AMC 7135 soldering question

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
I have a 8 X AMC7135 and I want to solder on 1 more bare AMC 7135 chip on top of one of the existing ones. I already have the bare 7135s too I know i bridge the 3 legs but do i have to do something with the ground on the back?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would. I think the center leg and the tab on the back are the same contact but it would help hold it down, that and the rear tab is the spot that is used on the drivers.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually people break/cut off the middle leg then bend other two downwards so it's easier to solder them down (ground on the back needs to be soldered as well but don't try to bend that one)... there is few examples in modding area of how it's done...

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, i didnt know that the back and middle were the same i noticed when i took that little tiny dude out of the package.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Usually people break/cut off the middle leg then bend other two downwards so it's easier to solder them down (ground on the back needs to be soldered as well but don't try to bend that one)... there is few examples in modding area of how it's done...

Thats how i do it. Here is a pic (click to enlarge).

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
WOW that looks nice, Do you have any tips on actually soldering those legs? I have some solder paste on the way and a small tip

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Solder paste?:thinking: Solder paste is used for reflowing LED's onto mcpcb's.

As far as useful tips go make sure you have at least a few spare chips. When I was working on one of the chips I accidentally broke off one of the legs when bending it ( I wasn't being rough either). After you bend both outer legs down you can then snip off the center leg. If your not comfortable bending the legs you can use a tiny piece of copper wire in between the legs to connect the stacked chips. I'd recommend alligator clips, a small clamp, etc. to hold the chip in place while soldering. Once you have one leg soldered you can remove the clamp as the cooled solder will hold the chip in place; assuming your solder joint is good. The first time I tried to stack some chips I had to desolder the joint with my solder sucker and redo the joint. It takes practice depending on the skill level of soldering you are at. For these chips I find it unnecessary to pre-tin the contacts on the chip. Just heat up both legs at the same time with your tip for a second and apply your solder. Also you hardly need any solder at all for the small legs, just a tiny dab is more than enough. The larger tab connection (ground) requires more solder then the tiny legs though.

Tiresius

Enlightened
stacking AMC drivers?

I read somewhere that you can stack two or more drivers to get a higher output without getting a larger driver for higher amperage.

Anyone know how it's done? Is it positive output to positive input of the next driver and same for negative? Or is it positive output to negative input of next driver?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: stacking AMC drivers?

Oh. Very appropriate. My apologies for the disrespectful tone.

Is there some way I could have known that? Even in hindsight, I don't see it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: stacking AMC drivers?

Is there some way I could have known that? Even in hindsight, I don't see it.
I left Tiresius' title unchanged, that is the only way you would know. I should have noted the thread merge.

Norm

Latest posts