Newbie Question: Five Mode dropping Voltage

YourHuckleberry

Newly Enlightened
Before yesterday, I had never heard of drop-ins or custom flashlights so...thanks!

Anyway, I'm looking at a solarforce l2p. I'm shopping on sblashlights.com because I'm very green and it seems to have a pre-selected list of drop-in assemblies that minimize the chance of me screwing something up. I'd like the added functionality of a five mode drop-in, but I see that takes the voltage up to 4.2V-8.4V (from 0.8V-4.2V on the three mode). My understanding from the other posts I've read is that ordinarily this host can't handle the higher voltages. But I'm confused as to why the site would give me the option for it on that host if it wasn't possible.

So my questions are:

(1.) Why does the addition of SOS and strobe modes require more voltage? Is the light brighter on pulse mode? It seems like the strobe and SOS modes should just be intermittent discharges of the same power as max intensity (on the three-mode). Am I wrong about that? And...

(2.) Can I use a 4.2V-8.4V drop-in on an l2p with a single 18650 or two CR123A cells without overheating, damaging the led, or exhausting the batteries too quickly provided that I avoid pulse modes most of the time? In other words, are the higher voltages on the five mode drop-in only present when in pulse modes, or are even the hi, med, and low settings drawing higher voltages, too?

Latest posts