Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 - Initial observations

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my TX25 XM-L2 version today and I'm pleased with it there are some big time pro's and at least one con for me anyways. First I'll get the con out of the way because it's brief and it is just a design element and nothing faulty. Of course this being a side clicky and with the three modes being changed by loosening or tightening the head you must change the position of the light in your hand relative to what mode your in to operate the switch with one hand, twisting the head one way or the other repositions the side clicky so you must rotate the entire light a little to keep your thumb on or near the clicky. If only their was a magnetic ring on the head where the knurling is that would have made things perfect, maybe next time?

Keep in mind though no matter what mode you twist the head to it does not require a lot of rotating to get the light back in line with your thumb and also there is a momentary to max by holding down the switch when turned on and in low or medium, this may help keep some of the rotating to a minimum. That took a little longer to explain then I intended but I wanted to get across exactly what I was trying to describe. I would like to add my sample has some small anodizing chips around the stainless ring that circles the side switch, not a big deal but being from Eagletac and with it's price tag it should not be like that right out of the box.

Now the pro's, I will get right to it the TX25C2 XM-L2 is incredibly bright with incredible throw in a light this size, even after reading Selfbuilts lux ratings I was still shocked to see it throw so far and with pretty good spill to boot. Giving the amount of throw you get I don't think you will be disappointed with the spill area at all, I sure was not and I expected the spill diameter to be much smaller.

As you may have already seen the tailcap is completely flat so if you enjoy a bit of tail standing you will not be disappointed, it's rock solid on its tail end. Also most of the light's in this size and general shape all have clip on pocket clips but what you get here is a solid clip secured by a twist down ring like other Eagletac lights and 4sevens as well. Due to it's design it also does a good job of not rolling all over the place on a flat surface.

I also have the D25LC2 with the XM-L2 and the TX25 seems to dominate it in overall output, I was expecting to see only a marginal difference when I compared them via a ceiling bounce but the difference is very obvious.

Well I will continue to put it through its paces and see what comes of it but I would also like to hear what you other TX25C2 XM-L2 owners have to say.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your assessment. It is small, bright, and has really good throw. It is estimated at 965 ANSI lumens. No light is perfect, and this one gets a mark off for the side-switch/twisty-head combo that isn't ideal. I really like the EA4 UI camera-style side switch. Sadly, Nitecore has a patent on it, so others manufacturers won't be using it. There is also that 200 lumen medium mode is not easily accessible. It's not that important though as I use full Turbo mode about 95% of the time. Pretty much a one-mode on/off light for me. I carry mine everyday clipped inside my front pants pocket. Just a little bit big for an EDC, but Ima working it. I plan on getting the ET D25LC2 XM-L2 U2 light next.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never wanted a control ring on a particular light as bad as I do on this one, given its extreme output and throw along with a body style I like the good out weighs the bad (head twist with a side click). It would simply be outstanding even with a three of four mode magnetic ring but the real prize would be a infinite variable ring. :)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have two of them with XM-L2 U2's on its way :D

Aren't magnetic rings more prone to failure?

picrthis

Enlightened
That's good to hear, I have 1 that should arrive on Monday; I was debating the D25LC2 but decided to go with the TX25.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simple tail switch should have avoided the problem.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think ensuing patent litigation, vis-à-vis tailcap button momentary on with lockouts, is why we aren't seeing them anymore.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the light is in tactical mode, which version of strobe is on mode 3? Is it alternating 15hz-6.5hz-15hz or just constant 9.6hz strobe?

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

No. The switch is great, it's the head twisting has 2 different modes isn't ideal. Putting a tail clicky doesn't change that and would greatly increase the size. The small size with ridiculously brightness is what distinguishes this particular light from others.

biglights

Enlightened
No. The switch is great, it's the head twisting has 2 different modes isn't ideal. Putting a tail clicky doesn't change that and would greatly increase the size. The small size with ridiculously brightness is what distinguishes this particular light from others.

That is the truth! This thing is amazing for the size. I was blow away when I fired it up for the first time. This is a winner!

Watts Up!

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these and I HATE the UI! Every time I turn this thing on it turns off after two seconds then turns back on. I've been trying to fix it but I'm so confused the directions say twist the head one way then twist the lower section another way to level 2&3 then turn it back to level 1 and then cycle the modes back to 1st level for ten times within 5 seconds??? I mean c'mon! These lights are so cool but they ruin them with all this complicated twisting memory crap! I cannot figure it out I just WISH these manufacturers would just make a SIMPLE on and off button for these without all the secret memory codes with flashing lights and stupid strobes! This thing is stuck is some stupid hidden aux setting and I cannot get it back to normal. I just want a SIMPLE light that turns on (High. medium and low) that's it!
Also I gave one to my dad and he doesnt like it either he likes his simple D mag light he hates all this new stuff with the twist code crap lol.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one of these and I HATE the UI! Every time I turn this thing on it turns off after two seconds then turns back on. I've been trying to fix it but I'm so confused the directions say twist the head one way then twist the lower section another way to level 2&3 then turn it back to level 1 and then cycle the modes back to 1st level for ten times within 5 seconds??? I mean c'mon! These lights are so cool but they ruin them with all this complicated twisting memory crap! I cannot figure it out I just WISH these manufacturers would just make a SIMPLE on and off button for these without all the secret memory codes with flashing lights and stupid strobes! This thing is stuck is some stupid hidden aux setting and I cannot get it back to normal. I just want a SIMPLE light that turns on (High. medium and low) that's it!
Also I gave one to my dad and he doesnt like it either he likes his simple D mag light he hates all this new stuff with the twist code crap lol.

If you have a strobe in the 3rd mode (head completely loose) then you are in tactical mode, it's pretty simple to change it to regular mode. With the head already tight (mode 1)turn on the light, then twist the head from tight to loose (2nd mode) 10 times within 5 seconds. This will put you to regular mode

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing is stuck is some stupid hidden aux setting and I cannot get it back to normal.

Loosen the battery cap and tighten it back up.
It's now back to regular mode.

I just want a SIMPLE light that turns on (High. medium and low) that's it!

Push the button, twist the head for high, medium, and low. That's it!

Perhaps you should go to Walmart to get a light that is simple.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my two TX25C2's

They are not compatible with any 18650 that has a positive button terminal wider than 7mm. Great. Can't use my RediLasts nor my Panasonic 3400's.

I would have to take a knife to cut off the white ring surrounding the contact on the head spring.

TX25C2020.jpg

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd since I am pretty sure ET's own batteries are Panasonic based. They do already have the control ring ability on the M3C4 so hopefully it will make its way to others. A on-off side switch with a control ring would be nice.

picrthis

Enlightened
Just received my two TX25C2's

They are not compatible with any 18650 that has a positive button terminal wider than 7mm. Great. Can't use my RediLasts nor my Panasonic 3400's.

I would have to take a knife to cut off the white ring surrounding the contact on the head spring.
Just received mine too today, I'm using orbtronics 3400 (panasonic cell).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd since I am pretty sure ET's own batteries are Panasonic based. They do already have the control ring ability on the M3C4 so hopefully it will make its way to others. A on-off side switch with a control ring would be nice.

You have to keep in mind though yes they all use the same Panasonic cell but each manufacture (ET, Redilast, AW, Orb) all use different positive terminals, all they get get from Panasonic is the cell and then then they dress them up how they choose (labels, +/- contacts, protection board).

This is why I went from Redilast to Eagletac cells because ET uses a true button top, I liked the Redilast quality but it was hit or miss whether they would work in a given light. Also recently Eagletac switched to a nice tightly wrapped battery with no protruding label which also helps the fit in certain lights.

Latest posts