My Own Jetbeam RRT-0 Kydex holster

tcc

Newly Enlightened
After getting this flashlight I wanted a holster for it so I can EDC it. Although it comes with a nylon holster I really didn't like it and seemed a bit bulky. I currently have a kydex holster for my current EDC light, Nitecore Defender Infinity, which I very much like.

So I set out searching online to see if anyone made one like the NDI but came up with nothing. I did find someone who made custom kydex holsters for flashlights and guns/mags but he didn't have the RRT-0. He was willing to give it a shot with a flashlight that he had that was similar but in the end I decided not to incase I didn't like the final product.

I started to watch youtube videos of how people were making their own gun holsters from kydex and thought it didn't seem too difficult given the right equipment. So I set out and purchased a 0.093 sheet of kydex locally (they only had that and 0.060 which I thought might be too thin), some rivets and a setter (if that's what you call it :p ). Already had a heat gun and didn't need a press since I was going to form everything by hand. Oh and this was going to be one piece. No two sides of the flashlight riveted together and a separate belt clip. ONE PIECE :D Just like the NDI holster.

Below are pictures of the work and the final outcome.

collageha.jpg

Now I'm going to try and make another one for a Leatherman Charge TTI multi-tool. Have some ideas on how I'm going to make it ;)

Last edited:

DrScum

Newly Enlightened
Nice work! Forming plastic is fun, as long as you don't burn your fingers.

I'm not sure how well it will work on Kydex, but for edge polishing, I usually use a quick pass with a propane torch set to a medium-small flame. It take a bit of practice to get it right, but the end result is a nice smooth edge without hand polishing.

tcc

Newly Enlightened

Yah, I read about that when searching for an alternate way to polish plastic edges but I'm too afraid of melting it and screwing up the whole thing when I'm right at the end of the process :D

tcc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

Now taking orders...lol..j/k :D

For some reason the picture I posted with captions seem blurry and not clear on the site yet I know it was clear when I uploaded it???? Go figure.

nyc71

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for illustrating, I'm going to try your belt loop method:thumbsup:

ACard

Newly Enlightened
Very cool, I am trying to work up the courage to form some plastic. It actually looks kind of fun. Dd you have to wear gloves while you were forming the kydex?

Andy