, with a lot of great people. You generally get what you pay for. :) As far as 200 lumens not seeming impressive, more is not always better. Welcome, by the way...

I guess I still have some incan stuff, but I also have a variety of AA and AAA sizes to help me with the not bright stuff as well...

The best incan stuff I had was just Mag, and for how I was using them, the upgrades have been huge improvements...

I plan on infecting some of my extended family members now :)

LGT

Enlightened
Ditto on what scout24 said. I like my LED's, but I also like my incans to the point that any modification will not make them unable to be used as an incan again.Quality LED's can be found just about everywhere. Whereas quality incans are tough to find. I also think over time, you'll come to appreciate a "mere" 200 lumen light. My EDC tops out at 200 lumens and gets much more use then those that can kick it up to 700 to 1000 lumens.....read your last post after posting this one. See your point about modding.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is CPF, the disease is called "flashaholism" and by subscribing to CPF, you signed for a lifetime addiction. There is no hiding; the lights will find you. The best thing you can do at this point is avoid going the cheap route and avoid finding out the hard and expensive way that what you really want are the more expensive lights. You can also skip half of another step by going directly towards custom lights, but I suggest you pile up about 5 to 10 good high quality lights with different tints and interfaces before doing so; having a few more than needed helps keeping the thrirst from burning in the throat and in the wallet, plus it gives you the experience of knowing exactly what your preference is.

Sukram

Newly Enlightened
What's happening to me?

I've always been a "boy scout" as my wife says. the guy to go to if someone needed a tool, or help fixing something. Had a few Maglites, a few 5mm LED lights, and some vintage copper flashlights I fixed up. caried knives and lights over the years (not so much in current job) but all the time when I was a network tech.

Then I find this place. and the EDC forums.
Wallet is much lighter now. Bag I carry to work is heavier, and I find myself looking at every flashlight I find in the stores.

I only have a couple lights over 500 lumens, but now, looking at 200 lumen lights seems very underwhelming and all my Incans have either been converted to some form of LED or the light has been put in the "garage sale" pile...

how much worse(better) will it get? :help:

What light at 200 lumens does seem very underwhelming?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
What light at 200 lumens does seem very underwhelming?
+1...ultrafire 200 lumens rarely are, but sf lumens seem underrated. however, after looking at 2000+ lumens,200 lumens seems lackluster to me as well...maybe lights with more focused beams would remedy the ops malady? p,s,, its not just a chronic disease...it is exponentially chronic :D