Arc AA Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warbird

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Arc AA today and it seems to have two rings when I shine it against a wall. There seems to be two colors on the reflector,shiny silver then duller silver. Is this normal,to have two rings when it shines on the wall? My AAA is not like this at all.
Does anyone know where there are beamshots of the AAA?
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

k4jdn

Newly Enlightened
The narrower diameter of the AAA's reflector, if you call the polished area on an Arc AAA or AA a reflector, likely projects a tighter beam pattern. I have found that in a lot of 10 Arc AAAs, no 2 have a like beam pattern.

If you are looking for a more consistent beam pattern, move on over to a luxeon model (LSH, LSL).

Also, check out Peters "What to expect when buying...." post. The LEDS vary from unit to unit.

snuffy

Enlightened
Both of my AA's have two rings. I had some free time this evening and decided to see what would happen if I polished the reflector with Simichrome. Spent about 5 minutes per light and the side spill increased markedly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
The two rings are still there but unless you shine it on a wall they don't seem objectionable to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
snuffy,
what is simichrome? Car wax? or more like brasso? I'm tempted to try something like that but don't want to screw up my led. Thanks man! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
dtsoll,
It's a pink colored metal polish that comes in a tube like toothpaste. I've seen it in gun shops. The full name is: *Happich Simichrome Polish*, it's imported from Germany. Doesn't harm the LED at all and it only takes 5 minutes with a Q-tip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
Just to take this one step further, I've been polishing the LEDs with Maguires Clear Plastic Polish using a Q-Tip. It is really amazing how much clearer the led becomes after a polishing. Even new lights show a big difference. It would be interesting to know if the output is improved. I can definitely see a difference in the clarity of the led.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.