Polished 2D M@G now what hotwire?

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/n-2-stuff/media/IMG_0484_zps78121394.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 It started dark blue. Ok so I have been cruzing many threads about Hotwires. The problem I am having is that so many are very old and the pictures are gone. I think I will build a ROP. I found the tail spring mod , but the switch mod I can't find any pictures of only text.

I want to run 2 li-ion's probably D size. Any help on the switch mod and socket mod would be great. I know about the lens and reflector.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a while since I've done an incan m@g mod.
With the ROP bulbs, the switch can easily handle the power but the tower cannot. The ROP high bulb will melt the tower when run continuously although ROP low is fine. I know cpf member "download" produced an aluminium tower for C sized m@gs but I'm not sure if anything was made for D size.

Another alternative is to use a kiu or fivemega socket with a WA1111 bulb which is similar in brightness, although you lose the quick focusing ability.

If you're willing to get the light quad bored, you could use 8AA with the WA1268 bulb which is a setup that I still use today.

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks monkeyboy I will PM "download" to see if he makes towers for a D size. I want to stick with li-ions. I do have 16 or 17 MR16 20 watt lamps that I would like to try out but then I will need it bored out and buy a AA battery adapter and a FM bi-pin socket.

Illum

Flashaholic
Unfortunately FiveMega stopped making medium orange peel reflectors to replace the stock plastic ones as well as the 6AA to 2D battery adapters required to push the ROP high lamp. Or else I'd probably make a couple more ROPs. :(

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
I see FM only has a few parts left. Odds and ends :( It looks like he made some awesome parts. I guess it's time to look for another lamp for 2 li-ions.

Thanks Guys

mesa232323

Enlightened
The ROP mod is a nice setup but it pulls a lot of current on the batteries and the possibility of instaflash is greater with low resistance mods. I would go with the Kui socket kit found here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/336736
High temp. socket kit and s/s bezel for mag (FINAL)

I would also use fivemega 2 inch deep reflectors which I believe he still has polished and a Welch allyn 1185 bulb from bulb connection dot com. If you put the battery spring in the tail cap you can run 3 26500 in series. It's a little brighter than the ROP mod and has a better beam profile.

Happy modding.

mesa232323

Enlightened
Here is a photo of a polished reflector on a 2 d mag

a3anuse5.jpg

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
If you arrange the AA cells with the overlapping portion of the cell wrap pointing toward the middle of the Mag body, you can fit four AA cells in a "square" configuration in a Mag D body without boring it out.

I'm having some troubles modding my switch tower to accommodate four battery terminals, though. Still getting mine wired up.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the WA1111 to be a fantastic bulb. It offers increased runtime, lower voltage sag, almost identical throw (tested by me with a lux meter), only slightly less output, and less heat that the ROP bulb. It runs cool enough to not melt the stock tower. It would make a fine performing and very long running light if used with 2 x 32650s. It is a bi-pin bulb of course.

I've built a few of these. It's a great little combo.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you arrange the AA cells with the overlapping portion of the cell wrap pointing toward the middle of the Mag body, you can fit four AA cells in a "square" configuration in a Mag D body without boring it out.

I'm having some troubles modding my switch tower to accommodate four battery terminals, though. Still getting mine wired up.

None of the newer high capacity/LSD cells will in fit this way but some of the older ones will. e.g. energizer 2500's and Rayovac 2500's although these are poor quality cells which would certainly not be the best choice for a high powered incan. Modamag's 8AA to 2D adapter will allow the the use of these cells without boring but Fivemega's 8AA to 2D adapter does not.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
monkeyboy, my new Eneloops fit fine in this way.

OK fair enough. I've just tried the same thing and it does go in but it's extremely tight. Maybe some sanding would be enough for the eneloops.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can be wrong but i can't see a lot of advantages using 8 instead of 6 AAs... With 6 you'll have a lot of 6V popular bulbs to overdrive at 7.2V and choose from...
ROP HIGH;
ROP LOW;
WA1111;
WA1160;
ph5761;
CL 1057;
Cl 1794;
mag charger bulb;
krypton/xenon mag 6 cell bulb;
krypton mag 5 cell bulb;

(some of them are very popular.. Like mags bulb.. But not as bright as others... Anyway i think this just makes you stup more versatile)...

On the other hand with 8xAAs i remember you can run
WA1274;
WA1164
..and maybe other quite rare bulbs.

:wave:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaidomain has metal medium orange peel reflectors at a reasonable price. They have a detachable cam.

mesa232323

Enlightened
What do you plan on running with the 8 AA setup?

mesa232323

Enlightened
A lot of sanding to be done. I've spent at least 30 minutes with a brake hone trying to widen my 2d for 8aa eneloops. Be careful, the outer protective skin of the battery rips easily resulting in a short to ground with the exposed battery casing. That's a big downside of sanding off the anodizing. I speak from experience having over heated my modamag holder and the springs being permanently un-sprung.
OK fair enough. I've just tried the same thing and it does go in but it's extremely tight. Maybe some sanding would be enough for the eneloops.

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
Kaidomain has metal medium orange peel reflectors at a reasonable price. They have a detachable cam.

Do you have a link?

Thanks for all the info guys. I still want to use 2 li-ions so how many lamps can take 8.4 volts without going :poof: