Who makes the most powerful small LED flashlight?

D

DONAG

Although I don't own an ARC-AAA. I wasn't impress with the image of the light beam shown in a review. It seemed to have a bright center, but brightness faded toward the edges.

Packaging also wasn't impressive and cost to Canada would be close to $34.00 US

I haven't tried a Streamlight Keymate and picking one up today, so i'll check this one out. Price is $18.00 or $13.85 US

I bought a German model which was nicely packaged in an aluminum box with push button release for $18.00 Canadian ($13.85 US).

This model throws up what is called a Moon Beam stream of light and brightness remains the same from center to outer edge at 25'

All seem to be the same size, but just curious if the ARC-AAA is worth the extra money and how good is it?

Anyone own a Keymate model which they were able to compare?

Thanks

DON

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Have a look at the Dorcy 3LED 1AA at Home Hardware. C$17.97 until the end of December. Bright and handy with the tail-cap switch. I have an Arc AAA standard also. Bought it at www.cfrlights.com for US$25.95, shipping included. I didn't have to pay HST (PST/GST in Ontario) on it. The Dorcy is brighter, water-resistant only. Arc is tough, small, waterproof and you'll never lose it on your keyring. I use the Dorcy most of the time, the Arc gives me peace of mind. Buy both; each comes in a clamshell pack of similar size and quality.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both...well sort of...my wife claimed the Keymate many months ago (it`s just so cute). I could be wrong but agree it is the brightest small single 5mm LED in production. It`s overdriven to 6 volts...add the reflecter...and I think thats why its so bright. Of course...compared to the Arc it has a short "high brightness" run time. The Arc would take the lead after a short time...at least I assume it would...never replaced the batts in my wifes as she uses only when she needs it (as compared to me running lights for no reason at all, hey thats why I`m here...to be cured). I played with hers last weekend at a resterant and it`s still very bright.

Ken

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DONAG said:
Although I don't own an ARC-AAA. I wasn't impress with the image of the light beam shown in a review. It seemed to have a bright center, but brightness faded toward the edges.

Packaging also wasn't impressive and cost to Canada would be close to $34.00 US

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the ArcAAA is the favorite light here winning the covetted Lummies.....

BUT I found its beam, although without a doubt nice - not quite as useful as the Ultra-G - the ArcAAA's overall circle/side-spill being about 2/3 that of the Ultra-G.

The Ultra-G lights up a normal sized room well - whereas in comparison the ArcAAA seems like looking down a tunnel.

However the recent introduction of the Dorcy 1AAA - at only $5.94 from Wal-Marts - will give both these highly vaulted lights a good run for their money. My sample of one - the Dorcy 1AAA with the battery supplied, seems just noticably brighter than either ArcAAA or the Ultra-G.

fa8f0c56.jpg

l to r: ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA, CMG Ultra-G

I particularly like the size and form factor - especially the push tail switch (for momentary on).

It seems that the beam may be a luck of the draw - I seemed to have been lucky in getting one that's more than acceptable both in whiteness and eveness - the overall circle of light/side-spill is about the same as the Ultra-G - for more details please take a look at this thread:

Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

I like it enough that the Dorcy 1AAA is now my "trial" EDC.......

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Who makes the most powerful small LED flashlig

DONAG, you may have aquired a LedLenser V1 or V9 light ( look here to have a look ) with a moon beam.
While it is a cool light - I have to admit that I actually like those LedLensers as some of you might already have noticed - it is in no way a match to the Arc AAA ...
... because: the Arc is more rugged, waterproof, has less weight, is semi-regulated and runs longer (do not believe the runtime claims of LedLenser) and uses a cheap battery while the LedLenser uses button cells. The only drawback of the Arc here is initial brightness and beauty which lies in the eye of the beholder though.
If you want nice fancy lights in cool design and lots of different styles, go LedLenser. It it is a tool for serious work you want, nothing beats the Arc ...
bernhard

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Donag-

The ARC-AAA is a keychain LED light. It's output power is approx 3 lumen.

Are you aware of ARC's and Surefire LED lights that are what most people would call very small (3-5 inches long) and have outputs of 17 - 60 lumen?

GregR

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I think any discussion of key chain size lights (where price isn't mentioned as an issue) should include Lambda's Micro Illuminator. It's at the upper end of keychain size lights, but works well. The beam's perfect with a great hotspot and ample spill. I just picked up a Dorcy 3LED yesterday. For $19 Cdn it's very impressive! A bit large for the key chain though. I've never liked the beam of my Arc AAA, but it's only a problem when reading or shining on white walls. If you absolutely NEED your light to work, wet or dry, then the Arc is the answer. The arc is always with me on a paracord lanyard around my neck, or on the key chain. My Micro Illuminator is always in my pocket for when I need more light.

dorcyx5miarcaaa.jpg

Left to right, Dorcy 3LED 1AA, Inova x5, Micro Illuminator, Arc AAA

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the arc aaa isn't really made for brightness. it is made to be the ideal small edc light.

the arc lsh-p is the smallest and brightest commercially available light there is currently. of course, it costs a whole lot more than the the 5mm type leds.

5mm leds really do have their limit. if you want brighter, you're going to need more leds. something like an inova x1 will provide a bright and tight beam, but no sidespill.

paulr

Flashaholic
Um, the Surefire L4 is much brighter than the LSH-P. If you want to count only 1x123 lights, the TW4 (KL4 head on E1e body) is also brighter than the LSH-P, though calling it commercially available may be a little bit of a stretch.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The L4 also uses a 5 watt Luxeon HD emitter, while the Arc LSH uses a 1 watt HD emitter. Duh!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i said "smallest and brightest" not "brightest" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

The ARC AAA is in a league of it's own. You can compare the characteristics of other small lights to it, but none are even close to the quality of the ARC. It's built like a tank. There are those on this forum that have tried to "kill" one - nearly impossible.

Don't take me wrong - I have many other small lights. I use them and like them, but if I could only have one small light, it would be an ARC AAA.

I understand that several coin cell lights are brighter than than an ARC AAA - for about the first 15 or 20 minutes. Again, I have several, but I don't use them often and I don't depend on them.

The ARC uses a readily available battery that can always be bought for less than $0.50 from almost anywhere and burns in its bightest mode for 5 to 7 hours. It's waterproof to 50 feet and comes with a 10 year warranty. None of the other small lights that I know of come with the Type III HA finish that the ARC does and it has a legendary customer service track record.

And no, I don't work for ARC. Just think it's a great company with a great product that's second to none.