Malkoff        
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series

Flashaholic*

Default Re: TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series

Sorry, correction... starting voltage for the 17670 was 4.18v... If it was 2.18v, something would be terribly wrong with that 17670.
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_LED View Post
    Sorry, correction... starting voltage for the 17670 was 4.18v... If it was 2.18v, something would be terribly wrong with that 17670.
    Whew... for a moment there I was afraid I've created an ultimate module - the ones that shines and charges the battery at the same time...

I mean, people were killed in human history for far less than that...
    Last edited by Tana; 05-12-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Two out of 20 or so SingLEDs that I've shipped out have been reported not to be able to enter E1E body (one was E1O, second E1E, uncertain of vintage)... I do need to add explanation for this "incompatibility"...

Thru years, Surefire had internal bore for E2e models at around 17.20 (those bodies can fit 17670 with no extra reaming)... but so it happens that the older E1e bodies were a little narrower, at exactly 17.00mm... Late model E1E/E2E/E2D have internal bore at 17.10mm (which forms majority of e-series all around) and all SingLEDs have lower part of it cut between 17.05 and 17.10mm, to ensure at least little chance of contact with the body itself, not just inside the bezel...

So in case you have older body with 17.20mm bore straight from the factory, you don't have this issue (and it's recommended that you add a little self-adhesive alu or copper foil for better contact with body)...

In case you have what majority have, an E1E/E2E made in past 5-6 years, you'll be just fine - install module inside and it's all great fit and metal contact (as it can be straight away)...

In case you happen to have an E1e or E1O body that does not seat SingLED right away, it's an easy fix... you just need 800-1000 grit sand paper, cut the flat small piece with scissors and just sand the part that enters the body a little bit around, until it can enter the body... the better contact you have there, the better for heat management so don't over do it... it will be 0.05 to 0.08mm that you will need to sand off which is a 5-10 minutes job...

In case anyone don't want to mess with this, let me know when ordering SingLED as (unless you have a digital caliper which would be great) if you want it to be 100% fit in all bodies, I'll make sure that outside diameter is at 17.00mm before I ship... again, I urge everybody not to go for thin one as majority have newer bodies which will make much better fit when shipped like these initial ones...
    Last edited by Tana; 05-13-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_LED View Post
    I knew it

As I did mention in TripLED forum:

From tomorrow I'll have to spend at least 3 days in the hospital... my Chrone's started acting up and the pain I'm feeling in the past 4-5 days is due to it... I'll have to get thru treatment with corticosteroids and will have to get them intravenously so - 3+ LOOOONG and BORING days in the hospital...

Good thing about SingLEDs is that I've caught up with all prepaid ones...

Is still however owe 3 to Gunter so... as soon as I'm back, I'll finish them up and let you know...

dear tana,

come back soon and in better conditions!
    i wish you all the best for your hospitality treatment.

don't care about the few days we have to wait! you are first and so we care of you.

gunter

Wish you to come back soon in good health Tana!

Feel better! That's a nasty ailment for sure.

Tana,

I will also echo the sentiments in the previous two posts. Take care of yourself and get well.
    I received my XPG2 dropin today and it is fantastic. You will definitley be hearing from me for a 219 dropin as well.

Scott
    "It's not rocket surgery"

THANKS GUYS !!!

Update: I'm NOT released from the hospital and my doctor could not tell how long it will be... but I'm writing this from my home... the intermixed events ended up by me lying in the part of Gastroenterology that's not under lock and since I have ONE shot a day of corticosteroids (and two sets of pills) I've realized I can slip out every day for an hour or two (maybe even twice a day like that) and walk home (10-15 minutes of slow pace walk)... So those are lucky facts that I do intend to take advantage of... Spend some time with my wife and some time building something got to be better than just spending time in depressive hospital... at least until they figure out that I'm doing it (if that)...

So as of today, I do have three pills ready for our friend in Germany so I'll start with that... Beside those three pills, I do have:

1ea XPG2 pill carved...
    2ea Nichia 219 pill carved...

So basically I can build total of 6 pills while I'm considered to be in the hospital... anyone interested, let me know if you want any of those three built for you and I'll slowly get them done... I'm hoping to gather 4-5 packages until I leave hospital so I can take a trip the very next day to Croatia and ship them...

That said, the shipping will have to wait until I'm officially released... I was hoping it would be TODAY... but it might be between 5-20 more days...

Anyone else interested even if these three got snatched, don't worry... let me know when you're 100% sure you want a SingLED and I'll figure out how to get them made as quickly as possible... I'm thinking of even going to my workshop (5 minutes driving) but want to see how my absence today and tomorrow is taken...

Thank you all and good luck...

P.S.
    I wonder how silly this all sounds on the other side of the line...

Take care of yourself, Tarik. Health comes before anything else related to your hobbies!
    I'm Ryan.

I try to get more onto that advice, to be honest, Kuan...

We all tell others to take better care of themselves but in the end we don't listen to our own advices... This episode will definitely mark itself on me, for sure...

As for the hospital... it's as much productive as it's counter-productive, at least in my case... all I know is when building this stuff really relaxes me and helps me with stress...

Thanks for the good words...

These last 11 days are really killing my spirit... but I spend a lot of time "planning" while lying in hospital bed (when I can't take off for short time and sneak out home)...

The packages arrived home in the meantime and as soon as I'm able to freely go to workshop, I'll be able to carve few SingLED pills to accomodate dimensions of a new BOOST driver I got and I also got needed parts to tweak it and pretty much make SingLED that will run on single CR123 primary cell (or LFP rechargeable) cell, SINGLE MODE with ability adjust amp draw and output...

The one I have in mind what would be very interesting is 50-60 lumens (with Nichia219) and about 2 hours... probably closer to 3 hours with that output... it all needs some experimentation and good old runtime tests with primaries but I need time for that which I don't have right away... but it's brewing...

I still have two SingLEDs ready to be finished with good old 2.8-6V driver, one XPG2 and one Nichia219... plus my own stock from my collection, which I could relatively easily rebuild later when I have more free time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tana View Post
    These last 11 days are really killing my spirit... but I spend a lot of time "planning" while lying in hospital bed (when I can't take off for short time and sneak out home)...

plus my own stock from my collection, which I could relatively easily rebuild later when I have more free time...
    hmmm..
    interested in one for my e1d.
    what do you have in your private stash?
    shoot me a pm.

and again..please get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hron61 View Post
    hmmm..
    interested in one for my e1d.
    what do you have in your private stash?
    shoot me a pm.

and again..please get well soon.

What you need, Ron, is TripLED and you know it !!!

Will get with you via PM, my friend... horrible day today... but promising... maybe even finally get out by the end of the week (slim chance but possible)...

FREE... AS A BIRD... AT LAST !!!

After 16 days of hospitalization with daily 1-2 hours runaways, apparently wrong therapy, I'm released with bag full of medications to wear off bad stuff I was getting... BUT FROM HOME !!!

Going back to only true therapy - flashlights !!!

It's good to be home... the saga continues...

Unenlightened

Hi Tana,
    As perour PM, Paypal sent for 1 nos. of Nichia219 and 1 nos. of XPG2. Looking forward to receive it. Payment Sent (Unique TransactionID7KB84148AS372560F)

Quote Originally Posted by fongskiz View Post
    Hi Tana,
    As perour PM, Paypal sent for 1 nos. of Nichia219 and 1 nos. of XPG2. Looking forward to receive it. Payment Sent (Unique TransactionID7KB84148AS372560F)
    10-4, fongskiz... thanks... they should be with you shortly, will let you know tracking # as soon as they are on the way...

Happy your doing better! I will take a XPG2 R5 if you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by z98 View Post
    Happy your doing better! I will take a XPG2 R5 if you have any.
    No problem... I have to make few pills in workshop in next few days and will add yours to the list... I'll let you know in few days once it's close to done about details... in the meantime, maybe you could make few more posts around and enable your PM system...

Here's a new email account that will be limited to correspondence about flashlights and mods, just in case any issues with PM system on CPF (or for new members until they get their PM system enabled)... it is NOT PayPal address...

Last edited by Tana; 06-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Great thank you! I will send you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by z98 View Post
    Great thank you! I will send you an email.
    Got it and replied...

Maybe you'll become regular here on CPF... beautiful community...

today i recieved the last batch of dropins for my incans from tarik!
    great light-engines and perfectly build. the tint of the nichia 219 is very nice. as a "cool white fan" have to say, i like it!

now waiting for the darkness to play with...

thank you my friend!

regards from Germany

Gunter .::TNT Enlightened::.

Wow... here is something I don't have in any percentage in me - photography... With your permission, I would like to use this picture in my first post to represent my work... somehow whenever I made a pic it looks just - blend...

Thanks for the update, Gunter... I'm glad it all arrived to Germany... it's amazing it takes just as much as to Australia...

P.S.
    Your collection of e-series is amazing... and apparently keeps growing... keep it up, dude...

my friend,

permission approved!
    regards from Germany

UPDATE:

Just finished runtime test with SingLED with Nichia219 intended to be replacement for MN01 stock bulb in E1E...

So I started at 1845 with fresh Surefire CR123 with 3.148V initial voltage... the output was VERY CLOSE to E2E but hard to compare with eyes... as with LEDs, the spill is wider and more lumens goes into spill but less in hotspot which is smaller than stock xenon bulb (this is comparison with MN03 bulb on 2xCR123)... so about the same brightness as MN03, few lumens less... I'd say about 60 OTF as Surefires are known to overshoot OTF...

But the runtime is interesting... this is very efficient boost driver (around 88% at 3V) so for flat 2 hours it was left shining, going strong... as it was tailstanding it did get warm (about 5-10 degrees more than human skin) but that should be normal with boost and this efficiency... so 2 FLAT hours of runtime of about 60 OTF of beautiful neutral tint and great color redention...

Then few minutes after 2 hours of continuous run the host started getting hotter, thus suggesting that battery voltage dropped below 2.4V and that efficiency is probably way down to 50-60%... so after exactly 2 hours and 15 minutes I turned it off and call it a day... the battery measured 2.2V and poor cell was giving it best to deliver 1.5A with oscillations to the hungry driver... so having the host in the hand and feeling it getting hotter is good sign to replace the battery as this one is done for...

Again, this is driver to support 2.4-3.3V so primary cells or LFP rechargeables... It is NOT recommended to use AA cells as the driver is inefficient at that voltage and would get hot (probably damage something)... short bursts up to 10 seconds only... same for Li-Ion... above 3.3V the efficiency drops as well but LED get's more Vf than needed, thus double the cook-up...

Here's the small candle while running and lighting the room nicely... I wish there was a cut-off at 2.4V instead of draining more juice from already empty battery... But in normal use, with shorter runs (not continuous 2 hours and 15 minutes) it would be easier to decide when to swap the battery...

Once the host cooled down, put it all together again, turned on... still pushing out a lot of lumens even if cell shows 1.8V...

Just tried the same cell in Surefire E1B and it lights... Am I too concerned about safety of these primaries when they are so low in voltage and no indication to show for it ???
    Is it safe as long quality cell is used (genuine Surefire) ??? I thougth at 1.8V the E1B would not light up...
    Last edited by Tana; 06-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.

that sounds very interesting to me. aprox 60 lumens are enough for the most conditions! what i like is the long runtime without the unexpected cutoff like protected rechargeables do.
    currently i play with my e1e using your 219er single. for short distance an longer usage the tint is very pleasant to the eyes.

so maybe i...
    regards from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tana View Post
    Is it safe as long quality cell is used (genuine Surefire) ???
    Tana, shot you a PM. Tried to offer a suggestion with my EXTREMELY limited knowledge of drivers. Hope it helps.

UPDATE:

Single CR123 primary cell boost driver is again on HOLD... until I find a way to reduce boost under 2.4V or apply cut-off completely... I already have some ideas what I could do with this driver but there is always an option to go for completely new driver... that is when I do find time... for now regular TripLED and SingLED service has priority over R&D...

So only 2.8-6V SingLEDs with 3-mode and 1 amp on high (both Nichia219 and XPG2) and 1-mode with 700mA output (Nichia219) offered for now... I'm putting a hold onto 3-mode 0.8-4.2V boost driver as well for now (Nichia219)... I do have one done, planning to make 1-3 more... they will cost $85 and will be VERY limited in offer...

My primary concern in all this is safety (well... too much wattage per each TripLED is nowhere safe if left alone on high too long but we're all grownups to know better here... but if there is a chance that primary cell will VENT because it's being pushed too far when depleted, then it's not a good way to go)... I want it to be safe with pretty much ANY primary, not to say "use only Surefire's or Panasonics" but even they could vent if depleted too much as everything is prone to failure at some point...

Thanks all for suppport and to all members who PM'd with great suggestions... the saga continues... I need to prepare two regular SingLED's for shipping for Friday now...

Been messing around with my Brother labeler... just had something in mind to separate prototypes from regular SingLEDs... then thought, maybe add a final touch to regular offer of SingLEDs, 2.8-6V 3-mode or 1-mode... so this is how they would look like from now on (and this one is z98's XPG2, cool white, ready to ship tomorrow, among the other stuff)...

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast