cannot decide between EA4 and EA8

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Hello flashlight likers!,

After reading many many posts of the EA4 I almost ordered it untill.... the EA8 came out!! :eek:
Both flashlights have their own advantages where in output there is only a small difference (throw however is MUCH better with the EA8).
I will be using this light on travel and around the house and for having an emergency light in the "once in a year" event of power failure.:poke:
I have a pile of duracell AA's (for emergency cases only on high!, I know!! :D) and will order a maha charger within short time to have a really nice and reliable charger).

The like of the EA8 is the possibility of having real THROW, a long time on turbo, a bit more protected power switch (because of the bigger head), a real low and a very long runtime at the lower settings. Also this light can be ordered in Neutral white.
The dislike is that it's more than 6 cm longer and a bit bigger at the head and the need of 8 AA's.

The like of the EA4 is that it's a little pocket rocket with HUGE output, handy for the wow factor :D (my baton S20 on a 18650 has "only" 470 lumen) and it needs only 4 AA's that can be found all over the house when in trouble. (The EA8 however can operate also with only 4 cells so in fact this is a non-argument)
The dislike of the EA4 is the (I think) very sensitive side switch and the poor lockout-mode that can surprise you with a drained flashlight when you really need it. It also cannot be ordered in neutral and there are som complaints about rattling wich I really dislike in a light!.

My questions:
a) how frequently are you guys surprised by an accidential switch-on of your EA4?
b) how "cool" is the cool-white version of the EA4 compared to the neutral of the EA8?
c) are there some more pictures and movies of the EA8 beams to make a better comparison between both of the lights?

For panic situations I have a small stock of CR123's and a Olight baton S10 and S20 that both give very long runtimes at 0,5 and 5 lumens. For seeing whats going around the house I can rely on my Olight SR-90 and my Sunwayman T60CS but the possibility to have lots of light with some simple AA's, I really like!!

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would you actually be using the light for while traveling or around the house? Without further details, based on your description I'd be more inclined to suggest a 2AA light from Fenix, FourSevens or similar.

The EA4 seems potentially not suitable due to no real low. The EA8 is potentially not suitable because the beam is too tight and it's a large light.

PS: get ready for the replies telling you the CPF thing to do is to buy both. :poke:

herosemblem

Enlightened
I own both neutral versions of the 4 and 8.
If I could have just one, it would be the 4. The 8 is annoying for me to charge because I have only one charger, and it is huge and weighs a lot.
I will sorely miss the proper low mode that the 8 offers.
I have had no issues with accidental activation with either.
Only time I would prefer the 8 is if I lived on a farm, or did search and rescue type activities all the time.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My questions:
a) how frequently are you guys surprised by an accidential switch-on of your EA4?
b) how "cool" is the cool-white version of the EA4 compared to the neutral of the EA8?
c) are there some more pictures and movies of the EA8 beams to make a better comparison between both of the lights?

You're entire question is one of the most well thought out that I've seen and you've covered almost everything.

It doesn't accidentally switch on often, but it has happened a couple of times when I'm carrying several things at once.
Neither the EA4 or EA8 CW seem "cool" to me in a shadowed room but next NW light, you can certainly tell.
I've got a video here with some white wall video near the end, which will help with beam shape and intensity. I'll get the outdoor comparisons when the EA4 video goes up.

Overall, I lean toward the EA8 even despite the seemingly annoying battery count. It's not as voltage sensitive as the EA4 so I'm always getting maximum output no matter the cell type or some voltage sag. L1 is one of my most used levels around the house, also when I'm out doing beamshots and I need a little bit of light, I always reach for a spotlight in front of me and it's the only one with low output. The EA8 runs on turbo continuously which I fun kind of cool as well.

Had Nitecore updated the EA4 with the same low output mode this would be a much more difficult choice for me.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Patriot alluded to, the EA4 comes in NW as well. I've had my EA4W almost since they came out, and I love it. I mainly use it as a bedside light, but it does have enough throw to be useful outside in a suburban environment. I agree, if I lived on a farm or did SAR, etc., I would have an EA8 AS WELL. The EA4 is just too handy in it's size and output. If I want low, I've got a LF Seraph 6 by my bed as well, and a nice 4C LED lantern for an area light when the power goes off. (I live in a very small rural community and it does happen now and then.) I also have a TM11 that has pretty much turned into a shelf queen since I got the EA4. If the EA4 had come out first, I don't think I would have gotten the TM11 at all. So as for you, I guess it really boils down to how badly you want the low low, the runtime, and the throw. As far as the accidental activation, I think it's a wash - they both seem to use the same UI, and if you have the EA8 in a holster the size of the head isn't going to have any impact on whether or not the button gets pressed.

Of course, this is CPF, so as one of the other responders said, the party line is "Get Both!"

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stereodude,
I have a pile of el cheapo lights lying around the house including a nice 2 x AALED maglite so a small light fot finding the fusebox won't be a problem.
My "problem" is that I like powerful lights too much to be happy with this long sticks with 2 AA batteries in it, having no power at all :D.
For example: I tuned my V70 because I like driving very relaxed with it at low rpm's, knowing that when I need it a lot of power is available, just for fun or maybe when I have to accelerate to keep me and my family safe in it.
The same I have with flashlights: using it around the house with not to many lumens but having PLENTY of power in case I want to blind a burgler, find someone or something in the creek or just to show off :whistle:.

What would you actually be using the light for while traveling or around the house? Without further details, based on your description I'd be more inclined to suggest a 2AA light from Fenix, FourSevens or similar.

The EA4 seems potentially not suitable due to no real low. The EA8 is potentially not suitable because the beam is too tight and it's a large light.

PS: get ready for the replies telling you the CPF thing to do is to buy both. :poke:

Rexlion

Enlightened
Split the difference and buy a 6-AA light! :devil: Eagletac SX25A6 neutral has a good low, good throw with decent spill. The switch has enough travel in it that I can't imagine it activating by accident.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your compliment Patriot!
I have been looking for a nice 3, 4, 6 or 8 x AA light for some months now so counting pro's and cons grow on me a bit :D .
Without all the comments and topics on this forum, I still would be a noob on LED lights.
I looked at your (very nice) youtube video and this one made me hungry for outdoor pictures and video's of the EA8.
Would this EA8 not be introduced a month ago, I definately would have chosen the EA4.
It's a pity by the way that Zebralight hasn't come out with their Q50 or 5310 yet, I realy like the UI and the many output levels of their lights, making me buy a SC52 this year too (when available in NW).
Looking at my two batons (10 and 20) I can take this ones on travel with me having the 0,5 lumen option in real case of emergency for a long lightsource, extended with a spare CR123 (S10) or 2 x CR123 (S20).
Used to walk around with my SR90 (everybody staring at me where this light comes from :huh:) and now my T60CS (much more compact and having a lot of throw AND flood) I guess that the EA8 in combination with a MAHA 801D and 2 x 8 eneloops always rocks, delivers enough throw and power AND has a long tme running at 9? lumens would be the most sensible decision but there it comes again!!: what about this little pocket rocket that you can sleek in the pocket of my jacket? :)
Seems that the only solution is the twice received advice: buy both of them? :devil:

You're entire question is one of the most well thought out that I've seen and you've covered almost everything.

It doesn't accidentally switch on often, but it has happened a couple of times when I'm carrying several things at once.
Neither the EA4 or EA8 CW seem "cool" to me in a shadowed room but next NW light, you can certainly tell.
I've got a video here with some white wall video near the end, which will help with beam shape and intensity. I'll get the outdoor comparisons when the EA4 video goes up.

Overall, I lean toward the EA8 even despite the seemingly annoying battery count. It's not as voltage sensitive as the EA4 so I'm always getting maximum output no matter the cell type or some voltage sag. L1 is one of my most used levels around the house, also when I'm out doing beamshots and I need a little bit of light, I always reach for a spotlight in front of me and it's the only one with low output. The EA8 runs on turbo continuously which I fun kind of cool as well.

Had Nitecore updated the EA4 with the same low output mode this would be a much more difficult choice for me.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rexlion!,
I noticed this light too but the not so very practical spacings of output made decide me not to pick up this light, although this light has the biggest output of all the 6-8 AA lights in the market. The grip with holes for fingers in it attract me neither, this looks fine on a Xeno V3 but not n a long metal tube (strictly personal feeling so no comment how others make their flashlights). The absence of a nice power indicator is also an item that I miss on this light. The build quality and finish however (especially the kit version with stainless bezel) looks realy nice!!

Split the difference and buy a 6-AA light! :devil: Eagletac SX25A6 neutral has a good low, good throw with decent spill. The switch has enough travel in it that I can't imagine it activating by accident.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Lightlicker, now that you have mentioned that you are of the school where you'd rather "have and not need" instead of "needing and not having" (e.g. certain Jeep owners and SUV owners), it seems you have answered your own question. The ea8 is the one for you because you like having low lumens, but you also strongly value having a big, powerful light that you can kick into turbo if the situation requires it. The ea8 satisfies those criteria, so order it and enjoy it :thumbup:.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
If only had an endless budget, I surely would but hey, nothing beats some waitning and ordering the other one too :devil:
Of course, this is CPF, so as one of the other responders said, the party line is "Get Both!"

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
That's short through the curves! :D but I think You're right about that.
Still need to buy a MAHA 801D 8x AA charger and maybe a C900 too for controlling the different cells before dropping them into my light. Happely the NiMh cells aren't as critical as the 18650's so with a set of new and measured eneloops I should be fine for the moment :D.
I'll sleep some nights over it and think I'll pull the trigger on the EA8 unless..... :shrug:
Lightlicker, now that you have mentioned that you are of the school where you'd rather "have and not need" instead of "needing and not having" (e.g. certain Jeep owners and SUV owners), it seems you have answered your own question. The ea8 is the one for you because you like having low lumens, but you also strongly value having a big, powerful light that you can kick into turbo if the situation requires it. The ea8 satisfies those criteria, so order it and enjoy it :thumbup:.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still need to buy a MAHA 801D 8x AA charger and maybe a C900 too for controlling the different cells before dropping them into my light. Happely the NiMh cells aren't as critical as the 18650's so with a set of new and measured eneloops I should be fine for the moment :D.

I've been using the same set of Eneloops in the TK40 for years now. I have run the batteries through the C9000 5 times, the last time was probably a month ago. Normally I charge on the 808M. All of them are still well within range of capacity and the IR test are all pretty much 0.02V within each other. Given that the IR test seems to vary high or low each time I've done the run, I'd say the cells are all pretty balanced. Pretty much a testament of the Eneloop.

As much as I would have liked the EA4, I would get the EA8 for the lower low and the ability to run turbo without a step down. I have a pack of glitterloops just waiting. Still have a pack of XX waiting for the EA4 should they release a version 2 with a lower low.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the same set of Eneloops in the TK40 for years now. I have run the batteries through the C9000 5 times, the last time was probably a month ago. Normally I charge on the 808M. All of them are still well within range of capacity and the IR test are all pretty much 0.02V within each other. Given that the IR test seems to vary high or low each time I've done the run, I'd say the cells are all pretty balanced. Pretty much a testament of the Eneloop.

As much as I would have liked the EA4, I would get the EA8 for the lower low and the ability to run turbo without a step down. I have a pack of glitterloops just waiting. Still have a pack of XX waiting for the EA4 should they release a version 2 with a lower low.
I finally decided to order the EA4 at fasttech. Main reason for buying this one (first?) is it's compact format and the fact that The neutral white is hard to get here in the Netherlands. The fact that in a power outage my family members can easily and safe change the batteries, I can deal with 22 hours on low on just one set of battteries. How lng ago did we accept that 30 lumens of a maglite 3C flashlight was a great achievement?
the floody concept of the EA4 is also more useful to light up the house if needed and for really low, I take my S10 or S20 baton from Olight with one or two of the spare CR123's I keep, they can deliver a bit of light for days.
If i need a thrower, i use my SR90 wich is quite safe with its balanced battery pack.
Maybe I will buy some eneloops and a C9000 maha too in order to charge 4 batteries in less than 2 hours, running on some spare 60Ah 12V Batteries I keep as an emergency charger backup.
I even own a converter from 12 to 230V to keep the heating running for a short time.
now we only need a power outage to use all this nice stuff :D
my next goal is to charge this batteries from one of the 12 separately wired solar panels on my roof with a solar charger, power enough! :cool:

Last edited:

kevleee1

Newly Enlightened
Lightliker,

Congratulations on your decision purchasing the EA4. I had owned the EA4 briefly only to return it because of a defective switch. I really liked the small form factor. I ordered an EA8 instead and have no regrets. I found that the EA8 did not heat up as much as the EA4 when running on turbo mode. If they came out with an EA4 with a lower low mode I may pick one up. You cannot go wrong with either. Light up your new torch in good health!