Surefire 6P Question

squid8286

Newly Enlightened
Is there any difference in the Surefire 6P LED and Incandescent other than the lamp itself and the "LED" logo on the side of the LED light? I am in the process of buying two or three and upgrading them with a Malkoff M61 lamp.

JCD

Enlightened
It depends.

Assuming they are from about the same time of manufacture and were manufactured when the 6PL came with the P60L LED drop-in, then no, there should be no difference.

If the 6P incan is an older model without the notched ring retaining the window in the bezel, then that will be a difference, though. The press in windows were made of Lexan, while the 6P bezels with retaining rings use borofloat glass windows. I'm not sure if that difference would matter with a Malkoff M61 drop-in.

If the 6PL is a newer model with the LED integrated into the bezel (KX4 or KX4D bezel), then a replacement bezel might be needed to install the M61. (I think I read that the KX4/KX4D can be disassembled and have another drop-in installed, but the resale value of the KX4, compared to a regular Z44 bezel, makes doing so impractical.)

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
They are the same except for the things you pointed out. The led model has a P60L 80 lumen module and the incan. has a P60 60 lumen module. These are great for Malkoffs just don't get the newer led model with the newer KX4 with is a 120 lumen module that will not accept the Malkoffs. Welcome to CPF. Don't forget to read dangers of using lithium ion rechargables if you decide to go that route.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
I think I read that the KX4/KX4D can be disassembled and have another drop-in installed, but the resale value of the KX4, compared to a regular Z44 bezel, makes doing so impractical.
...KX4 with is a 120 lumen module that will not accept the Malkoffs.
KX4 can indeed accept M61 because of the sharp step at the back edge of the dropin itself - other dropins with angle at the outside of reflector do not fit. It is also not a direct drop-in procedure but rather a shoehorn project involving using spring to connect the negative end to back into flashlight body. Plus the fact like JCD mentioned that you should be able to sell KX4 and get more than enough money to buy Z44 and then some. :thumbsup:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once installed M61W into KX4 housing... It was cute for a while but nowhere practical as selling it to someone who might be interested and then investing in Z44 and spare money covers part of Malkoff module...