How many 123s in a Mag 4C?

drumgod

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Welcome to my first post on CPF! I found my way in here a little while back while looking for info on converting (MODing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) a couple of older lights I have to LED. Since then I've come to realize I REALLY like BRIGHT lights. I've also come to realize that (at least at an entry level) incandescents have a much better "bang for the buck". I had a an old 2C laying around so I converted it to 3x123s and a KPR112. The hot spot is about as bright as my SF C3! The C3 still puts out more usable light... but dang! The "throw" on the converted Mag still makes me giggle! But I digress...

Since my first Mag mod took all of 10 minutes and made me quite happy, I decided to dig out my old 4D and see what I could do. I'm more of a instant gratification kind of guy and didn't want to order any custom "super bulbs". That left... an MR16.

I am pleased to say that I'm still laughing about lighting up my neighbors house with a 20W 8 deg. MR16 powered by 12 lith. AAs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif That being said, I really don't like the size of the 4D. Since I made a PR to MR "adapter" (kinda' as seen here on CPF) I think I'd like to move it to a 123 power source in a C bodied Mag. Nobody around here carries bigger than 2C, so I'll have to order one on-line. Will 7 123s fit in a 4C?

Thanks to all (Ginseng, PlayboyJoeShmoe, et al) for creating a new "hot wire" guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
drumgod,

Welcome to CPF and especially to the ranks of the hot wire team. You've already discovered the pleasures of boiling tungsten so I say...good man!

6 x 123 will fit with the stock tailcap and a short extension spring slipped over the end of the stock spring. 7 x 123 will fit if you remove the stock tailcap spring, grind the anodize off the inside of the tailcap and use a short compression spring like you would find at Home Depot. This is actually much easier done than said. I get my odd-size Mags from Zbattery.com. Good prices, good service.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the burn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey
edited for clarity

drumgod

Newly Enlightened
Ginseng,

Thanks for the info and dealer recommendation! I figured if a 2C would hold 3-4 123s then the 4C should hold 6-7. (Assuming they had the same "deep" tail cap.) I just didn't want to order one and then realize I made an a$$ out of me and um... myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On that note, does anyone know how far you can push the 20W MR16s? I read PlayboyJoeShmoe's post about using 7x123s, hence that as my C bodied goal. How about with AAs? There's 12 liths in my first attempt for ~20V. 7x123s provide ~21V, yes? SOOOooo, if I add another lith. AA that will bring me up to ~22V. Think it'll pop? I don't mind trying it out, but why waste $5 if someone already knows it won't work.

Thanks again to all!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of anyone besides PJS who's pushed the MR this far. 20V out of a 12V bulb is pretty extreme. I guess the only way to find out is to blow one. You don't really earn your hot wire stripes until you've popped a few bulbs anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Latest posts