Am i alone on this, or does anyone else go by military time?

Frijid

Enlightened
I don't know of anyone else who goes by military time. like if someone asks what time it is i'll answer 18:22 and their like what? lol my wrist watch, cell phone, and other items i all have set to military time. anyone else do this.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi I go by military all the time; I leave it to those who don't know to work it out.
most things these days are 24.
all my stuff is set to Military .
thanks.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use 24 hour time; no need to ever ask am or pm.

I am surprised at how many people do not consider using this method; depending on location it is easy to add or subtract to find Zulu Time. :thumbsup:

Frijid

Enlightened
The only thing i get hung up on is midnight. some refer to it as like 24:12, yet i've heard some refer to it as 00:12. i myself tend to when referring to midnight say 24 o clock, then at 1 am, as 01 o clock. yet some say midnight is 00 o clock and 1 am is 01 o clock. i find 24 suits midnight better than 00, what do you guys think? i mean 22, 23 24, then back to 01 is better i think that 22, 23, 00, 01.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verbally I use 12hour time, but all of my clocks are 24 hour, and I write using 24 hour.

And it's 0012, not 2412 :)

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
as an ex-mil and having lived outside the US for years, all my digital devices with time-keeping run on the 24hr system. I normally switch the OS to use YYYYMMDD or DD.MM.YYYY. For abbreviated writing, I often use the DTG method as well, (Date Time Group). The habit of the civilian US to use Month-Day-Year just makes life difficult, expecially for programmers that have to parse date field entries into useful numbers.

And yes, it is 0012, not 2412. or, as we used during a boring mid-shift, Oh-dark-thirty or whatever the minutes happened to be on. Otherwise the digits were always individually specified, such as zero zero three zero to avoid confusion during unpleasantries. No, I never use a colon between the hours and minutes.

There was one situation I experienced where the time was routinely "adjusted". Once upon a long time ago, I happened to work a couple years in the USFS in northern Idaho - big timber country. Whenever we went out on a fire, if I was not on the fire line at night and was actually in my paper sleeping bag in the main fire camp, at about 0430 the fire or straw boss would walk around the camp saying very loudly: "Day, Day, Daylight in the swamp". and repeat it until everyone was up. The analogy was that in the deep swamp bayous of Lousiana down under the tree canopy, it was so dark that the sun could have risen and you would not know it. Why were we rousted out to the fire line at that time of day? Under normal conditions the diurnal mountain winds switched directions somewhere between 0530-0700. Hence with little/no wind the fire calmed down and we could get some hotlines down to mineral soil right next to the burn. Unless of course there were widow-makers above us, in which case the chain saw crew fired up their saws and dropped whatever trees were bothersome while one of us watched above to see what was coming loose. A widow-maker is a partially burned thru branch waiting for any disturbance to drop on the unsuspecting below

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
24-hour time here. Never served In the military. My time in EMS made it habitual.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If people ask for the time, I use regular time, but all my time pieces are set to use military time. I was never in the military, but military time just seems more logical to me.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work (in EMS) we use 24-hour time. When around friends/family, I find most people are confused by it so I use 12-hour format.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others, verbally I usually go with AM and PM, but all clocks, watches etc are set to military. It is just simpler, and it is never possible to confuse day or night with military time. Also, agree with 00 rather than 24 for midnight. If you think about it, 2412 is greater than 24, and so just by looking at that number alone, you are implying that there are more than 24 hours in a day. For that reason alone, even if it was convention, I would never even consider using 2400.

Turtles

Newly Enlightened
I use military time, except when talking to family and friends, but even then military time creeps in frequently.

2400 and 0000 can more or less be used interchangeably, but a fraction of a second past 2400 becomes 0000. You'll never see a clock that shows 2400 hours.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the 24 hour clock. My clocks whenever possible are set this way. At work we use the 24 hour clock however when giving the time to someone outside of the work environment I'll use the 12 hour clock to avoid confusion. BTW, I don't state 2400 hours as a time, for me it's 0000, called out as midnight. 0001 would be midnight one, 0030 would be midnight thirty. Just my preference, some call it zero zero zero one and zero zero thirty respectively, again just preference.

bnemmie

Enlightened
I find it alot easier to set the alarm on my phone using military time. Helps avoid mistakes when you think you set your alarm for 7AM and you actually set it for 7PM.

JCD

Enlightened
My clocks are set to 24 hour time format. When I speak the time, I use 12 hour format.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing i get hung up on is midnight. some refer to it as like 24:12, yet i've heard some refer to it as 00:12. i myself tend to when referring to midnight say 24 o clock, then at 1 am, as 01 o clock. yet some say midnight is 00 o clock and 1 am is 01 o clock. i find 24 suits midnight better than 00, what do you guys think? i mean 22, 23 24, then back to 01 is better i think that 22, 23, 00, 01.

I use 00:00 for the start of a day. :thumbsup:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use military time all the time... ever since I got my first digital Casio 20+ years ago...

However, I've met some people that asked me the time so instead of 4:15 I said 16:15 and they were like: What ???

It just seems easier to say 16:15 instead of 4:15 PM... or is it just a habit... who knows...

Oh... it's 00:01, definitely... should we all have a poll on it ??? :devil:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
My clocks are set to 24 hour time format. When I speak the time, I use 12 hour format.

Same here, unless I'm talking with fellow pilots, I speak in 12 hour format. Every clock I own (phone, computer, other gadgets) I use 24 hour format

Larbo

Enlightened
Anything I have that can be set to 24hr time gets set to it.