Simple AA flood for the glovebox, preferably in neutral white

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened
After a few hours, I figure I might as well ask.

I'm looking for a glovebox torch. It will spend a not insignificant amount of time in my mouth lighting things that are within arms reach. I'd prefer something that was neutral white to better identify wire colors and I'd prefer a nice, even beam pattern that won't glare too much off shiny parts. I would do 2xAA, but 1xAA would be preferable. Brightness and runtime are not my primary concern. I'd like a simple interface, something that won't slip into strobe mode easily...Ideal would be an on/off button, and maybe a hidden strobe mode or hidden low-power mode...I have a Fenix LD and I find cycling through the modes very annoying.

Do they make many neutral floods in this size?

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I got a foursevens Mini MA with XP-G2 led recently, I like it and $30 isn't bad for the quality, but I need something brighter (mantra of a newbie flashaholic, hehe). The mid with the XP-G2 led is 31 lumens, enough for most arms reach use and 8 hr ru time. Good price on amazon, just make sure you get the newer G2 version. High is 116 lumens, to be honest its not a heck of a lot noticeably brighter than the medium to my newbie eyes, except a wider spot and flood outside. 31 to 116 seems at most just 50% or 100% brighter, not ~300% brighter. I guess that's one's eyes adjusting in the dark.

People seem to like the L3 illuminations L10 (Comes in Nichia 219 or XP-G2) as well as that Xeno e03 (this is the newer version btw, seems to be the first small light with the new XM-L2 led).

Here is a recent 1xAA roundup from dusty99 Feb '13 comparing these 2 and others:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Some-recent-small-1xAA-lights&highlight=1xAA

Last edited:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I like the Jetbeam PA40 neurtal as a pickup truck light, The non metalic body is nice in cold weather, and its 4aa's make for really good runtimes. Size is not so much an issue in the vehicle light so thats were my bigger lights are normaly kept. I like to keep a headlamp (cheep energizer or AA ZebraH51fc) in glovebox also. For repair work the headlamp is a better choice for me.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't have described the Eagletac D25A clicky, neutral white XML any better.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the xeno E03. Shiningbeam.com also sells some good AA lights. Lithium AAs have a shelf-life of 10 years. Alkaline batteries tend to leak over time.

stienke

Enlightened
Fenix EO5 , not AA but AAA , very good light with very good color rendation , one outputlevel and a nice floody beam , very usefull for in the glovebox.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an AA floody light for the car, at minimal expense, the Xeno E03 is tough to beat.
For my personal use, I agree with Stienke, I use an AAA Fenix E05.

If you want to spend more money, the new Malkoff MDC in single AA form is a great rugged quality light for under a hundred clams.

mallakoff

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E11 has been good for me, it has neutral white flood beam, AA battery. Tail clicky for on/off and a twist head for modes, low 35 lumens high 115 lumens... nice 'n simple.

I too also use a Fenix E05, very handy AAA light for EDC.

Last edited: