Streamlight ProTac flashlights get new TEN-TAP progamming feature?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to increased brightness ratings for most of the ProTac flashlight line, the Streamlight web site shows that some of the ProTac lights feature TEN-TAP programming. This gives you the choice, among other things, of hiding the strobe mode.

You can see TEN-TAP described in the operating instructions PDF file for each model. Apparently, the ProTac EMS and 2AAA models have not been upgraded yet.

I think the TEN-TAP feature is new to this generation and was not included on the original ProTac line. There had been several complaints about having to go through strobe mode to get to the low brightness mode on the original lights.

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Thank you very much for alerting us !
icon14.gif

What is their "C4 LED" ? Does it have properties or a beam pattern similar to any of the XPE , XRE, XPG, XML LEDs ?

Here is a link to the Protac series:
http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=30

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is their "C4 LED" ? Does it have properties or a beam pattern similar to any of the XPE , XRE, XPG, XML LEDs ?

My understanding is that "C4 LED Technology" means "Whatever LED we felt like tossing in there." It tends to be Crees these days. They do tend to choose appropriate and adequate LEDs, but they don't like to advertise part numbers. If they promise a particular part, we nuts might complain about it being the wrong one (Why don't you have the XM-L version for more lumens AND an XP-C version for more throw? Why does the driver not reach every ounce of performance for this LED? With a moonlight mode? And five blinking patterns and infinite dimming? Why does it cost so much now? I miss the classic StreamLights), or they might have to change their sales literature more often than they'd like. For many people, the exact Cree model isn't very important.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few questions about Streamlight's TEN-TAP feature which are not answered by their literature.

For instance, does the TEN-TAP feature draw current from the battery when the flashlight is off? If so, how much current?

Must the user reprogram the light after changing the battery?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
For instance, does the TEN-TAP feature draw current from the battery when the flashlight is off? If so, how much current?

Must the user reprogram the light after changing the battery?
There is no standby current, as the tail switch is mechanical. Even if the batteries are removed for a while, the light still remembers the programmed function set.

Retinator

Enlightened
Nice to hear, I hate the middle mode being strobe.
The HL is a beauty for this!

Guess I'll hold off on getting the 2-AA & 2-123a setups.

They are pretty good lights for the money & warranty IMO.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for alerting us !
icon14.gif

Here is a link to the Protac series:
http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=30

As someone said, their "C4" LED's are a moving target. However, I can tell you for a fact that the ProTac HL has a Cree XM-L in it. Also, my Streamlight Waypoint had a Cree XR-E in it and both of these lights use the "C4" LED. Most of their target market, first responders, aren't flashaholics who know the latest and greatest brands, models, and bins of LED's. I am a cop and most other officers, firefighters, and EMS I know just care about the performance and reliability of a light and don't even know what CREE, Luminous, or Luxeon are! I, however, am officially a flashaholic and hopelessly addicted. The ten-tap program is a very good design in my opinion as it allows the end user to decide exactly how their light will work.