Homemade CR123 light

andi15

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

this is my latest homemade light.
Some facts:

• Current supply: 1 x CR123A battery
  • Led: 1 x XP-G2 R5 3D (neutral white) on a copper star
  • Runtime: about 2 hours at the high setting, 7 hours at the middle setting and 25 hours at the low setting
  • Output: about 200 OTF lumens
  • Reflektor: 20 x 15 mm smooth reflector
  • Switch: McClicky
  • Material: AlZnMgCu 1,5 bead blasted and 1.4301 stainless steel
  • Dimensiones: 93mm x 25,2mm
  • Weigth: 92 g (battery includet)

I hope you like it:

dscf40165xuz7.jpg

dscf3927mauq7.jpg

dscf3915iuun9.jpg

dscf40188vuy6.jpg

dscf4019m0uzv.jpg

dscf40211suqc.jpg

dscf4028ptuq2.jpg

I am looking forward to your questions and your critique :)

Thank you for reading and

Regards
Fritz

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
That is very nice. Very clean looking work on body parts and threads. You are going to have members asking you to make one for them. Is that material hard to work? Definitely exotic metals there.

Bill

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
Wow, your machining and photography skills are superb.

Nice work on the light! Does the reflector allow for beam adjustment?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fritz,

First the compliments: Very nice looking light and excellent machining.

And now some design suggestions:

Recess the McClicky rubber boot so that the light can be stood on its tail. That would help prevent accidental activation also. Second, with click lights, the maker is given more opportunity to hide the joins between the pieces. If you look at the seam between the head and the battery tube, you appear to have a bevel on both pieces, creating a very visible seam, one that would be easy to hide with with a little effort.

HideSeamSuggestion_zpse8883d90.png

Tiresius

Enlightened
Light looks amazing but the machining looks even more gorgeous. The bezel ring reminds me of the HDS'. If you can, make the light completely flush with no gaps between the bezel, body and tail-cap. Since you're doing the machining, you have complete control of the quality. Make it count.

andi15

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers!

You are right PhotonFanatic, I also wanted to hide the rubber boot but I have no digital scale at my lathe and so I miscounted and made the tailcap 1.50 mm too short :rolleyes:
The gapp between the body and the head is because the light can be locked out if you loosen the Head. You see it in this picture:
dscf402931uky.jpg

So a small gap is unavoidable. I could reduce it from 0.5 mm to 0.1 mm but I think 0.5 mm is more practical.
The gapp between the tailcap and the body is because of the seam between the head and the body :D

[...]Does the reflector allow for beam adjustment?

Sorry, but I do not really know, what you ment with this. My english is not that good...

Fritz

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I think what jkpq45 is asking is if the beam is focusable like on a maglite. I'm guessing probably not as it looks like a fixed focus.

What a beautiful light! It makes many brand-name manufacturers products look like dog turd compared to yours:D. Nicely done!

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
LilKevin is correct; can the light's output be adjusted from flood-mode to spot-mode?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing looks beautiful... simple and practical... keep updating us with your creations, some serious jaw-dropping is involved here... :thumbsup: