Surefire L1 mod

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I have a good'ole SF L1 22/1 lumens version.

it just aint bright enough, so im thinking about modding it.

I like the interface and optics, so im thinking about a simple emitter swap. What result can i get, from a XP-E2 for example? Will it throw like a champ?

And who can mod it? I have tried to contact Milky...

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I am definitely not an expert on L1s, but i did have a thought. IIRC, you have a light that is not based around a Cree emitter (luxeon maybe?), so simply swapping an xpe2 (as awesome as they are) may not have the desired effect. If the optic is optimized for another brand of emitter, there may be other factors to take into account to get the optimum focus.

Hopefully someone with more experience modding the earlier L1s will jump in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The drive current on that generation of L1's is pretty low, so I think you'd be looking at a driver upgrade as well.
Also, I doubt the optic isn't appropriate for our modern emitters. I have one of these (already gutted) and I'll be looking at a 'full monty' ($$$) to modernize it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Depending on the specifics (which "generation", color, etc), you may well be able to find someone willing to swap a more modern version, or even a modded version, for a stock vintage model in excellent condition ....

For example, Rat has been looking to trade a milky ML-1 for a stock vintage L1(-BK), on the MarketPlace :)

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=286304

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think youre talking about the early L1 with the tapered bezel, same as the pic in my signature?

these are actually very easy to mod. the bezel comes apart much easier than more modern surefires. the optic drops right out, and access to the emitter is right there.
the old luxeon is glued down, but is easily torn out. a seoul P4 is a direct swap, but the original optics which i think is a NX03(?) doesnt focus it well.

ive done a couple on my L1s.
i swapped in a nichia 219 into one using a carlco 10003 optic. the other has a high cri seoul P4 using a fraen optic which i had from the sandwich shop.
most 20mm optics fit in the head very well. a little shimming might be needed to focus the beam. i used a shim for the nichia 219 + carlco 10003 optic. but fraen optic readily sits on the SSC P4 creating a beautiful, perfect, throwy beam.
both beams now are quite similar to the stock beam. but with more of the lumens in the center of the beam for more throw. the P4+fraen optic is more narrow, almost like a beam with only hotspot and corona, and no spill. it has become my favorite light.

on my nichia 219 mod, i used a larger 14mm MCPCB which was trimmed in certain areas so it will sit flush inside the housing. this is is due to a couple of solder blobs from the last LED which created an uneven surface. i could of used a 10mm MCPCB, but i dislike how the connection leads are right next to the LED, which makes focusing the optic more difficult, and risk of shorting from an aluminum reflector.

i also have a McR18s orange peel reflector, which fits perfectly without any adjustments, but i prefer the beams from the optics.
the McR18s reflector is the reflector milky has put into many of his ML-1s
i also have other carlco 20mm optics, but found the optics im currently using make for the best narrow beam.
im thinking about putting an XP-G2 into my 3rd L1. but having done so yet.
an XP-E2 with reflector should get you pretty good throw, and im thinking 100+ lumens on high.
but if you want to use an optic, you will have to experiment which gets the best results, fortunately carlco makes 4 or 5 narrow beam 20mm optics for different emitter types you can try. and it doesnt cost much.

i dont have a light meter, so my outputs are only guessimates. :D
the high cri P4 put out around 70-80 lumens on high, and around 3 lumens on low.
the nichia 219 puts out around 100 lumens on high, and maybe 5-6 lumens on low.
again, these are only estimates when compared to other lights i have that have been measured by reviewers in their spheres.

and although the circuits are the same, my SSC P4 L1 gets better runtimes. ive tested both at the same time, and the nichia219 L1 shut off first. i cant remember the exact numbers.

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Thanks for answers!

Skyfire: I think it's a Gen 4 or 5, not really sure.

The L1 is a fantastic light, and it should get a major upgrade, or i'll keep it stock. I would love 200+lumens from it, with optics.

From what i understand from you guys, it seems like this isn't possible because the Cree's doesnt focus well, and that the drive current is too low. Would a driver upgrade ruin the UI? (light push LOW, hard push HIGH)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the gen 4 and 5 uses a domed optic, which is all throw. i have no experience modding those. so please disregard everything i wrote up there LOL.

200+ lumen will be difficult to get without changing the driver. i think the stock driver delivers about .350 amps on high.

i might be wrong, but from my understanding....
the tailswitch does not control brightness. the tailswitch alters the current, which allows the driver to know which mode to be in.

if you want brighter? the LX2 is very similar sized to the gen 5, same UI, throw very well, and is 200+ lumens. i found mine to be too bright for edc carry heheh.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cut down Quark xp-e reflector and a xp-e also works well in a 1.-3. gen L1. Will try some other combinations later to see what I prefer.

Last edited:

mar3

Newly Enlightened
I mod my Surefire L1 5gen witch xp-g2 r4 4b, this is the result on stock driver:

Luxeon low
P1140834.jpg

xp-g2 r4 4b low + MCR 20mm
P1140839.jpg

Luxeon high
P1140835.jpg

xp-g2 r4 4b high + MCR 20mm
P1140840.jpg

then removed from the tube electronics, and placed in the head new driver ( 1.4A AMC witch custom Ui. )
P1140853.jpg

P1140852.jpg

Now it is very bright ( ~9000 lux/1m )

mar3

Newly Enlightened
McR20 and XPG2 at 1.4A is amazing throw at 9,000 Lux. Great job.

sorry, wrong data :(

with xp-g2 1.4A and MCR20 I'll get good 7500lux/1m ( spot is quite big with stock convex lens ) it is still very bright and throw like crazy :)

P1140836.jpg

P1140838.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a Future Mod for you to consider.

The NEW Surefire E2DL Ultra 500 Lumen has a TIR optic and its reported to have 18.5K lux with XML at just 1.75A. I am willing to spend $200 on that new E2DL just to see what can be done with it.

bigC

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
carlco 10003, works great with a xp-e! Swapped out the reflector today :thumbsup:

Latest posts