Wicked Laser Torch flashlight

bell407mech

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone familiar with the Wicked Laser Torch flashlight? A 4100 Lumens output.

Does anyone have any input about this light?

Z-Tab

Enlightened
There are many posts about it if you try the Google Search directly below the CPF logo.

The prevailing opinion seems to be that it is not worth what they're charging.

Imon

Enlightened
Wrong forum because I don't think this flashlight is LED.

It's a throwback to old CPF when people were modding Mags into flamethrowers. :D
I used to have a Magcharger that I put an extension tube on, threw in two extra cells, and a stronger bulb and I think I got about 1500 lumens from that. Seems weak now... although it had very nice throw.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I had considered it at one point. It seems to be an HID light, not LED; so this thread will probably get moved. I contacted Wicked Lasers. I believe they told me it's made in China, and it has a 6 mo warranty. And that an extended one was not available. But the egg cooking and setting things on fire is impressive...

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive, maybe, but fraught with problems, and actually dangerous in many cases. The reviews listed on its own site feature many of these problems.

From Popular Mechanics article "And as we recovered our vision, our sense of smell alerted us to another concern: melting metal from some smoldering contact coils within the flashlight. After less than two minutes, the battery was blackened and giving off smoke..."

From TechCrunch "Making things even worse, you read that the Torch should only be used for about three minutes at a time, lest the thing become too hot to hold. Indeed, the Torch gets hot during use." And this isn't a gentle stepdown, this means turn it off or you might start a bigger fire than you intended.

From Gizmodo "But the heat this thing gives off is not all fun and games for pyromaniacs. It also severely limits the usability of the flashlight. After a few minutes of use, the Torch becomes too hot to hold in your hand...And, to be quite honest, the scary charging unit above is fairly unreliable. I found myself frequently resetting the magnets because it registered a full charge prematurely. Obviously, I can't recommend something this expensive, impractical and, quite frankly, dangerous..."

If these are the reviews that Wicked Lasers is highlighting, I wonder how bad some of the others were. You could buy a very nice 18650 light and a blowtorch for considerably less than the Torch, and you'd have better performance in both areas. Hate to be a downer, but until they make it reliable and at least marginally safe, I would stay away.

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Agreed. I think if I ever wanted an HID light, I'd go w/ the Polarion Helios. But that thing cost so much; I'd have to hit some "Donald Trump Lotto" - from one of the Lethal Weapon movies...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an HID, it's a halogen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2