Give me ideas for build

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
Sooo heres the light I just bought and I want it to be rediculas bright, It was built for 7 D batteries. I want to put a pretty big heatsink inside, several batteries, I'm open on the led choice/choices but I want it to be impressive throw or flood, whatever this head is built for. The head is 4 inchs and the reflector is copper with a coating. This light is stainless steel. ?http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Ray...sman-Hunting-Light-with-Leather-Strap-7D-1970 Maybe 2-3 mt gt2?

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to put a pretty big heatsink inside,

If your heat sink is inside the housing it will work for a short time while it soaks up heat, and then it will fail because the heat has nowhere to go. If you go HID or incan. you won't need a heat sink.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for an incan setup... That's a 1970 classic old school flashlight...she doesn't want an LED..:whistle:

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
I was considering HID but I was really wanting to play with an mtgt2 when I ordered this light. What about a recessed small reflector in the middle with a small thrower led then several xml2s or a couple mtg2s aound it. Long throw and crazy flood. Like I said I really just want the WOW factor from this light.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
watching this thread. I just got two of these from my dad. one to remain all original and one to mod...

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing that lens melt! Good luck with the project!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a glass lense I'll test to see what it does with a regular bulb. trying to get one of my two going as stock, and I tooks some alka-leaks from my mags and filled one. I had it sitting with the lense/bulb asembly out, tail standing/leaning, and I;m not sure what happened, but I picked up the light, and the whole thing was hot, like it had just direct shorted with the 7 cells, and the wraps had all heated up and peeled away from the batteries a bit, and there was a pool of leakiness in the tail cap.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the larger one would be close, and you could modify it so it was angled on the back end, and it would sit against the back of the head which is what you'd want anyway...