Thinking about my first Malkoff....

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Eyeballing the Malkoff website last night. Considering an MD2 turnkey to keep it simple.

300 lumens does not sound real powerful considering my Fenix Pd32 has a 700+ burst mode.

What is so special about the Malkoffs aside from that its a small USA firm which is awesome, and the drop in heads appear to give a little versatility in tint selction.

Comments? I really dont want to drop another c-Note on a light that doesnt, um, shine. Pun intended.
Sell me on a Malkoff MD2 turnkey??

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
One advantage of a Malkoff Devices light (for USA residents) is that you send it to Alabama instead of China should it ever require warranty repair work.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the turnkey isn't the only light there.
If you want more power, then you can pick the M91A with 750 lumens+, and no "burst" limitations. It works better with the MD3 battery tube for run times. But it could use a pair of Li-Ion batteries in an MD2 if needed, as long as limited run times are understood.
It all depends on what you are after.

I personally prefer the larger headed models such as the Hound Dog and Wildcat.
They are the higher power models, and they come with the Hi/Lo ring included as standard equipment.
There are no "step downs" or "burst modes" on Malkoffs. This is because they are properly designed for thermal management, which seems to be an unusual thing in today's flashlight world.

However, regardless of what Malkoff you might select, there is no comparison to these imported lights.
You can tell the instant you hold it in your hand and operate it. No comparison at all. You select the module, so select one with the power you want.

Last edited:

Paloa

Newly Enlightened
My first decent flashlight was a fenix pd2ue. It was a nice light with impressive output. After reading the boards to find out about batteries I learned about malkoff device lights.

This is a deep plunge so beware. Malkoff lights are addicting. They are extremely well made. You can feel the craftsmanship. They are rock solid and extremely reliable. My fenix is good but at night out in the dark and a flashlight being the difference between a walk out and a miserable night I trust malkoff quality. My fenix is much less reliable and is on the shelf.

I ordered a hounddog and a mdc. Loved both of them. Since then I have added two wildcats. Another mdc. Two md2 turnkey 219 and few dropins. Both the wildcats and the hounddog have incredible beams and fit their function. The 219 has incredible light. All are designed for a purpose and are the right tool for the job.

The high low ring is an incredible simple piece of engineering. When lots at stake simple is great.

Each piece can be lego with the others so I can use the md4 body when favoring runtime over weight. The md2 when I want a smaller lighter package. Md3 for the in between times.

With each order they arrive with a personal thank you note for the purchase. My emails were immediately responded to by gene himself.

So my advice is if your happy with fenix then stay in the shallow end of the pool, don't get a malkoff. The water is great in the other parts but it sure can get deep.

Craig K

Enlightened
Not so long ago I bought my first Malkoff and it was the MD2 turnkey If you are thinking about getting one just go for it the light is fantastic great build quality great beam it is just a great rock solid light also great service from Malkoff.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD2 with M61 (N if possible, for between 4000-5000K) and Hi/Lo ring would be a perfect first Malkoff...

It's tough, simple mode changing, works on any battery you can imagine (even on 1xCR123 or 2xAA in another sized body), 300 OTF lumens spec'd by Gene is usually brighter than 400-500 lumens that Chinese companies are marketing... as for 2xAA combo, try to find Surefire A19 1-cell extender that you can use for either longer runtime with 3xCR123 setup or in case of emergency, 2xAA batteries)...

PLUS... you're buying from a small family company with a great customer service... something goes wrong with your flashlight, Gene will help you out, for sure...

Then later one when you're addicted, there is so many other stuff... Hound Dog, Wild Cat, even the newer MDC, all awesome stuff...

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first "good" light was a Fenix PD31. I liked it and I have nothing bad to say about Fenix products but it's still the only Fenix I own.

My first Malkoff product was an M60 drop-in I bought for use in a Surefire C2. I was so impressed with it that I bought a turn-key MD2 with the M61. Then I had to get an M91 for use in a 9P. Of course when the XPG2 and XML2 versions came out I had to try them as well. Throw in a couple of other drop-ins, a Wildcat, 2 Hound Dogs, a variety of bodies, and 3 MDC's and I'm still buying Malkoff products. Like Paloa said, you can get in pretty deep.

They are great products, are well made, have gorgeous beams, are versatile (owing to the many options) and easily upgradable when the next great LED is released, and are provided by folks who understand customer service. I have never needed repair service but when I have e-mailed questions I have always received quick and friendly responses.

Also, if this eases your mind any about making the purchase, they have great resale value on the marketplace if you decide you don't like it.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
300 uniform clean lumens with the most perfect hot spot is a major selling point.

I have a 2,210 lumen EagleTac search light, 1,200+ lumen quad dropins for my surefires, and several 900+ lumen lights on the way...

However, my 70 lumen Malkoff M61WLL feels just as robust and useful as all of the above. It's my go to light for battery compatibility options alone.

sw6yvd.jpg

Malkoff M61WLL 70 lumens in a SureFire 6P with extender, 2AA alkalines + Fenix diffuser.

I actually had a 120 lumen version and sent it back because it was TOO bright for a very specific requirement - general vicinity use and a warm incandescent feel. Great for camping. Basement searching. Even reading.

You might also find this post useful (beam shots)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hread-Part-2&p=3934254&viewfull=1#post3934254

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go for the turnkey light consider the high/low ring. I have a bunch of Malkoff lights such as the Hound Dog, Wildcat, various drop-ins, as well as the turnkey. Never had a problem with any of them! I keep a cheap host with the M61 SHO 219 as a beater light next to my ROP 2D (also a beater).

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you search 'MD2' on this forum you'll find pages of threads on the light. Most, if not all of these threads comment favorably on it. I have many Malkoff products and I'm pleased with them all. The MD2 with a M61w drop in is what I've been using for work for about seven months now and it's been good. Bright enough, good spill, good runtimes on 18650s, good pocket clip, and it's getting banged around a lot with no issues so far. It's versatile in battery options and drop in selections, upgradable, configurable, and IMO a good 'beater'. They have a reputation for reliability however mine is relatively new with half a year of use so I personally can't attest to it but the build quality seems robust. One thing to note is the beam profile on the M61, it's not a tight beam or a thrower, it's more on the floody side. Good luck.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
300 lumens does not sound real powerful considering my Fenix Pd32 has a 700+ burst mode.
Malkoff's selling point is not high lumen numbers. His lumen claims are always less than it actually is. And 300 malkoff lumens vs 700 fenix lumens are not that big jump in brightness as it sounds. It wont look twice as dim, not even close. You need 4 times the lumens to see it as twice as bright, so you need about 1200 lumens to look twice as bright as a 300L malkoff. And with that kind of output, youll be chewing down your batteries way way fatster than twice as fast.

Drop that fenix some hundred times, and there is a good chance you got 0 lumens. The malkoff would prob still be working with it's 300. Malkoffs products are made to take a beating, and be impressive when used. Not to be impressive when compared numbers on a advertise. The newer fenix is kind of opposite, impressive lumen output on paper with burst mode. But not so impressive when you finally get one and hold it in one hand, and a malkoff in the other :)

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drop that fenix some hundred times, and there is a good chance you got 0 lumens. The malkoff would prob still be working with it's 300. Malkoffs products are made to take a beating, and be impressive when used. Not to be impressive when compared numbers on a advertise. The newer fenix is kind of opposite, impressive lumen output on paper with burst mode. But not so impressive when you finally get one and hold it in one hand, and a malkoff in the other :)

Man, you just made my day.
I bought a M61WL & am waiting for it to arrive but there is always some doubts in my about the cost.
Now I have no more regrets for it.
Thanks mate!

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with virtually everything that has been said here. Not necessarily unique, but still very important (to me, at least) is the long run time and the ability to 'drain' a primary cell. The MD2 will provide you with MORE than enough lumen for my needs, but when it drops out of regulation it will continue to provide useable light for a very long time.

It's been said, but just scan this forum for posts about Malkoff - the products, the company, the owners. See if you can find anything negative. You can look at my sig line and see that Malkoff lights make up the bulk of my collection, and a day doesn't go by that I don't use one or more of my MDCs and my Hound Dog. I have an MD2 turn key in my truck because I want to KNOW that the light will work when I need it. BTW, get the high/low package. You'll be amazed at how often "low" is plenty bright enough.

Gene's lights aren't sexy with lots of blinky modes and ridiculous lumen claims, but they just WORK. And it's been said, but Gene's claims are typically conservative. I have a home made integrating sphere and check most lights - his lights never disappoint.

Ultimately the decision has to be yours. If you want maximum lumen ratings, go for that number. If you want quality, reliability and amazing customer service, Malkoff should be at the top of your list. Oh, if you want ridiculously bright, check out the Wildcat or the Hound Dog. It's already been suggested. My Wildcat blew me away with sustained run time and output as seen HERE. But for a first Malkoff, the MD2 turn key package with high/low ring is hard to beat.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I have all malkoff models, the dont have the greatest runtimes, they are not the brightess but the are super dependable with a great beam quality. The will not ever fail when most needed, they are very well made.
I use the md2 as a bike light, bumps on the road do not bother it, resists all abuse i give it. I also use for pocket carry when needed. I recommend the md2 with a high/low switch.