I hate strobe vent!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I never really liked strobe to begin with... couldn't see the use for it but now

I just had my 3rd fairly expensive light break in such a way that it defaults to strobe!

First was a Thrunite Scorpion turbo - loved the beam of the light, the amazing one handed UI except for the illogical order (jumping strobe from low to high :confused:) and the firefly mode. But about 3 months after using it, while in firefly mode it would randomly jump to strobe. Just the thing when you're trying to preserve night vision. It got worse until every mode was only and always stobe... sometimes it would come on in a non-strobe mode but then default to strobe.

Next was my eagletac G25C2 - It's a time thing and usually doesn't do it unless the light has been on for 5 minutes. However switching the light off after 5 minutes and then turning it back on doesn't really help... I'm thinking it's heat activated.

Yesterday a 3 day old $250 light started doing it in low mode and today in all modes! It's probably a lack of integrity to NOT say what it is as I'm trying to negotiate with them.

The whole joke about those lights being "tactical" and even having strobe is ludicrous!! Why include something not really useful when it can so easily break and take over the usefulness of the product if it wasn't for silly consumers happy to spend their $ on misleading marketing! Last month I was in a hot combat zone with an NGO bringing aid to civilians as both sides fighting were too afraid to go in. I was using firefly mode at night thru jungles and palm oil plantations to light the way but not bring too much attention to myself. What kind of frickin moron really thinks a **** poor made light is "tactical" because it includes strobe somewhere in the bank - of course I was already in a dangerous situation but having strobe go off in the middle of the night when you're alone, unarmed bringing in medical aid to accidently bombed civilians by trigger happy combat green soldiers and trying to stay concealed is crazy.

I know who thinks its tactical... the nervous enemy with automatic weapons will think that has to be either a police or military light!

Sorry for the vent... I'll edit this after the initial frusteration wears off... I don't really think everyone who thinks the scorpion or eagletac's "strobe" is "tactical" is a moron. Sorry for that... If you're in that camp I doubt you're a genius but I'm just sayin you know?

Cheeze1617

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying that eagletac g25c2 mkii. Did this happen because the eagletac is a poor light?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's really odd it happened to you across brands, i'm sorry that happened.

maybe it's a battery thing messing with it? what cell(s) are you using by chance?

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Pretty much all my lights are single mode in my opinion Malkoff and Elzetta are the only two who have nailed two mode lights.

I like the Foursevens tactical UI also but it isn't as solid

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff and Elzetta are the only two who have nailed two mode lights.
There's also the two stage tail switch from Surefire as seen on their Aviator, Lumamax, and EB1 Tactical models. I like my ThruNite Scorpion, but rather than magnetic, I wish the mode switch was mechanical like it is on the Malkoffs and ElZettas. It's amazing how few true tac lights are available.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the ET, if you have not already, give it a good cleaning and make sure the switch retaining ring is tightened down. What few issues I've ever had with ET lights, a good cleaning or tightening up fixed them right back.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
For the ET, if you have not already, give it a good cleaning and make sure the switch retaining ring is tightened down. What few issues I've ever had with ET lights, a good cleaning or tightening up fixed them right back.

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try. I should mention the Eagletac's durability in my experience is far above the scorpion. The scorpion failed 5X faster and failed much harder. Though it just did it to me tonight in Myanamar (I'm in Thailand on the border now) it only does it 5% of the time.

I'll check out the Malkoff and Elzetta's as I really do appreciate products that do what they were designed to do well.