Sunwayman: control ring durability

rlichter

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying a matte-finish titanium 4 Sevens Mini flashlight (CR123) on my key ring for a couple of years. In addition to bouncing around in my pocket rubbing elbows with the edges of various keys, the key ring itself has been dropped several feet onto concrete a fair number of times. It is just luck that the flashlight itself apparently never struck the concrete directly (there are no dings), but the fact that it has continued to work perfectly bespeaks a reasonably rugged design. I'm wondering of anyone has carried the Sunwayman V10r Ti(+) or M11r Sirius on a keyring? I would expect the mirror finish to show signs of abrasion, but I especially want to know how durable the control ring is, if its action remains free and smooth, how well it holds up if it gets dropped on concrete?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The control ring just slides back and forth on a slot on the outside of the body casing. Inside the ring there is a notch holding a magnet, whose field is picked up by the driver circuitry inside the main body of the light.

Since there are no mechanical linkages in the connection I would expect the control ring to be VERY durable. These things shouldn't wear out.

One possible issue: I had a V10a XPG whose head was dropped during a battery change. It fell 1 meter bezel first onto a wooden floor. The fall was so small that the anodizing wasn't even scratched... but it was enough to kill the light so it never worked again. Upon opening it up I discovered that a surface mount device on the driver board had literally just popped off.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The control ring just slides back and forth on a slot on the outside of the body casing. Inside the ring there is a notch holding a magnet, whose field is picked up by the driver circuitry inside the main body of the light.

Since there are no mechanical linkages in the connection I would expect the control ring to be VERY durable. These things shouldn't wear out.

One possible issue: I had a V10a XPG whose head was dropped during a battery change. It fell 1 meter bezel first onto a wooden floor. The fall was so small that the anodizing wasn't even scratched... but it was enough to kill the light so it never worked again. Upon opening it up I discovered that a surface mount device on the driver board had literally just popped off.
Definitely makes a good case for potting.