FENIX RC40/PD32 UE UPDATE

SurefireFenix

Enlightened
A buddy of mine works for a direct distributor for Fenix in Colorado and he told me that the RC 40 will not be available on the original predicted release date of MARCH 28th. They are having some type of manufacturing problem so the RC40 will not be released untill sometime in April. He also told me the price would still be 369.99 and they are working on coming out with a seperate battery that you will be able to purchase, and he has confirmed that the spare battery will not be a battery kit like the RC10/RC15, it will just be a separate battery you can purchase by itself. He also told me that they are discontinuing the PD32 UE because they will be making a better upgraded model called the PD35.

Patriot

Flashaholic
This would be good information to have in the RC40 thread, keeping it all in one place.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
This would be good information to have in the RC40 thread, keeping is all in one place.

And maybe even a PD35 starter thread? I know, too early...but it would be fun to have a place to throw out some guesses on the updates and watch it evolve as we get near an official announcement (if ever).

It still seems strange to me that the PD32UE was discontinued and the PD32 XP-G2 didn't have a higher burst mode. I'm not saying one's an upgrade of the other, but would seem more appropriate to come out with a PD32 XP-G2 and in a neutral white - both with a higher mode instead of a separate limited run model.

I guess what I'm getting at is I wish Fenix would have emitter options like EagleTac. Keep the model numbers consistent and offer tints to serve the entire marketplace. I really like Fenix, but my colelction quickly went from 8 lights to just 2 (of the same model).

KevinFenixGear

Newly Enlightened
Good to know, I guess the people in the west coast are informed of these things before us in the east coast. I will try to verify this information today.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
And maybe even a PD35 starter thread? I know, too early...but it would be fun to have a place to throw out some guesses on the updates and watch it evolve as we get near an official announcement (if ever).
It's never too early to start talking about new lights!!! :D

I'm very curious about the PD35 but I'm also wondering if there are going to be new lights replacing the TK15 and TK22 before the PD35 shows up on official news.

SurefireFenix

Enlightened
This would be good information to have in the RC40 thread, keeping it all in one place.

Well I obviously knew that but I considered the fact that this is pretty big news, especially to someone like me who has been waiting for this flashlight for a long time, and I didnt want it to get overlooked in the other thread. Also, I included the PD32 UE news so I thought it would not be apporipriate for the RC40 thread anyway. I give you permission to post this exclusive news in the other thread if you want. BTW I been checking out a few of your reviews, nice job man!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the new PD35 will have a Cree XM-L2 l.e.d. and puts out around 800-900 lumens on high.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
" ... PD35.... better version of PD32 UE.... "

And this ladies and gentleman is why I play the waiting game. Any time there is a light I really want.... I wait a least a half year or more and something even better will come out lol. With the new xp-g2 and xm-l2 I know a lot of lights I've been eyeballing hard are either going to get upgrades or better but similar lights will come out soon.

Hmm... a PD35 sounds like a whole new light though. I'm guessing xm-l2 as well since they just put the new xp-g2 into the PD32, but I wonder if the actual light size/shape will be more or less the same?

TK41

Newly Enlightened
" ... PD35.... better version of PD32 UE.... "

And this ladies and gentleman is why I play the waiting game. Any time there is a light I really want.... I wait a least a half year or more and something even better will come out lol. ?

Yes, and then that something better will be replaced in another 6 months and so on and so on. You keep waiting and you'll never have any light. Plus, if you keep up with that mindset, you'll never be happy and always regret your purchase if you think you should have just waited a few more months for the latest and greatest. At some point you're just going to have to accept that a newer version with 20 more lumens isn't really worth being without a light for 6 months.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's very true but it also depends what lights you already have. If you already have a PD32 R5 or S2, unless you are in love with the UI then I'd wait to see what the PD35 looks like: you might want to upgrade to XP-G2 with a new light rather just a new emitter.
That said, I couldn't really wait...:D

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes, and then that something better will be replaced in another 6 months and so on and so on. You keep waiting and you'll never have any light. Plus, if you keep up with that mindset, you'll never be happy and always regret your purchase if you think you should have just waited a few more months for the latest and greatest. At some point you're just going to have to accept that a newer version with 20 more lumens isn't really worth being without a light for 6 months.

Exactly...thank you!! THERE IS NO WAITING GAME! Same when I was big into DSLRs. Canon came out with a new one all the time and what it really comes down to is vain. Do you actually use your light and want something nice that get's the job done perfect for you? Or do you just want the latest and greatest and sacrafice having the utility of model "A" right for "B" later.

There are some exceptions I'm sure, like those worried about quality issues on new models right off the line. Or even those who may wait to see if there is neutral or warm white tint coming. But to sit there and wait for what could be vaporware is just rediculous and a tough way to live life in my opinon (not just for flashlights)

Besides, if it's ruining your life you can always sell it for a models loss ($10-20) and get the new one while never losing any utility in the first place. Plus, you'll learn first hand if you actually like the light, UI, tint, etc. making the upgrade almost certain to work out.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thank you for your posts TK41 and Markr6. True that it also depends on what you already have, as Labrador72 stated but it's sufficient to say that if you wait 6 months at a time, nothing you've had previously will perform as well as what's available now, when we're talking about LED.

Imagine applying the same waiting concept to cameras, computers and cars. Technology moves at a different pace today. I say, get what's available, at a price point that's affordable, and enjoy the equipment that currently attainable.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about the PD35 - already the number change indicates that it will be a new light alltogether, probably same form factor but different UI.
It will probably spearhead new LD lights too just as the PD32 did. Once more info on the PD35 becomes available will know how future Fenix lights willl look like.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pd35 ? I hope it's shorter than the PD32ue. My pd32ue is almost as long as my old LD20 ;)

i hope it's a new line with the same UI. I like the two button over the old head twisting

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not really sure what there is to update on the PD32UE. Sure, make it shorter but then you lose the heat sinks so what's the point? You'll just be left with a PD32 with a neutral tint. Eagletac already offers great 1x18650 lights with a range of emitters to choose from in a compact size. I still like the Fenix forward clickies and mode selector though.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD35, assuming it exists and will exist, is supposed to be a new light replacing the PD32 not necessarily the PD32 UE. As far as we know there may even be a PD35 UE at some point.

Everything is possible and at this stage is all speculation but personally I find it hard to believe the UI will be identical to the PD32 or else they wouldn't have had to change the name. When Fenix they updated the LD10/20 PD20/30 with a new body (knurling + pocket) they didn't change the light name. Conversely, when TK12 > TK15: different UI. That doesn't mean Fenix are going to reintroduce the reverse clicky or that there won't necessarily be a switch to change mode - though I do hope it won't be on the head this time! :whistle:

Gotchrist

Newly Enlightened
I talked to Judy, the lady that handles the warranty and and repairs in Broken Arrow, and she also told me about the PD32UE production ending, and of the coming PD35 later this year. No details, and I don't know enough about anything to speculate :) but I am looking forward to seeing what it will be.