Dereelight DBS V3 SST-50: Needs an upgrade!

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Love my DBS but caught the flashlight bug and left it to age gracefully :p.

I'm thinking of making it my coat pocket thrower on a 18650. The more lux the better. A Vinh pill more than likely. Part of me wants to go mah efficient with a XR-E2 or XPG-2 driven hard and the other real output via a high amp SST-50 or XM-L2.

What do you all think? Think the small dies make sense? I don't mind the tiny spot.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

Love my DBS but caught the flashlight bug and left it to age gracefully :p.

I'm thinking of making it my coat pocket thrower on a 18650. The more lux the better. A Vinh pill more than likely. Part of me wants to go mah efficient with a XR-E2 or XPG-2 driven hard and the other real output via a high amp SST-50 or XM-L2.

What do you all think? Think the small dies make sense? I don't mind the tiny spot.

If you don't mind the tiny powerful squarish LED shaped spot that has no spill whatsoever then you will love using the XR-E R2 EZ900 with the aspheric lens like the one I have owned for years.

The smaller footprint of that LED makes for great throwing abilities especially when an aspheric lens is used in front of it.

I still have the DBS-T multi level 2MT-M version and I use two Li-ion 18500 batteries when I want a short pocket thrower or two 18650 batteries when I want longer run times using the EXT500 and EXT650 extenders that are available from Dereelight.

The above setup is truly a "POCKET ROCKET" for around $100.

I have plenty of flashlights including a lot of throwers and this one has been overlooked by many flashlight users.

The Dereelight range is so versatile and so "LEGOABLE" in the way you can mix and match the components to get a different flashlight setup that suits your needs at any time your needs change or maybe when you just want to have a bit of variety available to try out new combinations of things.

The aspheric lens sold by Dereelight is quite a good one at the low price that it is sold for.

CHEERS

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Oz!

Yea it's a great platform and one you don't hear much about anymore with all the fancy lights and budget throwers. I have the Asphericial (Night Master 1) and really like it even with the EZ1000. I do prefer the normal reflector for pocket use. Having a bit of spill is handy too even if it robs performance.

Cheers,

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using a CustomLites 1 mode 4500K XM-L2 pill in my DBS V3 and it is great. The throw doesn't seem too much of a loss vs. the XR-E I had in it and the beam is much nicer with way more output. It literally seems like a mini version of my neutral white Thrunite Catapult V3 and the great thing is I am running the DBS on a single 18650. Make sure you let whoever you get a pill from know that you are putting it in a DBS so they can give you a tapered brass pill that is not epoxied to a small P60 reflector.

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr. Tone!

Yea I know the factory DBS XM-L (from way back) was given a lux rating of like 30k by Jay at Flashlightconnection.

I'm curious how a 1.8a or so XP-E2 vs a 4a or so XM-L2 (40k lux?). Further if the DBS switch would last. I'm considering a small die for runtime but that beefy beam is tempting :).

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mr. Tone!

Yea I know the factory DBS XM-L (from way back) was given a lux rating of like 30k by Jay at Flashlightconnection.

I'm curious how a 1.8a or so XP-E2 vs a 4a or so XM-L2 (40k lux?). Further if the DBS switch would last. I'm considering a small die for runtime but that beefy beam is tempting :).

If you are struggling between max lux, lumens, and runtime choices a happy medium for you would be to go with a XP-G2 for more lux and lumens than XR-E and XP-E and almost the same runtime. The lux difference would be measurable but probably not a big deal in the real world. The XP-G2 CustomLites pills are driven at 1.4-1.5 amps on high.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just yesterday I got an inexpensive XM-L2 drop-in from KD, the 1-mode unit (good tint, centered emitter)
Put the pill in my 2x18650 DBS setup and it's very happy to be there:thumbsup:

There is nothing outdated about the DBS, it keeps givin' and givin' good value for its upgradability.
Large die xm-l2 gives a very usable throw beam and fully recommend it.
The high lux pencil beam 'wow factor' lose functionality quick.

If you don't have the smooth DBS reflector, make sure its on the parts list....

Blerv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Orbital :).

Yea it's SMO and I'm planning on getting the diffuser sometime too. I had the XRE in it for a while to see what I thought. It's definitely not the SST-50. I've got a Maelstrom S12 so thinking a more specialized beam. That said, if its like 5k lux extra for a marginal user that prob doesn't make sense.

I wish Dereelight marketed better. Seems you don't hear much about them these days despite some awesome products.