Noobie with a couple of questions

F22

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, this is the same F-22 from bladeforums.com, the guy who just bought an E2e-HA as his first "serious" flashlight. I have a couple of questions that I hope can be answered...

First, how many hours should I expect to get out of the bulb that came installed in my E2e-HA?
Second, could someone remind me what exactly the differences between incandescent and nonincandescent lights. From my understanding, incandescent is a light with a bulb, correct? Sort of a subquestion, what exactly makes a bulb a halogen light? Am I also right that non-incandescent is an LED light?

Thanks a lot for any and all replies!

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Incandscent: Based on a bulb with a fliament.
Non-Incandescent: Based on LED, fluorescence, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) etc.

A halogen bulb is one filled with any of the halogens.
[ QUOTE ]
The halogens are five non-metallic elements found in group 7 of the periodic table. The term "halogen" means "salt-former" and compounds containing halogens are called "salts". All halogens have 7 electrons in their outer shells, giving them an oxidation number of -1. The halogens exist, at room temperature, in all three states of matter:

* Solid- Iodine, Astatine
* Liquid- Bromine
* Gas- Fluorine, Chlorine

[/ QUOTE ]
LED lights are a subcategory of non-incandescent lights. They offer higher runtime/lower power consumption, better color control, and longer life. They also offer less brightness, harsher color, and are more expensive and harder to work with.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halogen, Xenon, and Krypton are all types of incandescent bulbs that have different gasses in them. LEDs differ from incandescents in that they do not use a heated filament to produce light, and they last much longer.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good explaination Mark. F22, on your other question, your E2e's lamp should last a minimum of 20 sets of batteries. One thing to prolong the life is to not run the light until the last juice is sucked out of the batteries. Change batteries at the first time you notice a sudden steep drop in light.

Lithiums give a pretty steady even power output until the end which comes quick, very different than Alkaline batteries.

Halogen lamps are made to run hot. Draining batteries until the light goes to dim, shortens lamp life. This is because temps are not hot enough to recondense boiled off tungsten from the filament back onto itself and instead of makes a shiny mirror coating on the inside of the lamp. The thinning the filament then blows, usually first turned on. That's why most lamps blow when you flip the power on.

GregR

springnr

Enlightened
Incandescent: Emitting light as a result of being heated.

The PN junction on a 5 watt LS gets a mite warm if you send enough electrons streaming through but in flashlight terminolgy incandescent refers to filament bulbs.

F22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the help guys!

So should I still change the batteries more often, even if they are lithium ones? Isn't that sort of a waste?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
F22

At this point I think it would be a waste. Second thing is that like a car you have to drive it to get to know it. If your on your first or second set of batteries I'd run them down. That way you get to know what the sharp light drop looks like when they are about to go dead. Third you get a feel after a couple of sets go dead of how much time it takes YOU to run them down.

GregR

F22

Newly Enlightened
Ah, good point. Later down the road should I be changing the batteries earlier? I read in this thread that lithium batteries maintain their power output pretty well, wouldnt this mean that I should be able to drain my batteries down all the way all the time, every time?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
one solution to changing batteries often, is purchasing a LED light that takes the same cell battery. (Example: Arc LS)

then you can take the batteries from the E2 and throw them in that light, and get the rest of the juice outta them.

then it wouldn't be such a waste.

altho i myself, choose to run the batteries 'til the light is no longer useable for the task the light's fulfilling.

F22

Newly Enlightened
Good solution, but unlike knives, I keep telling myself that I just got a really good flashlight, and I dont need anymore! I am trying to fight off the flashlight virus infection.