JetBeam RRT-0 XML

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
It just arrived!

Put in a Duracell AA; yep, it works.... put in a CR123 primary; yep, it's brighter. Construction is very nice.

Initial thoughts after messing with it a bit... I don't feel $90 worth of impressed.

The variable ring seems a little sloppy, somewhat smooth rotating, but not "fluid-like". Seems like crud could get in there and foul it up.The only detent is at the off position... It's going to be at a different brightness every time I take it out of my pocket. I love the adjustable brightness, but infinitely variable seems pretty pointless... does anyone need that level of granularity? 4 or 5 different, definitive, firmly detented, settings would be more practical and welcome.

The light output is definitely impressive, very nice flood... definite noticeable green tint to it.

Pros:
- Bright!
- Forward tail clicky
- Control ring easy to use
- Takes AA, CR123, RCR 123, 14500 (comes with extender tube)

Cons:
- Greenish tint to beam
- Control ring is too easy to move and change brightness
- Wobbly tailstanding (rubber of switch extends slightly past tailcap lip)

I think I'm going to send it back.

Editor's Note: I am not a connoisseur of fine flash lights, like many of you here... just not completely satisfied with this one.

Last edited:

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
If you want to try a different take on the infinitely variable family, try the Sunwayman V11R.
- It's nearly as bright (500 claimed vs 550 claimed)
- There is an extender available for AA/14500 batteries
- It uses a friction style adjustment ring which is "firmer" IMO than the RRT-0
- It is shorter than the RRT-0

Or, Sunwayman also makes the M11R. It's not as bright as the V11R or the RRT-0 but it uses detented stops on the control ring for pre-defined brightness selections. And the same extender the V11R uses will work on the M11R.

Edited to add: I own both. I'm not absolutely sure which one I like more but the V11R does end up in my pocket more often ;)

fyrstormer

Banned
Honestly, the SWM control ring will inevitably disappoint you after a while. There is no mechanical friction element to keep the ring from rotating, or to provide a consistent feel -- it relies entirely on the grease under the ring to provide friction, and the grease changes viscosity when it gets hot, cold, or damp. If you ever wash the light, the grease under the ring will slowly deplete until there is almost nothing left, and the control ring will just wobble around.

The RRT-0's control ring may not be perfect, but it's the best on the market. I've tried all the others, and I keep going back to the RRT-0 for personal use and for gifts.

Speaking of which, I've never had trouble with the RRT-0 changing brightness on me. I'm sure the ring does move a little while it's in my pocket, but it's never been enough to matter.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I've been using my RRT0 XML since December 2012. It's my favorite EDC. I use an AW IMR 16340 in it. I've no troubles w/ the ring moving around in the pocket. I considered the HDS Rotary, but at such crazy wait times and price, this unit is just fine. I like a light that'll tail stand. My button made the light wobble a little at first. But after 1-2 weeks of using it, it seems as though the button broke-in; and now it tail stands firmly and flat! :) I bought JetBeam's titanium pocket clip and like its Pelican Bill style look...

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just arrived!

Put in a Duracell AA; yep, it works.... put in a CR123 primary; yep, it's brighter. Construction is very nice.

Initial thoughts after messing with it a bit... I don't feel $90 worth of impressed.

The variable ring seems a little sloppy, somewhat smooth rotating, but not "fluid-like". Seems like crud could get in there and foul it up.The only detent is at the off position... It's going to be at a different brightness every time I take it out of my pocket. I love the adjustable brightness, but infinitely variable seems pretty pointless... does anyone need that level of granularity? 4 or 5 different, definitive, firmly detented, settings would be more practical and welcome.

The light output is definitely impressive, very nice flood... definite noticeable green tint to it.

Pros:
- Bright!
- Forward tail clicky
- Control ring easy to use
- Takes AA, CR123, RCR 123, 14500 (comes with extender tube)

Cons:
- Greenish tint to beam
- Control ring is too easy to move and change brightness
- Wobbly tailstanding (rubber of switch extends slightly past tailcap lip)

I think I'm going to send it back.

Editor's Note: I am not a connoisseur of fine flash lights, like many of you here... just not completely satisfied with this one.

Hi, i have the nitecore version and after living with it for a couple of years i will never get rid, it is so right for every situation, and very quick to get to the desired brightness. for me the infinite adjustment has been brilliant in DIY, working on car, searching for things i can allways set it quickly to illuminate but not get any of that reflected blindness. they are tough too.
I can see where your coming from and i too was probally the same about mine but it grows on you and you will start to respect it !

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
I've been using it for a few days now and have to admit, it's growing on me... it's a lot more flood than I'm used to and at night, I pretty much blind myself when I put it on high. The brightness setting changing in my pocket doesn't seem to be an issue. Light seems to tailstand just fine now that I've been using it for a bit. I guess, really my only remaining beef is the greenish tint.