Any other light out there with instant access to low and high?

Streak

Enlightened
Other than Zebra that is.
I know there are a couple with the the magnetic rotary setting but I am wondering if any other manufacturer has something with an electronic switch similar to the Zebra that allows instant access to high and to low from the off position.

I very often get up before sunrise and It's a feature that I have grown very used to on my SC51.
It's time to get another EDC light and before I go the SC52 route was wondering what else there is out there with this feature.

Thanks.

Lumenz

Enlightened
The HDS Clicky can be programmed to come on at the lowest setting and high with a click and hold.

JCD

Enlightened
Lights with Surefire's two stage tailcap can have their high and low modes each accessed easily from off.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you account Malkoff MD2 with two-level ring as EDC ??? That is by far the best UI, imo... No electronic/magnetic stuff, pure mechanical and reliable solution... lower low on Li-Ion, higher on 2xCR123...

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a long list... Fenix and Foursevens have the head twist, loose for low, tight for high. Must be many others too. Maybe the ones with memory will work? I.e. they remember the last brightness level used.

I like the SC52 because I have quick access to high, low, and even medium. But also each level can be customized. And I like how easy it is to switch to a second level in each mode. I suggest you get a 14500 battery and charger to double your high mode.

biglights

Enlightened
I really like my SC52. Cant go wrong with a ZL. Also as mentioned above the 47s are a good choice to. I think just the tatical version has the mode set option.

Streak

Enlightened
I find the 2xCR123/18650 too big as a proper in the pocket EDC. I have some of these but in the car or on the night stand. Single AA for me is the ideal.
Also I dont like head twisting to change modes as you need two hands to do it.

It sounds like it SC52 or nothing!!

Zebra must have a tight patent on this UI seeing that nobody is trying to copy them.

Thanks for the replies.

Devildude

Enlightened
The Nitecore EA8 could work. Last mode memory, which if you left it on low would be a half press of the switch and turbo with a full press.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you account Malkoff MD2 with two-level ring as EDC ??? That is by far the best UI, imo... No electronic/magnetic stuff, pure mechanical and reliable solution... lower low on Li-Ion, higher on 2xCR123...

^^^This is the obvious correct answer.
Nothing else even can compete.
It allows you to pre-select the brightness BEFORE turning on the light. Completely reiliable, every time, momentary or latched at your discretion(in any mode), able to be mode-checked at any time prior to turning it on(without any light coming out of it), also can just as easily switch modes after it's on too.

Not even a close contest.

Last edited:

Streak

Enlightened
^^^This is the obvious correct answer.
Nothing else even can compete.
It allows you to pre-select the brightness BEFORE turning on the light. Completely reiliable, every time, momentary or latched at your discretion(in any mode), able to be mode-checked at any time prior to turning it on(without any light coming out of it), also can just as easily switch modes after it's on too.

Not even a close contest.

Pity that it's 2xCR123/18650 form factor.

Kamerat

Enlightened
Check out Jetbeam PA10. You can twist the bezel while off or on to change between low and high. It's aa or 14500.

cyberhawk

Newly Enlightened
Olight S10 and S20. 1 long click straight to low (from off), 2 fast clicks straight to high (from off). Both are my new favorite EDCs. Cheaper than ZLs, but I love them also! Hawk

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have the instant access to both at any time ui's like zebralight & hds. Tier one of instant.

Then you have instant access to EITHER of your choosing, but not both at any one point in time, with tighten/loosen head for level + click for on/off. Jetbeam, fenix, klarus etc.

& as said sf technically isn't but their tactical press/twist switch essentially goes instantly through low if you press hard & tailcap is positioned appropriately. Same to various degrees for rotating rings that also power on/off. Of course the ultimate instant access to ALL modes at any given time setup, single mode lights.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pity that it's 2xCR123/18650 form factor.
Not necessarily only that form factor, although it won't be a single AA form factor.
It could be a single CR123 form factor with Martin D. White's "MD1" body conversion, using a M31 drop-in. That would be the shortest available with this UI.
The diameter would still be the same, however. It's not the skinniest light out there.
It could use 2AA in an MD3 body, with the M31 module, but it still wouldn't be any skinnier. Just longer.

However, many/most people would consider that 18650 format to be a plus, and not a minus. It's by far the best format for energy delivery. Nothing matches 18650 for the energy/size ratio.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the OP is looking for a single AA light because of size, so maybe a 14500 light would be ok. And wants single handed ability to choose low or high from off. Thus the head tightening is out. I think that narrows things down a lot.

Samy

Enlightened
The V10A can turn on at any level, you can adjust the magnetic ring and then turn it on all with one hand. I have a few Zebras and really like them, but the V10A is fool proof. Takes a AA but also gets 500 lumens with a 14500 and still retains the super lows.

cheers

N_N_R

Enlightened
Okay, not sure if I'll suggest exaaaaaaaactly what you want, but may be almost any light with memory would do? For example, the fenix E25 has three modes. If you turn it off on high, then when you turn it on, it's immediately on high (thus you can always have it on high). One pressing of the button gets you to low.

Unfortunately, then you'll have to circle through medium to go back to high.

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The Olight S20 can with one long click from off access the moonlightmode or by a double click directly access the highest mode. I can highly recomend it. The S20 is my favorite EDC light.
Olight S10 and S20. 1 long click straight to low (from off), 2 fast clicks straight to high (from off). Both are my new favorite EDCs. Cheaper than ZLs, but I love them also! Hawk
I might be wrong, but can one access the highest mode with the S10 directly from off? I thought one could only activate either the moonlightmode or the strobe directly from off.