How important is communication?

Frank1967

Enlightened
As I continue to wait for a response from Michael I have been searching the forums to see how other custom makers operate. Here is an excerpt:

[h=2]Re: $100 increase for their current lights?? I seriously have the worst timing ever..[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by nfetterly

• communication, communication, communication

Neale, I totally agreed. How i'd wish some other custom seller would understand that keeping your customers (especially those pre-paid clients) informed and respect their interest will go so far towards admiration, respect, trust and building brand goodwill, instead of excuses, excuses, excuses! I'm sure Jason is a one man show and having to answer tonnes of emails too!

I have nothing but total joy dealing with Jason and I trust his integrity and honest pricing of his products :thumbsup:

Heck I'm just gonna order a Blue Label light to go with the three pens that I have pledged"​

So is communication important to you or could you care less?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its important, but its doesn't have to be constant.

IE: If I get a message that there's a problem and that I'll get an update down the road when a feel for the time frame to resolve it is available, I'm typically good to go on a provider I've got a relationship with.

If I know nothing about a provider, I might either simply not use them...or, wait and see if others have, and what their experiences were, etc...and then make a judgement call.

If from personal experience, a problem I could see taking a month to resolve is mentioned, I will mentally adjust to a month or so....if the delay is setting up a new work area/shop...a week or three could be reasonable, if the delay is a 1 week vacation, then a week should be about right, and so forth.

If its a seller I don't trust, again, I don't do ANY business with them...which avoids me risking things I don't want to risk. I try not to fly higher than I can afford to fall. For example, lets say I buy a $600 light...and I GET IT, and its AMAZING, but, I drop it off a cliff and it makes a distant "Wiley Coyote" puff at the bottom of the grand canyon, etc...and its ruined....I'm STILL out EXACTLY the same amount of money as if I never received it. I would be really really PISSED either way of course...at myself if I dropped it into the grand canyon, and at the seller if I never received it.

The difference is I might have SOME recourse if I never received it, and might one day get my $ back. With my luck, I'd be fined for littering in the grand canyon though.

:D

As a business owner, I personally make sure I get back to people ESPECIALLY if there's going to be a delay or any change in what they might be expecting. But its my only responsibility...and I make it my priority.

I KNOW a ton of people who do things as side jobs...so they are working 40-80 hours a WEEK at "their day job", then coming home and trying to catch-up on their cottage industry/side jobs, etc.

Sometimes, they just can't keep up...you can't really call people back at 3 am...normally, and, you might have too many emails to get to them all, etc. Add to that that you need to DO that second job...and people get spread too thin when things surge. I have clients who mention that the send time on an email I sent them said it was 3 am or 4 am, etc...as I CAN email at that hour. I'll be mostly worthless the next day of course.

If you are getting things from people who do what you need from them as their SECOND JOB, you need to have different expectations. These are businesses that are done on a catch as catch can basis, and, knowing that, you can't expect large corporation-type response, because they typically just don't have the resources to do it. Typically, they CAN do it when things are what ever passes for normal...and if things get busy for a bit, its a surge they can ride out, etc.

But if business EXPLODES, well, they get blown up...and, need time to both react, and adjust.

Many CAN manage this, many have trouble with it.

Guys who are technically proficient are not always the best management types too, and while the product might be great, the running of the business end of things can suffer, ESPECIALLY if the production side gets overwhelmed, and they put their heads down and dig into the MAKING of the product, assuming HAVING the product is the real answer to the problem.

Manager-types see that the product delivered includes the plate its served on so to speak, and try to address the concerns of customers, even though they know it means they have to wait MORE....due to the lost time.

Its a double edged sword, and, well, some businesses, and some customers, do bleed from time to time.

Last edited:

Frank1967

Enlightened
Its important, but its doesn't have to be constant.

IE: If I get a message that there's a problem and that I'll get an update down the road when a feel for the time frame to resolve it is available, I'm typically good to go on a provider I've got a relationship with.

If I know nothing about a provider, I might either simply not use them...or, wait and see if others have, and what their experiences were, etc...and then make a judgement call.

If from personal experience, a problem I could see taking a month to resolve is mentioned, I will mentally adjust to a month or so....if the delay is setting up a new work area/shop...a week or three could be reasonable, if the delay is a 1 week vacation, then a week should be about right, and so forth.

If its a seller I don't trust, again, I don't do ANY business with them...which avoids me risking things I don't want to risk. I try not to fly higher than I can afford to fall. For example, lets say I buy a $600 light...and I GET IT, and its AMAZING, but, I drop it off a cliff and it makes a distant "Wiley Coyote" puff at the bottom of the grand canyon, etc...and its ruined....I'm STILL out EXACTLY the same amount of money as if I never received it. I would be really really PISSED either way of course...at myself if I dropped it into the grand canyon, and at the seller if I never received it.

The difference is I might have SOME recourse if I never received it, and might one day get my $ back. With my luck, I'd be fined for littering in the grand canyon though.

As a business owner, I personally make sure I get back to people ESPECIALLY if there's going to be a delay or any change in what they might be expecting. But its my only responsibility...and I make it my priority.

I KNOW a ton of people who do things as side jobs...so they are working 40-80 hours a WEEK at "their day job", then coming home and trying to catch-up on their cottage industry/side jobs, etc.

Sometimes, they just can't keep up...you can't really call people back at 3 am...normally, and, you might have too many emails to get to them all, etc. Add to that that you need to DO that second job...and people get spread too thin when things surge. I have clients who mention that the send time on an email I sent them said it was 3 am or 4 am, etc...as I CAN email at that hour. I'll be mostly worthless the next day of course.

If you are getting things from people who do what you need from them as their SECOND JOB, you need to have different expectations. These are businesses that are done on a catch as catch can basis, and, knowing that, you can't expect large corporation-type response, because they typically just don't have the resources to do it. Typically, they CAN do it when things are what ever passes for normal...and if things get busy for a bit, its a surge they can ride out, etc.

But if business EXPLODES, well, they get blown up...and, need time to both react, and adjust.

Many CAN manage this, many have trouble with it.

Guys who are technically proficient are not always the best management types too, and while the product might be great, the running of the business end of things can suffer, ESPECIALLY if the production side gets overwhelmed, and they put their heads down and dig into the MAKING of the product, assuming HAVING the product is the real answer to the problem.

Manager-types see that the product delivered includes the plate its served on so to speak, and try to address the concerns of customers, even though they know it means they have to wait MORE....due to the lost time.

Its a double edged sword, and, well, some businesses, and some customers, do bleed from time to time.

Teej you are a gentleman!

This is the last post by Michael up until his latest post a couple of days ago...please notice the date. I was going on this info. I don't feel communication was accurate or updated.

02-28-2013, 07:24 AM
saabluster
user-offline.png

Supporter-3.gif
Join DateOct 2006LocationGarland TxPosts3,428

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jd1911
Hello saabluster,
How does the new DEFT-X coming online affect the delivery times of the TN31mb.
Thanks
JD

The DEFT-X ramp up and the associated building work are not holding the TN31mb back at this very moment. Just waiting on a new shipment of lights. Should be here any day now. Once they get here I am going to get Mandy on them.​

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say a product is only as good as the communication you put into it, and vice-versa.. Even a next door neighbor can't buy from you if he does not know you are selling. On the other hand, if you have a bad product no amount of communication can sustain it in the market for so long. The two should go together.

Last edited:

Frank1967

Enlightened
I believe I worried for nothing. Unexpected things happen in life. I am a newbie here and so many negative posts on other threads had me worried. Looks like I was wrong!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How important is communication? I'd say it is vital. I've never been a super star when it comes to that but the past few weeks have been worse than usual I know. I am sorry about that. The wheels are moving again on production and communication now that so much of my time isn't spent on building infrastructure. Feel free to call me at 1-214-228-9468 whenever you'd like.

Frank1967

Enlightened
How important is communication? I'd say it is vital. I've never been a super star when it comes to that but the past few weeks have been worse than usual I know. I am sorry about that. The wheels are moving again on production and communication now that so much of my time isn't spent on building infrastructure. Feel free to call me at 1-214-228-9468 whenever you'd like.

Thank you! It is great to see that everything is back on track. I am anxiously awaiting the flashlight. Thanks again!!

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
saab (michael) is an all around great guy - he has just been overwhelmed to the nth degree lately it seems... he has provided updates in his thread for the deft x from time to time and the tn31mb thread with photos of new lights hes preparing

i think hes doing a good job :)

scout24

Flashaholic
I think I'm the second or third to post anorder number after pre- paying in the Deft-X thread. No worries on my end, Saab has been here with a wonderful track record for a good long time. Our custom builders all have different ways of dealing with work and communications. It speaks volumes that Saab posted his telephone number here for everyone. Be patient, good things come to those who wait. I've got two lights at someone else's place, prepaid for some work, since September. I'll see them sooner or later, with no worries, communication or not... :)