Led Lenser Adjustable Focus Mechanism

wobble987

Newly Enlightened
Was wondering how led lenser adjustable focus system works? The locking mechanism in particular.

how durable is it?

If I were to move (adjust) it whilst it was in locked position; will it damage the mechanism in any way?

I'am also wondering if the mechanism (seal/tightness) will go loose overtime.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not tell you how it works, but it works better than any other light I own by quite a bit! You may damage it if you force it to move while locked. Being a moving part, I would say that it could weaken over time, and could be a weak spot if dropped. I own two of their focusing lights, and they seem to be made very well, but I have not had any accidents with them! I think the weakest part of them is the battery holder that Coast / LED Lenser is so fond of!!

Last edited:

wobble987

Newly Enlightened
it appear to be made by some rubber (ring? - i hear it squeaks), and the friction around that must have created some holding friction. when tightened.

doesn't appear to have some ratchet mechanism going on.

i sort of did it somewhat half-locked. not realizing it is half locked, it still able to somewhat easily slide.

which made me think, why they make it like that. if it were me, i would use some sort of metal ratchet/gear system (in addition to rubber gasket), so once it is locked, it is locked for sure.

very nice torch. was thinking of getting another one soon. love the focusing system.

i wonder if there is any documentation from led lenser...

wobble987

Newly Enlightened
the photos you post are awesome!
does the x21r comes with lock/unlock mechanism?
i found the locking mechanism on the m14 to be getting in the way.