A2 Vs L4

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the option on the A2 with led's but don't like the fact it's still uses a lamp for high. The L4 puts out a good color (if you get a good one) with nice flood and no lamp to burn out or pop if dropped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl: that's what i felt too...i asked Chop whether it would be possible to simply put in a modded MA02 with a LS led since the A2 is already regulated, but i was told that this would not be possible due to the nature of the A2's regulation.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have known the "buy both" was coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I don't need both. If you could only have one, which would you get?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
ykl
Only one, the A2 by a country mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
I have two of each just in case you wonder if I know what I'm talking about.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would agree with hoghead and suggest the A2, because it covers more areas than the L4. the L4 is a powerful regulated LED flood light, but the A2 is both a low-power LED flood light, and a regulated incandescent in one light. the A2 also uses nichia 5mm LEDs, which apparently have a longer half-life than the 5w luxeon LED that the L4 uses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
TKL,

The A2's regulation circuit on the incan insures a constant color temp over most of the useable life of the batteries. It also "goes easy" on the lamp with a soft start. The incan can burn out and eventually will but I think you can expect a better service life on this lamp than in any other incan system; at least in theory.

You mention good color and I agree that I like the color of the good LED's to be sure. I must admit though that we do sacrifice full spectrum of light when we go to LED light sources. Just last night I was comparing the spot beam of a Luxeon III in a pelican M6 with its incan counterpart. My target was a tree which has both green and rust colored leaves along with a light brown bark. Although the incan has a noticible yellow tint, I could easily see green, rust and brown colors. The LED provided all the light required for distinguishing the shapes and details but it did not return the colors. It was more monochromatic than I would like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif In the example of the PM6, as the batteries would deplete, the yellow tint of the incan would become more pronounced to be sure. The A2 doesn't have this weakness.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, it`s tough to buy an incan with LS`s being the new in thing rage. In the future all flashlights will probably be LED (powered by new Nichia liquid cooled XR-1 Fireballs). But, nice incans might become collectable in the future and Surefire being perhaps the finest manufacture out there and the A2 having a unique feature, not found on any other (incan regulation) it might have more value down the road to a collector...or even a few years from now on E-BAY. An old wind up record player in good shape sells for a lot more than a CD player from Wallmart.

The L4 will likely be old hat soon...just another nice LED...improved ones coming down the pike every month it seems like.

Does this help? If it does please let me know...I`ll be real surprised /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ken

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
If I could only buy one I think I'd buy the A2. You get longevity with the LEDs and throw with the incandescent. I for one have no qualms about buying an incandescent light. Just buy an extra bulb for just in case...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcgizmo, very interesting. I wonder why led's don't show the colors you spoke of.

Thanks all, I'm going to get the A2. Now I don't feel so bad about foolishly selling my L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
that explains why my incadescents look very red-ish after using an LED light for a while, especially those with a slight green or yellow tint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl: make sure you get one with the newer tailcap; the old ones are trouble. i'm pretty sure you'll like your A2 once you get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:

tkl: make sure you get one with the newer tailcap; the old ones are trouble. i'm pretty sure you'll like your A2 once you get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That's why I always buy from Dan at TW, he gets fresh stock direct from SF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colors returned from an illuminated subject are strongly influenced by the spectrum of light emitted by the light source. The white LED spectrum (including white Luxeon Stars) tends to spike closer to the blue side, so blues are returned more intensely, reds less intensely.

Note the big spikes in the blue area (the left).

spec6.gif

spec8.gif

Credit for these graphs goes to Craig at www.ledmuseum.org.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Send me an A2 and an L4 and I'll do runtime plots on them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I'll even send them back to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For reference, here is a tungsten filament at ~2850 deg. K. Note the output is strongly on the red side, not the blue side (blue is left).

tungsten.gif

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
I should have known the "buy both" was coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I don't need both. If you could only have one, which would you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one ? The A2 with no doubt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raindrop

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
I had both and now have only one. The L4. Much more useful as I don't need a tactical (type) light for 99% of my needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sean,

I am curious why you characterize the A2 as a "tactical" light? I have a number of high end LED lights both factory and CPF "mod" specials and I don't view my A2 as tactical as some of the other lights I own.

Like many CPF members I was resistant to purchasing an A2 until Don asked the insidious question if I owned "one". Now I have more than a couple and find that the hi/lo capabilities make this a great daytime carry EDC. The A2 is a nice light, and the best part is it saves wear and tear on some of my other more "irreplaceable" CPF specials like the McLux. Currently my favorite A2 is one with a set of Nichia 312s that Don changed out for me that provide a better flood effect low beam light output with a great beam pattern on the incandescent side.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't worry sean, i'll take good care of your A2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif