Modified Ikea Lamp / Light

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Here's another nifty project that I have going on. It's not exactly a flashlight in the conventional sense, but isn't a flashlight just a miniature lamp?

This fixture is also using one of our LED drivers.

Here are the fun facts:
- the lamp was originally an Ikea ANTIFONI lamp
- the board is using a SEPIC configuration
- we are driving 6 Cree XPG LEDs at up to 700mA
- we are using the warmer colored XPG LEDs
- the chunk of metal that the aluminum PCB's is mounted to was fabricated from scrap aluminum

Here are the goods:

LED array. I figured 6 LED's would be bright enough. It should be the equivalent of a 35-40 watt halogen bulb.
lamp_1.jpg

Our driver board using a SEPIC configuration. It's intended for a flashlight, but I figured I would have some fun. It will also give the lamp 15 brightness levels!
lamp_2.jpg

Full brightness (sorry for the crappy picutres.. they didn't turn out as good as I thought they would):
lamp_3.jpg

4 steps below full brightness:
lamp_4.jpg

The array all lit up:
lamp_5.jpg

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks gunga!

Hopefully I'll get some other modifications I've done to flashlights on here. We have too many projects going on at once!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice little project. I like the idea of taking some simple product and upgrading it ;).

rayman

gunga

Flashaholic
I got an led bedside lamp from ikea. It was too bright! I meant to mod it, but lack of time and a suitable circuit prompted me to return it instead.

rtginc

Newly Enlightened
rayman: thanks! hopefully i'll get some better pics of the brightness levels.

gunga: that's a shame! maybe once i finish this project up i can go into more detail on what was done. the modifications aren't that crazy, but i'm betting ikea doesn't use Cree XPG LED's lol.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
they also dont use altilons but mine has one ;-)
what is it with ikea and their limited time models with no real name?
i have one i modded and everyone i know wants one.cant find them anywhere.
i will post a pic later.
rayman: thanks! hopefully i'll get some better pics of the brightness levels.

gunga: that's a shame! maybe once i finish this project up i can go into more detail on what was done. the modifications aren't that crazy, but i'm betting ikea doesn't use Cree XPG LED's lol.