Help me choose: Zebralight SC600 vs Quark Turbo XM-L

Zeyeman

Newly Enlightened
Help me pick my next light... I have a selection of Quark tubes, heads, and li-ion cells, but no 18650s. I like the flood of the SC600, and generally prefer that, but I believe the Quark has a "wall of light." If I had no Quarks, the SC600 would be a no brainer.

I worry that the XML Turbo head would over draw a 16340 or 14500 (as rediculous as those form factors are), not sure if that's true out what other concerns there are.

I have a few 17670 cells, but I'm not sure if that will work with the SC600.

I think the Sc600 is smaller in volume than the Quark Turbo XML, which is a plus for me.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd stick with the Quark.
They are just as good and maybe even better, and you are already invested in the brand.
Also, Quark has the 10 year warranty.
Not much of a contest, actually.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, like always, it will depend on your priorities. The Zebralight will have a better feature set, "nicer" build quality, and will appear ~ 25% brighter. The Quark will have the Lego options, wider voltage battery choices, (IMHO) durability, and of course warranty and US-based customer service behind it.

I'm always comparing the best of these two brands in the efficient/1xAA/sub-lumen niche and I choose the Quark AAX over the SC52. For me, I have trouble trusting a light when the manufacturer doesn't seem to, and ZL consistently disappoints me with its marketing claims (I test with a light meter and stopwatch). I find the lights equally efficient despite the 2-3x differences you'll find in a comparison of the specs.

BTW, if you like a floodier beam, I'd definitely go with the QP(or T)2L-X over the Turbo-X - the latter is a dedicated thrower. Also, all Quarks are strictly current regulated - I run 2x14500s in my HV head... it runs the same vs 1x17670, 2xCR123/CRAA, and it'll even limp along using 2xNiMh.

JJohn

Enlightened
On the other hand, for me, and I use many different UI's (clicky, twisty, side button) use of the ZL side switch is a joy. It feels the most natural for me. And yes, I do not use lights for tactical purposes where an overhand grip might be preferred.

I don't worry about the numbers in vendors marketing hype, I just know what works for me. A lot depends on your application for lights.

By the way, both choices here are great. Regardless what you pick you won't be sorry.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you want a flood, the Turbo is the opposite, its more tightly focused.

IE: If you want flood, the SC600 is the one you want.

If you want more range than ~ 50-60 yards useful range, then you DON'T want the ZL.

So, is more than or less than ~ 50 yard range needed?

:D

holylight

Enlightened
Help me pick my next light... I have a selection of Quark tubes, heads, and li-ion cells, but no 18650s. I like the flood of the SC600, and generally prefer that, but I believe the Quark has a "wall of light." If I had no Quarks, the SC600 would be a no brainer.

I worry that the XML Turbo head would over draw a 16340 or 14500 (as rediculous as those form factors are), not sure if that's true out what other concerns there are.

I have a few 17670 cells, but I'm not sure if that will work with the SC600.

I think the Sc600 is smaller in volume than the Quark Turbo XML, which is a plus for me.

Don't buy wrong. Latest is sc600 mk2.

AussieRanga

Enlightened
The feel and function of the two is very different so that may be a strong deciding factor.

They can both be carried in a pocket, no doubt, it just depends on what else you have in that pocket, how big it is, how tight it is, etc.
I carried the sc600 daily for a few months and hardly ever noticed it in my cargo pocket around mid thigh level - there is no way I could do that with the turbo x and I wouldn't want to. Simply put, that light is too big for EDC, for me.

Then there is the beam profile: the Quark has a much narrower hot spot and spill whereas the Zebra has a very wide hot spot that transitions into spill that not only illuminates closer objects (the light starts closer to your feet than with the Quark) but it also does it MUCH better. The result of this is you don't have to move the light around as much to see things well.

People will often argue that the light wont shine as far so you wont be able to see what is lying at the edge of darkness to take you away to a place where flashlights don't work but I call B.S! I can EASILY see 100m with my sc600 on MAX - by easily, I mean that in a large area I can tell definitively if there is a person there or not. Where I live, the stuff you need to worry about is generally the biting type (snake, spider, drop bear, etc..) so that is the main reason I prefer the ZL - there is very little gain in terms of perceptibility between the two at 50m, you sure wont see that bear or coyote you just missed with the sc600 if you suddenly whip out the Quark, let's put it that way. I doubt you would see a snake at that range anyway, so let's not start down that road ;)

I guess if you really were only intending this purchase as a longer range light with little use as a close range/multi purpose light then the Quark would be my pick but if it's mainly for EDC, walking the dog, doing stuff at work/home then the Zebralight is a no contest winner.

I wont go into the user interface as that is purely a personal preference, and I am already writing a big-ish piece here, but I mostly prefer the ZL UI these days. I did like the quark/fenix/tons of others type interfaces and still do on some occasions. Not having to program it every time I want another level and having quick access to any level is the main draw card.

As for the battery choice, I would strongly recommend you do NOT use anything less than a 17670 or an IMR if you want single cell functionality.
I tried a fully charged AW 14500 and could not get the output I do with 17670 so immediately turned it off as I felt that wasn't a good sign..your call though..

All in all, unless you have to have the interchangeability of bodies etc, UI, or a longer range specific light, then I definitly think you should look into the sc600 some more.

Too bad you wont get one for a while as they are about to release the MK2 with 900 lumens and if it is anything like the sc52, a few months is the expected time unless you find another vendor but even then, everyone else will be frothing and hunting for that vendor too!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
a QP2L-X running on a sanyo 16650 is a excellent choice. very slim, lightweight, and almost 3x the runtime of 14500.

all without the weight of an 18650 flashlight, and in the case of sc600 the bulging head

TEEJ

Flashaholic
a QP2L-X running on a sanyo 16650 is a excellent choice. very slim, lightweight, and almost 3x the runtime of 14500.

all without the weight of an 18650 flashlight, and in the case of sc600 the bulging head

Right, you can get a smaller lighter 350 L flashlight, instead of a 900 L slightly larger and heavier light with more runtime....if that's what will work. (The SC600 MK II's are shipping the first week in April, or, at least mine is.)

We STILL don't know the range needed though...so, all of this is still conjecture.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, you can get a smaller lighter 350 L flashlight, instead of a 900 L slightly larger and heavier light with more runtime....if that's what will work. (The SC600 MK II's are shipping the first week in April, or, at least mine is.)

We STILL don't know the range needed though...so, all of this is still conjecture.

yeah i'm confused too. he says he likes the flood of sc600 but also wants a the quark turbo xml, which is throwy

so i say go floodier :D

QP2L-X is actually 540-something "selfbuilt lumens" before stepdown. not bad, not bad at all, and he gets to use his other lego blocks

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Features aside, is either more or less likely to see preflash or pwm with, & thread smoothness, general build quality etc. or both about the same?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I don't worry about the numbers in vendors marketing hype, I just know what works for me...

I agree with you, and I thought I knew what to expect the second time around. However, I was taught a new lesson when my favorite low lumen levels, which I use well over 50% of the time, proved to only be 1/3 of its listed spec, and I measure with a light meter... but perhaps my example is defective?

Zeyeman

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to all that replied, you've all been truly helpful. :thumbsup:

I was always leaning towards the SC600 mk II, in neutral tint, when that comes available (left that out, sorry). I was only considering the Quark Turbo XM-L as I read somewhere (maybe here) that it had a "wall of light," in spite of it being a Turbo, i.e., "don't lump it together with all the other Quark Turbo predecessors, it has plenty of spill."

I have two Quark Pros, both with neutral XM-Ls, one HV, the other LV (don't ask). Love the big hotspot and bright spill. Oddly, my XP-G Preons have about the same hotspot and bright spill! I was hoping the QT XM-L would have a similar spill because of the XM-L emitter and in spite of the deep smooth reflector... I stand corrected. They are quite easy to carry (OK, the AA^2 is too big for me), and if I had to do it all over, I'd make sure one of those had a tactical UI. :eek:

TEEJ asked if 50 yds. is more or not enough (range). Well, I want all ranges, and am going to spend my last penny finding that one flashlight that does it all :D. Seriously, I find the 330 lumes of the Quark Pros adequate in an urban environment with plenty of background light good enough to spot a person at just barely 50 yds.; I know the QT XM-L would do that better, but geesh--I probably really don't need to do that more often than I do. So 50 yds is plenty.

I know there have been issues with Zebralights; my old H30 would flicker when turned on for an instant. Otherwise, it's given me years of service. My H51W and H502C have been flawless, but they were purchased within the last 6 months well into the production runs. I find the preflash of Quarks much more annoying than anything else, and aside from the tint lottery, the preflash lottery is more disturbing. One QP XM-L has no pre-flash, but the other has a tiny preflash (from off to moonlight, a preflash equivalent of Low appears). It's not that big of a big deal, but I have a Quark AA Tactical with an XP-G programmed to Medium and Turbo (loose/tight), and that bad boy will sometimes preflash on Turbo when turned on for Medium (loose). :confused: Of course, turning it off on Medium eliminates the preflash, but having that same preflash with a QT XM-L might blind someone :ironic:

So it's decided: SC600W, MK II, in Neutral (when available). Or maybe an SC52W (when available). Or maybe an SC80W now, and an SC600W MK II later? :devil: