Foursevens QPA-AA Mode Question

teslaguy

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a 1 x AA flashlight for a friend, and this one seems promising. Forward clicky was was a requirement, and other candidates were reverse clicky or twisty. This morning I read reviews about the QP2A, and started to worry. One person said that a partial press activates strobe mode, and that clicking it activates high. Another said that if it is turned off and on it cycles between strobe and high. They also said it had no mode memory, and would reset itself if turned off. He needs a flashlight that will be in whatever mode he chooses, regardless if it is partially depressed or clicked on. Strobe is almost useless to this user. Does this flashlight have this capacity?

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a 1 x AA flashlight for a friend, and this one seems promising. Forward clicky was was a requirement, and other candidates were reverse clicky or twisty. This morning I read reviews about the QP2A, and started to worry. One person said that a partial press activates strobe mode, and that clicking it activates high. Another said that if it is turned off and on it cycles between strobe and high. They also said it had no mode memory, and would reset itself if turned off. He needs a flashlight that will be in whatever mode he chooses, regardless if it is partially depressed or clicked on. Strobe is almost useless to this user. Does this flashlight have this capacity?

Seems to be some confusion, and not sure if I have read your comments correctly but....

The "P" in the model designation refers to the Pro interface which has no memory, and it has a reverse clicky. Some of the behavior you describe sounds like what happens if you put an optional Tactical forward clicky on the Pro interface - the momentary feature becomes a mode changer rather than a true momentary (ability to flash the same mode on/off), which is typical of multi-mode light controlled by a single button.

Sounds like you want the Tactical version which has two programmable modes (loose/tight bezel) and the forward momentary clicky - QTA or QT2A (-X for XML).

teslaguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your helpful response. The FourSevens site is light on information (unless I missed a page), so I had no idea about the exact operations of the variants. The Tactical sounds like the answer.

Wolf359

Enlightened
have you looked at the Fenix E11 that has a forward clicky but only 2 modes high or low set by twisting the head of the light ?

teslaguy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your alternative suggestion. The Fenix E11 does all my friend needs, and at $26, is much closer to what he is used to spending.