Surefire KL4 Flashlight

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
I have just received my new sf kl4 today! I turned it on
and used it for about 5 minutes and it got very hot around
the bezel is this normal. I also own a sf tl-3 and it gets
warm but not hot. I use flashlights a lot with mostly long
on times up to several hours on at a time when working at night. Is there a problem with the l4 doing this. Will the
led and curcuitry handle this. I can tell you that the TL-3
can handle it because I have done it several times and no problems with it to date! will the kl-4 take it. Batterys
are not a problem as I carry 12 in my service truck at all times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Normal. Lots of threads on the subject of L4's and heat. Give the search function a whirl and you'll probably turn up a night's worth of reading. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clifton,
Yea, the L4's get pretty hot. The only way to prevent this is to either underdrive it some more or convert it to a 1W or 3W setup.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
If you want to run it for hours at a time you might consider putting it on a one cell body like the E1e [aka TW4]. It will not be as bright, but it will run much cooler.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the KL4 still regulated when running with an E1e or does it dim like an unregulated light?

DumboRAT

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif back at ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was the final straw that broke me, and I got a TW4 from Dan right after reading that, after weeks of debate with myself.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hear you allen; i have an E1e on the way. after reading that i'll most likely get a KL4 for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif any idea how much a KL4 on its own costs? i think the KL4 would be very similar to the arc AAA in terms of its runtime characteristics (gradual dimming, but LONG runtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif )