Hotmail unresponsive after automatic Outlook 'upgrade'.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well, another upgrade from those who know what we need better than we know ourselves.

When I first heard of the necessary upgrade I wondered how many troubles there would be, and how choices they would be making for me.

For example, would it be too much to ask that it let you choose if you wanted any changes in the first place, or to have it at least work?

When I went to check e-mail tonight, there was Outlook in all its splendor waiting to frustrate and thwart me. First it allowed me to delete one message, then open another, at which point it ceased to function, and now hours later, that's where it stands.

I can see my inbox, new messages accumulate, but I can not get inside to read them.

Anyone experiencing any trouble with theirs or have any meaningful help to offer?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I accidentally chose to convert from Hotmail sooner than the forced MS conversion to Outlock, er, Outlook. For a day or so, my converted Outlook was not functional either.

If you can log off, do so. and wait until at least the next day, since most servers run a different set of routines overnight. After a couple days, my Outlook email settled down to what MS seems to expect, but not what I expected.

For example, nearly 100% of the time, I lost any ability to forward a message and simply type the first few characters of the desired recipient's name or email address in the appropriate To/CC/BCC box whereupon the Hotmail system would select the address from my contact list. That functioned rather well in the old Hotmail system. Now in Outlook if I want to write an email to someone, I have to switch to the contact list, select the contacts, then click on the icon to send these people an email. Simply clicking on New and attempting to partially type the leading characters of the known & listed email address in the appropriate To/CC/BCC boxes is not functional.

Grump.

Right now even MS is probably very overloaded with the conversion process from Hotmail to Outlook. Maybe after a few months MS might understand the rest of our problems. ie: I remember that Boeing said that it would comply with DOD requirements and change it's server names, and it decided to also upgrade/move the new servers to yet another building, all in the same weekend. What were those managers smoking? not a chance! When we read that email, we realized that managers were setting goals w/o listening to any voices of reason from the IT techies/sysadmins. What happened? The weekend passed and no Boeing server was online on Monday morning. It took a month before IT at Boeing sort of worked out the many problems.

Last edited:

Latest posts