What factors should I consider before replacing a stock bi-pin bulb?

JCD

Enlightened
I recently picked up a Streamlight Night Com because it was just too cheap to pass up (and I've always wanted an SF Aviator). It's my first Streamlight, and I must admit, I really like it.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to replace the bulb. When I do, I would like to use something that can handle rechargeable cells. LiFePO4 cells are my first choice, since they should work well with existing LED drivers, and primaries would probably still work pretty well in a pinch. That said, I'm not completely opposed to using IMR cells if I knew the LEDs would be okay. I'd like to avoid more traditional 4.2 volt lithium ion cells, since it is a multi-cell light.

Is it as easy as finding a ~7 volt bi-pin bulb, or are there other factors I need to consider? The stock (presumably) bulb hasn't yet flashed with LiFePO4 cells drained slightly to 3.35 volts before installation, but I suspect their use will shorten the bulb life. I'd prefer to replace it with something that can handle the extra voltage when that time comes.

I'm not interested in making a pocket rocket out of it. I'd rather have 50-75 lumens and practical runtime. The two levels of red light should help preserve my night vision, so switching to the Xenon emitter will already serve as a "turbo" mode without a ton of lumens. Plus, the reflector is plastic and the window is polycarbonate, so heat is a consideration.