Burned My Fingers on Flashlight!

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to share a little story:

I recently acquired a Trustfire Mini-01 XM-L T6 which replaced an iTP A3 EOS as my keychain light. I run it exclusively on AW IMR 16340's :)devil:)and I absolutely freaking love it. Anyways, I left my office yesterday, locked the front door (using keys with Mini-01 attached), put the keys back in my pocket, got in my car and set off towards my house.

I got about 5 minutes down the road and i felt something really hot in my keys pocket all of a sudden. I instantly realized it was my light, reached in my pocket to grab the light and it was HOTTER THAN HELL!! I'm guessing it was 200°+ as it instantly burned me:eek:. I pulled my hand out, licked my fingers, went back in, grabbed it, and threw it on the seat. The light wasn't on anymore so I assumed it had burned out the LED:mecry:. Even though IMR's are "safe", I wanted to remove the battery so I further burned my finger tips unscrewing the light and taking the battery out, which I promptly placed on the floor of the back seat. The battery was only warm:thumbsup:. When I got home about 10 minutes later, the head of the light was still hot enough that it couldn't be comfortably held in my hand. I was worried that the cell had been over discharged as it wasn't fresh before this incident; luckily it was still at 3.7V so it's fine. I fully expected for the light to be ruined but after it cooled off I put it back together and it worked perfectly, seems just as bright as before so I suppose there's no harm done.

I learned my lesson though, I now unscrew it a full half-turn past the off point so that even downward pressure doesn't turn the light on. I used to turn it just enough for it to turn off.

Anyways, thought you guys would get some enjoyment from my story, my fingertips still hurt!

PS_Sorry for all the smilies, I just felt like using those for once!

Swede74

Enlightened
You forgot to use this smiley :twothumbs I have inserted it for you in the proper place :D
I fully expected for the light to be ruined but after it cooled off I put it back together and it worked perfectly:twothumbs seems just as bright as before so I suppose there's no harm done.

I hope your fingertips are feeling better. Some time ago I came close to ordering a Trustfire Mini-01 myself. It would have been my first stainless steel light. I had recently bought three other lights though, so I have to exercise restraint on spending for the time being. That said, I think there is a good chance a Mini-01 will be residing on my keychain at some point in the future.

Thanks for sharing your story.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot to use this smiley :twothumbs I have inserted it for you in the proper place :D

I hope your fingertips are feeling better. Some time ago I came close to ordering a Trustfire Mini-01 myself. It would have been my first stainless steel light. I had recently bought three other lights though, so I have to exercise restraint on spending for the time being. That said, I think there is a good chance a Mini-01 will be residing on my keychain at some point in the future.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Haha, thanks for the extra smiley faces! I think you really should get the Mini-01, it really has a good shock and awe for such a small light but it's still super useful on it's "low" setting and has a really nice and wide beam, I love it! If it had a clip I'd EDC it instead of keychain carry it.

It's my first and only stainless steel light but I love the heft it gives to my keychain because my keychain consists of 3 house-type keys and the Mini-01, it needed some weight!