Headlamp for backpacking

malb

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. Looking for a headlamp for backpacking. I didn't see one that addressed this so I thought i'd post it. I like it to be waterproof at least but other than that i'm open to what you suggest. I saw a Fenix HL21 that looked like it would do the trick. Thanks

markr6

Flashaholic
There's a lot of headlamp info around here and many people like Zebralights; I'm one of them. The H51 (cool white) or H51w (neutral white) is hard to beat on a single AA battery IMO. I would HIGHLY suggest the "f" models (H51Fw) for a frosted lens which spreads the beam out nice and smooth.

Quick summary of why I only use ZL headlamps:
-Waterproof (but you'll see complaints about this)
-Good quality
-Near-perfect user interface. Ability to start light in low or high (and almost medium) without having to cycle thru modes
-"w" versions have a PERFECT tint for outdoors
-Excellent runtime and output

Again, I would highly recommend the frosted lens and neutral white tint for backpacking and camping. I use the H600w often for backpacking since it turns night into day, at the expense of a more costly light and battery (Li-Ion 18650).

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. Looking for a headlamp for backpacking. I didn't see one that addressed this so I thought i'd post it. I like it to be waterproof at least but other than that i'm open to what you suggest. I saw a Fenix HL21 that looked like it would do the trick. Thanks

The right headlamp for you will depend upon the primary purpose it is intended to fill. For example, will you be using it primarily to set up camp after dark, for reading or rummaging through your gear, or for hiking after dark? For the former two uses, you will be better served with a flood lamp (Zebralight 502, 51f, or Spark SD52); for the latter, you would find a "throw" headlamp of more utility (Zebralight 51, Spark ST6, Fenix).

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
The right headlamp for you will depend upon the primary purpose it is intended to fill.

I couldn't agree more. A floody light might work for hiking as long as you're on a beaten path or know the route blindfolded. Otherwise you need throw, and plenty of it. I've been lost twice at night with a HL that wouldn't throw. It sucks. If it were me, I'd bring a floody Zebralight and a throwy handheld. I'd also stick with the AA format since that's what my GPS uses and I could share backup batteries.

Gordon

ThunderCloud

Newly Enlightened
Do any of the nice throw HLs have some kind of accessories that can quickly turn it into a floody light?

Otherwise I'm going with a floody H51fw with a throwy handheld like gajslk suggests.

carrot

Flashaholic
Speaking as someone who spends just about every weekend outdoors I'd recommend you get a Petzl headlamp like the Tikka XP2.

Product highlights:
- waterproof electronics -- you can change the batteries in rain or even under water
- rugged reliability -- bulletproof tough plastic design, also very difficult to accidentally activate the switch
- long battery life -- you'll never be surprised by a low battery
- easy to switch between flood and throw -- just flip the diffuse lens up or down

The Tikka XP2 lives in my pack and the Tikka 2 lives on my table at home. These are my favorite headlamps even though I also own Zebralight, Black Diamond, Surefire Saint, Petzl Nao.

iammaxwell

Newly Enlightened
This is my aproach to headlamps (inspired by nutnfancy)
Fenix headband http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-flashlight-accessories-headband.aspx
Combined with one of the following (or any other that you prefer):
Quark Mini MLX https://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-X-AE
Fenix E15 http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-flashlights-e15-led-flashlight.aspx
Very light weight. Light can be swapped out at any time, for what ever reason. Plus storage for spare batteries or whatever else; freeing up pocket space.

malb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Looks like I have some research to do. My biggest concern is getting stuck in rainy weather and having my light go out. How is the XP 2 in rain?

rojos

Enlightened

It really depends on where and how you plan to use it. Some info regarding the type of trail and the kind of use you're planning on would help narrow things down a little bit.

FWIW, having a headlamp, any headlamp at all, is the main thing. Even a cheap old Energizer is adequate for most backpacking situations. The gap between having a great headlamp and a mediocre headlamp is monumentally smaller than the gap between having a mediocre headlamp and having only a handheld flashlight or, even worse, no light at all. So having even a mediocre headlamp is pretty good.

Last edited:

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Do any of the nice throw HLs have some kind of accessories that can quickly turn it into a floody light?

Yes indeed! The Spark throwers come with a frosted lens that can exchanged for the clear lens in about 30 seconds. They cut the output substantially, of course, but do produce a wonderfully smooth flood beam.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
There's a lot of wonderful information on this website that I have benefited from so I decided to share my viewpoint on a subject I understand as a way of giving back. Let me start by saying that I hike several times a week year-round. I am familiar with most of the suggestions that have been given so far and have personally tried them.
For myself I decided to settle on the Spark SD52 CW along with the optional reflector. Here's a quick bullet format of some of the facts as well as some opinions.

• Utilizes AA for an energy source same as my GPS and other electronics. I use eneloops.
  • When utilizing the stock reflector that comes with the light you get one of the most beautiful flood beams out there. This is incredibly useful in camp or in a tent or on a portaledge. It just gives you pure light for anything that you are doing without any kind of hotspot. This is great for anything from setting up camp, pitching a tent, cooking, setting up a fire or any other task within a 15 foot radius.
  • I find that the middle level (80lm) the most useful as it gives adequate runtime (I get over 7 hours) for everything setting up camp to actually night hiking. You do need the optional reflector if you are going to night hike ($10 option).
  • With 80 lm output and the optional reflector I can easily see about 70 feet out. If you are utilizing a GPS this is more than adequate to navigate any kind of terrain in my opinion. If you hit it on Turbo which is 300 lm you can see out to 100 feet. There are certain instances where you might need a more focused beam and the ability to see further but in my opinion those instances are far and few in between especially if you are using a GPS to navigate. If you can afford both weight wise and financially to have a flashlight along with this headlamp that would be the way to go or if you hike with a buddy and they have a flashlight. In my opinion the benefits of this headlamp outweigh the few situations where you might need more distance with the light. The huge benefit is that it literally lights up everything in your path out to about 30 feet so you can see where you are stepping and what you are doing.
  • Since I have been climbing for a long time I am very familiar Petzl. I love their climbing gear and use a lot of it. They make a good headlamp and they are not a bad choice but they are not in the same league as Spark in my opinion.
  • It is waterproof.
  • The headband is probably one of the best out there and sits the light on your head very comfortably. Definitely a lot better than the Zebra in this respect. And let's face it the headband is an integral part of this system.
  • One of the bad qualities is that the light will not shift into a lower mode when the battery goes low it will just shut off.
  • It will remember the modes. In other words if you shut it down in medium it will come back on in medium provided you don't change batteries. If you do swap out the batteries it always starts in low mode which is nice so that you don't lose your night vision in case you forget.
  • You can jump into Turbo mode which is 300 lm from any mode including off just by double-clicking quickly. You can then double-click again to return to whatever mode you had it previously set up.
  • Extremely easy to operate with gloves.
  • On high which is 220 lm the light will easily run two hours continuously. The light does get fairly warm at this level but is not uncomfortable to touch or have against skin.

I hope this helps with your decision-making process.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this is a long shot, but I've now taken a minimalist do-it-all approach to camp lighting. From the ability to run full (R)CR123 batt. equivalency for 400 [Zebra-] lumen highs, through the ubiquitous AA chemistries compatible with my other camping gadgets, to the SHTF household scavenging options. I'm a big night vision fan and tend to use 0.3/3/20 lumens as my L/M/H, and so a single cell will last an easy week's camping. Can't argue that does anything better than a dedicated purpose-built item, but I does everything well enough for me and is pocketable 24/7. BTW, I have a small box full of now idle Petzl, BD and ZL headlamps and lanterns.

CLICKY

lightcycle1

Enlightened
I was recently considering a Spark SD6 until I saw how bulky they are om the forehead. Love my ZL502 and H51 NT which is out for repair after 2 years of hard daily use. I bought the H502 for a spare while the H51 makes its round trip to china. Fell in love with the wide smooth floody beam for table work, reading, or working in a confind area. Definitley not a thrower but for digging in a pack or a tent light it's aces.
I too opted to get the Fenix headstrap for my PD32UE which is an amazingly nice combo of throw and flood. I'll strap the PD32 on my head if I should need big lumes out there and hands free, but honestly I havnt been in a situation yet where my H51 wih a fresh AA hasnt been able to handle. Both are great lights. The Fenix headstrap will give me the option to go nuclear if needed.

The no warning cutoff and the reported memory problems with the Sparks were a dealbreaker also.
If ZL would put out an H600 floody with am optional throw reflector bezel like the Spark I'd probably be all over that.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Knight_Light

Enlightened
I was recently considering a Spark SD6 until I saw how bulky they are om the forehead.

I know everybody's definition of bulky will vary. Honestly I don't find the Spark SD52 all that bulky and the fact that it does stick out further than the Zebra will be easier for people that wear glasses. So in a way this might actually be a benefit. Same thing goes for if you are wearing a hardshell jacket with a hood up.

Fell in love with the wide smooth floody beam for table work, reading, or working in a confind area.

Floody beams rock at the camp site. In my opinion the Spark SD52 has a nicer flood beam than the Zebra H502. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking Zebra Lights. They are very good lights and I have and own them. There are a few reasons I think the Spark is hands down better than Zebra for hiking. The output levels on the Spark in my opinion are more suited towards hiking. I know that this is based on individuals but for me personally 50 lm on the Zebra light is just not enough and 160 lm is overkill. Although the 25 lm setting on the Zebra is very desirable.

The no warning cutoff

This is definitely a drawback for the Spark. Especially if you are caving which is something I also do. One note on this is that it will start back up again if you turn it on again and it will turn on in low mode.

If ZL would put out an H600 floody with am optional throw reflector bezel like the Spark I'd probably be all over that.
That's another point as to why the Spark is the better option for hiking. It gives you flexibility to go from flood to a light that can be modified to increase its throw.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was recently considering a Spark SD6 until I saw how bulky they are om the forehead. Love my ZL502 and H51 NT which is out for repair after 2 years of hard daily use. I bought the H502 for a spare while the H51 makes its round trip to china. Fell in love with the wide smooth floody beam for table work, reading, or working in a confind area. Definitley not a thrower but for digging in a pack or a tent light it's aces.
I too opted to get the Fenix headstrap for my PD32UE which is an amazingly nice combo of throw and flood. I'll strap the PD32 on my head if I should need big lumes out there and hands free, but honestly I havnt been in a situation yet where my H51 wih a fresh AA hasnt been able to handle. Both are great lights. The Fenix headstrap will give me the option to go nuclear if needed.

The no warning cutoff and the reported memory problems with the Sparks were a dealbreaker also.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

yeah it is visually bulky. there is some space in the tube also(why why why?). maybe it was because the silicone holders of the sd6 and sd52 seem identical which could streamline manufacturing process. sd52 size makes sense. space for 2aa with no leftover space. i think the sd6 could go on a visual diet. keep the mid section the same size to where it meets the silicone holder. then make both ends thinner to just fit the battery.

actually, i think it would be cool if they had a "light" version and just shave all the fins off to lighten the light. especially for people who don't necessarily push it to the limits.

it's not too bad though because let's face it, headlamps are always and will forever be the "geeky" light choice. thin, fat, small, big. it will always incite giggles.

the sd52 has some quirky behavior. with nimhs it doesn't always save the last mode. also with nimhs, it doesn't always start on the first try.
i'm not sure if these issues have been addressed in the current batch though.
one con of the sd52 is there is no lockout feature based on it's design.
i understand why people get it. there is nothing like streamlining your gadget system in terms of energy source(swappable, backup, same charger, weight savings etc)

the swappable screw in reflector is the sd series is the trump card in my opinion. easily they could have made more money making several versions of the light. this makes it easy to fine tune the light to your task.

i think the sd series is the most versatile headlamp in the market now. i can't imagine ever selling it in the future.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I like my BD Storm. Runs on 4 "AAA" batteries, has long run times, and has dedicated spot beam and flood beams. Only problem I have with it is that the white beams do not have mode memory. When in the red light mode, it does have memory.

Knight_Light

Enlightened

because let's face it, headlamps are always and will forever be the"geeky" light choice. thin, fat, small, big. it will always incite giggles.
I don't know if I would agree with that one I know some pretty bad *** outdoors people ranging from climbers to hunters to hikers that would tend to disagree.

the sd52 has some quirky behavior. with nimhs it doesn't always save thelast mode.

The only time it doesn't save the memory for me and loses the memory is when I swap out the batteries. Then it starts on low.

also with nimhs, it doesn't always start on the first try.

I think a lot of people confuse this as quirky behavior however it is actually user error. This can definitely be debated as a design flaw of the light but itis actually meant to operate that way. I am actually on the fence on this one. Let me clarify.

· Very quick click will turn it on.
· A long click will start you through the cycling of modes.
· Somewhere in between these is where the problem starts. I guess Spark designed it as a kind of momentary on. And I guess that is the best you can do with an electronic switch. So what happens is if you are not quick enough the light comes on and then shuts off. If you hold it down then it always comes on and starts the cycle. And if you press it and release it really quick it will always turn on properly. I have to admit sometimes it is a nuisance and even knowing this design specific quirk I still screw it up on occasion.

one con of the sd52 is there is no lockout feature based on it'sdesign.
Definitely a bummer.