King of throw?

BaseCamp

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of looking for a replacement to my throw-lights.
I currently use incan ASP and SF6, and no, they are not broken, but I want an other one. I think you guys understand…
My criteria are: small 2x123 or 2xAA, close to no side spill, good beam colour and a really tight spot.
It will be used in short interval, mainly in people's faces at ranges between 6-15 meters.
Money is no big issue and endurance is just a matter of spare batteries.

Onward,
Holst

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm,

Seems like a MM+madMax or BB with a high ranked 1W under a Fraen might be what you're looking for. Maybe a 5W version in a PM6 host would be even more potent.

I think.

Wilkey

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure, but I think the pelican reflector (pm6) throws further then the fraen, but it also has a lot of sidespill. The 1w/3w throws further in the PR then a 5w.

Leds can be used with the PR in either a Mcmodule (www.theledguy.com) in a pelican m6 host, or in a McLux PR head on a surefire e-series or mclux body.

the surefire KL4 modded with a 1w/3w is also supposed to throw well for its smaller size, but it also has sidespill.

Like wilkey said, a regular Mclux or a mag 2xAA with a 1w/3w sandwich and fraen low profile optic should be just the ticket to avoid sidespill.

2x123 in a mclux or e-series body can give the 1w/3w a tad more punch than 2xAA's.

If sidespill is ok and runtime is not important, I think the stock pelican M6 incandescent is brighter than all the above.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The absolutely longest throwing, smallest 2x123 cell light is the SureFire E2E/E2O with an E2C adapter equipped with a SRTH and N1 LA. Nothing will out throw that light in the same sized package.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
The absolutely longest throwing, smallest 2x123 cell light is the SureFire E2E/E2O with an E2C adapter equipped with a SRTH and N1 LA. Nothing will out throw that light in the same sized package.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nascar,

I agree, with the possible exception of a T1/2 3" Turbohead When I tried this combination the spot seem lightly smaller and more instense than the SRTH, but that was back before I started conducting more thorough and objective tests.

Not only is the E2E/SRTH long throwing, it has one of the roundest most perfect beams I've seen in any light.

Brightnorm

Heck

Enlightened
I'm no pro at this, but I think if you want to temporarily blind someone, you need a good compromise between throw and spill......too tight of a focus you might miss the eyes and probably won't do much unless you get the person dead on the face....whereas the beam of a let's say...a P60, you can shine it somewhat on target and get effective results...

My experience is that th P60 and P61 works well temporarily blinding someone....even thought it might not have the exact throw you're looking for....just my 2 cents.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I've got the N1 in a KT1-HA, which is on an E2O via the E2C. It's not as tight as the SRTH or T1, but it's not too bad. AilSnail said the T1/N1 out threw the Pelican M6 with the X3T. The T4/N4, on AA MiMH batteries, is nothing to sneeze at, but too long.
oldgrandpajack

BaseCamp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the posts!

I feel I have to precise my request a little, so you don't get the wrong impression of me. I don't really put people out of their misery by flashing the torch in their direction.
My main purpose for the flashlight is to get the attention form my fellow human beings in places where shouting doesn't do the trick (concerts,…). Keeping the side spill down is preferred but not critical. A turbo-head configuration has struck me before but the problem is the size. I really want to keep the package small.
All this calls for a compromise. M6 seam to do the trick, especially when looking at it with economical eyes, and seem like a good host if/when I get the time for some modding.

All the lights I currently use does work but there always room for "one" more./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif