Internet Explorer question/problem

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I trusted the windows update to load and install several things since it has been a long while since I last updated. I have Win98. (not SE)

Now no pictures that are not already in cache are loading in Internet Explorer. I can't even view the windows update troubleshooting page!!!!! Microsoft won't let me view the page with Netscape!!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

This happened before (probably the last time I updated) and I can't remember what I did to remedy it. I do remember it was a pain though.

Any insights?

Edit: OK just noticed no page ever finishes loading. They get stuck trying to download images/gifs/icons whatever and nothing happens so it's stuck in limbo.

That's it I'm getting a Mac. (I'd put a laughing graemlen here, but I CAN'T SEE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

KGTKMGYJNUHYBVGVGYHUYB <-- me banging my head on keyboard with cap locks on.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the "Show pictures" option in Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Multimedia checked? Maybe it got unchecked somehow; that'll cause the pictures to just show the placeholder boxes instead of the pictures.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but that was the first thing I checked. Everything is as it should be (as far as I know) in IE settings.

It's not just that they are not appearing, but (even this page) they are not wanting to download.

For example this page (as I type this reply) has the images on top and the Surefire banner (all in cache I guess) but none of the graemlens are loading and the bottom of the page reads "29 items remaining" and nothing is happening. All pages seem to do this so no page will finish downloading, just hangs there.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another example is when I click on "continue" to post this, the page hangs on the "Your post has been entered. In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum." page and won't continue to the forum.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have any firewalls (Windows updates make your browser (IE) and e-mail programs (Outlook Express) in particular like they are new programs to the firewall (Zone Alarm)and you have to re-allow them access to the Internet) .... also if you have pop-up ad filters, edited your hosts file, Spybot, etc, you may need to tweak those programs. I'm not saying that you do, just some ideas.

Mike

Greta

Flashaholic
When is the last time you cleared your temp internet files folder? Your cache? I've had problems with images when the cache is at it's max. Regarding slow loading after you post, I have been having that problem lately too... it eventually "goes" but it's slow.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IE6/OE6 and/or the updates can hose your win98 install. I have Win98SE and it hosed my install. Had to reformat and install everything all over again. I put win98se on, just for my games (some are MSDOS).

Back when I had a notebook (only 32MB ram), it came with original win98 (IE4). I made the mistake of installing IE5 from windows update. I lost Internet access, completely. It took 4 or 5 attempts before I got it uninstalled.

Hint: reinstall windows (I HOPE you have a full windows CD, not a stupid rescue CD). Then only update except for IE, and download and use Mozilla for everything, including email.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK cleared out temp files, cache, emptied recycle bin, cleaned the carpets, did the dishes. Now CPF seems to load fine, but other sites still hang in limbo while trying to donwload images.

Thanks for all the help BTW!!

Note: the Graemlin panel loaded fine once and then tried it again with less than half the images loading and then it stopped.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
See this recent topic posted by the ever-knowledgeable Tomas, which could be the answer to your problems. Another rushed and bodged "Critical Update" which isn`t quite right. I havn`t installed it, and won`t until I know it`s been fixed.

Hopefully it`s un-installable, and that will be the end of your current troubles.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information, then on the tool bar, Tools > Internet Explorer Repair (or something like that, I've been on Win2K for over a year). I hope this helps.

Dan

snuffy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chris M. said:

Hopefully it`s un-installable,

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't, a friend of mine has it stuck on his 6.0. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
But as luck would have it, I'm running IE 5.5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let`s just hope they release a patch to fix that patch soon, and don`t bodge it this time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW as a committed IE fan (and maybe I should be!), I must say Mozilla Firebird is great. I have it here mainly for testing new web pages, but sometimes use it for general browsing if I fancy a change. It`s a little netscape-y in its rendering of pages for my liking, but the user interface and features are top notch. Nicely customisable, which I like, and didn`t try to take over my system like Netscrape did on my old system.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to say thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif for all the suggestions and help. I think IE is fine now although I'm not sure which particular thing fixed it. As it turns out one of the sites I kept going to (besides CPF) to see if it was fixed had problems with images anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif . I haven't fully checked IE out with all sites because...

I'm hooked on Mozilla's Firebird!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Very similar layout to IE, but doesn't seem as buggy. Lots of options and very customizable.