SF E2e / Pelican M6 li size/beam/gen comparison?

HesNot

Enlightened
I'm struggling over the M6 (at less than half the cost) versus the E2e (insanely popular - there must be a reason right?) to fill a small incandescent with throw niche in my arsenal.

Here's what I know thus far comparing the two -

M6 - very bright (perhaps brighter than the E2e), shorter run time, larger (I think, anyone have a side by side shot?), longer throw, spotty build quality, much less expensive.

E2e - seemingly on everyone's list of "must haves", better beam quality, slightly longer runtime, upgrade options to KL1 or KL4 heads and clickie switches, better build quality.

Both have great warranties. I already have an LSH-P with 2AA pack for my general all around use light.

Any beam shots, side by side shots and general recommendations?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the LSH-P is already your EDC, then you would be better going for the pelican M6, which has more throw than the E2e, and is cheaper too. you could also the PM6 mcmodule and have a led light if you decide you want to later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the E2e is largely popular due to its small size, which makes it very EDC-friendly.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6 Scorpion E2e

I think for most throw is you don't mind a little bigger light is the Pelican M6.

It is surely not as refined as the E2e but feels nice. I had a silver PM6 with me until I lost it.

So my Scorpion after coming back from repairs (covered by warranty, SL replaced the entire head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) is my on-duty light.

For EDC SF E2e because of the size. If you get a horizontal holster for the PM6, it should not be a problem.

Nylon pouch

I like that pouch very much. My E2e resides in one. Also the PM6 I lost lived in one (now in the hands of a happy new owner who found it on the train lol.)

HesNot

Enlightened
Jason - great shots and comparisons, the M6 is quite a bit bigger than the E2e which surprised me. I hadn't thought of the Scorpion but the size is appealing (as is the price). The M6 beam really is nice though....

I thought this would be a slam dunk in favor of the E2e but apparently not...

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, not my review, have it on my favorites list.

On paper it doesn't sound like much but it is bigger (PM6 vs. E2e that is.)

A nice balance between the two is the SL Scorpion. I have one and its a good light, but the rubber sleeve sucks IMHO. I tried glue, hairspray, some crazy glue, it just keeps on moving back every few clicks on and off.

Using the same bulb but with an upgraded lens (glass instead of plastic) is the SL TL-2. I read some really nice reviews on it and I will probably get it next year to replace my Scorpion.

The small differences make me choose a specific light for each task. EDC in clothes body is E2e. Back-up to my Tigerlight is the Scorpion or the TT 1L. For field use I use my TT 1L because it can take the abuse (trust me, my 1L has been through a lot, just like my Arc AAA that still refuses to not light.)

Mattman

Enlightened
HesNot, you're going down an almost identical road to me. I just started thinking the other day that I'd like to get a real flashlight to replace my 3D aluminum softball bat. I saw the M6 for only $30 over at batterystation, which fits my pretty small budget nicely. I only plan on using it when I need more throw than my LSH-P can provide, so it'll be an occasional use light only, making build quality a smaller part of the equation. With the mostly favorable reviews I see, I'm thinking it's going to be my next light.

HesNot

Enlightened
Mattman - that $30 special at batterystation is what got me started down this road as well (and by the way, I use my ARC AAA almost exclusively and the CMG Ultra Infinity has found its way into my car, just as you predicted!).

I can't really justify the extra expense of the E2e, but the size, ability to throw a KL1 head on it (which I don't really need since I have an LSH-P) or a KL4, and general accolades make it tempting to save a little more.

Like you, I have several baseball bats around the house that aren't getting much use and I only would use the E2e or M6 for long throw situations (maybe 5-10% of my normal usage).

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2e can be carried in the back pocket without really being noticable or obtrusive when you sit down. The scorpion, G2, 6P, and M6 are much more noticable and uncomfortable in a back pocket. I don't have a TT or TL to compare. If you use a belt holster, then the size difference isn't really that important and go with the features you deem most important to your needs.

Mattman

Enlightened
HesNot, I'm glad I shot my mouth off about something and it actually came true! I'm so happy with my AAA that I'm buying them as presents for others that enjoy cool stuff (my brothers both have them now, hehe).

If price were a main requirement, would anyone argue with the choice of an M6 over the other lights discussed in this thread? I didn't feel good about it, but I had to dig out my old 3D Mag (in a drawer for months before that) to check my roof for damage the other night. The next time that happens, I want a nice light to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HesNot

Enlightened
Mattman - maybe you should by the M6, I'll buy an E2e and we can swap them after a few weeks to compare them both. Then settle on which one we like best and swap $ for the difference if you like the E2e better?

I have to ask the question why you weren't using your LSH-P to check out the roof? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I use mine for almost all my home utility tasks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
HesNot said:
I'm struggling over the M6 (at less than half the cost) versus the E2e (insanely popular ...

[/ QUOTE ]

HN,

For comparative sizes check out this chart in Reviews:

INSTANT SPECS FOR 54 POPULAR LIGHTS - 5th EDITION UPDATED

The PM6 is a remarkable light which, when properly and carefully adjusted is one of the three longest-throwing 2x123 lights in current production. If you want to illuminate things at a distance with the smallest andbrightest light this is the one for you. I consider the PM6 a holster light as opposed to the E2E which can be a comfortable pocket light (especially with M2 clip).

PELICAN M6 EQUALS BRIGHTNESS & THROW OF 2 BRIGHTEST 2x123 LIGHTS

The PM6 represents advanced design in its reflector and especially its bulb which has the longest rated burn life (not time) of any 2x123 bulb. It also is a more efficient bulb than others as this excellent runtime chart by Brock illustrates:

BROCK'S PELICAN M6 RUNTIME CHART

Brightnorm

HesNot

Enlightened
Thanks Brightnorm - an impressive array of reviews and data!

Size aside the M6 appears to be a really impressive light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hesnot-

My feeling is that you really want that E2e, you wont be happy until you have it, but your are hoping we'll give you reasons for settling for second best.

I predict that you will buy the Pel M6, and then within 8 months buy the E2e anyway.

At that point you will feel and hold the two in your hand and maybe say to yourself..I probibly should have just waited and got the E2e instead of letting the money burn a hole in my pocket. See that E2e will now have cost you $30 more than if you just bought what you wanted.

I can say that because I've done that very thing myself several times and I've now come to the conclusion it's cheaper just to buy want you really really want the first time around.

of course the standard motto here is "buy them both!"

GregR

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
...but your are hoping we'll give you reasons for settling for second best...of course the standard motto here is "buy them both!"
GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg,

Although the E2E is unquestionably a "finer" light, since the two lights are so different and serve different design goals I like to think of them as two lights that are excellent for their intended purposes.

Of course I could never disagree with your last sentence! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brightnorm

Mattman

Enlightened
I can't believe I forgot brightnorm's chart! Along with his other review, it pretty much answered my questions. Since I'm looking for an affordable, bright light for infrequent use, the M6 looks like a winner.

HesNot, if I get an M6, I doubt it would be worth comparing to the E2e (for me anyway) since I'm looking to add more power than that to my collection. As for my LSH-P and roof checking duty, I had it in my other hand as I used my 3D. Sadly it wouldn't illuminate the roof well enough from where I was standing to see if any shingles had been damaged. As soon as I was done looking, the 3D went off and the Arc came on. Back to storage for you, baseball bat!

83Venture

Enlightened
We have had several wind/rain storms in Maryland recently and are expecting another this afternoon. Have a lot of tree and roof damage in the area, I was replacing shingles Sunday afternoon. When I get home in the evening its already dark so I use a cheap rechargable spotlight to check the roof. Puts out much more light than any of my more expensive Flashaholic lights.

HesNot

Enlightened
I'm thinking of them both as small lights with a strong beam and good (to exellent in the case of the Pelican) throw.

I am drawn to the Surefire, mostly due to the size, but need a light with decent throw. Will the E2e fill that need? The Pelican obviously has more throw than the E2e based on the beamshots I've seen, so is their primary distinction - Pelican= belt carry, more throw; E2e= edc/pocket carry with less throw (the concession for the smaller size)?

I guess ultimately I'll just have to buy one or the other and see if it meets my needs.

So many have advocated the E2e, ARC LS, ARC AAA trinity as the ultimate EDC collection, and I've got two of those already...

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican M6 Tactical Flashlight & Holster $29.95
A CNC machined aluminum flashlight powered by two CR123 lithium cells. The ... of ten years. Free Ballistic Nylon Holster Included w\Purchase Legendary Pelican Lifetime Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee Pelican M6 w\Factory Tactical Pressure Pad & Fobus Flashlight Mount ...

www.botachtactical.com