Nitecore EC25 Turbo Cut Off

Bushm4ster

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I just recieved my EC25 and when I ordered it I ordered it with 2 sets of Tenergy RCR123A batteries (900mah each, I believe). Rather quickly I began to have issues with the Turbo mode functions (Turbo, Strobe, etc.) of my brand new flashlight with my brand new batteries. The flashlight would cut off upon entering Turbo and become completely unresponsive until I loosened/re-tightened the tail cap. I then salvaged an old 18650, charged it, put it in the light, and everything appears to be functioning as Nitecore intended.

My question is: Should I consider exchanging the light? The RCR123's worked properly for a short period of time (about 1 hour total runtime) before the light seemed to reject their use for Turbo functions. The light functions normally in Daily mode with those batteries. I've done a fair bit of research on that flashlight/battery combo and seem to be the only person who's had this problem.

Is it that those batteries just couldn't push the lights Turbo functions? Do you think? Or, is it more likely that I own a haunted flashlight, or batteries even?

The bit that gives me pause is that I've not heard of anyone else having this issue.

Thanks upfront for any assistance.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Bushm4ster,

Sounds like your RCRs are giving you trouble, because your light seems to be working fine on your 18650. Do you have a voltmeter or multimeter? Would be useful to check the voltage on your RCRs when your flashlight starts to misbehave. If you don't have access to the voltage, maybe try out those 2 RCRs on any other flashlights that you may have that supports that configuration. I don't think your equipment is haunted. :D

Anyway, given the choice, I would choose a 3400mah 18650 over 2x RCRs.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had batteries that would work in one light and not in another. Usually I found the cells were defective/old/etc. I'd recommend buying Panasonic, AW, Redilast, or Callie's Kustom 18650 cells. Also if your RCRs are 3.0 volts they may not work with high C discharge.