Jetbeam        

Thread: So the Klarus XT11 and Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 is in hand. Verdict?

Default So the Klarus XT11 and Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 is in hand. Verdict?

Wanted to chime in, running the XT11 using two IMR 16340's (800+ est lumens) and the Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 U2 (960 ANSI lumens).

The Eagletac is a little brighter but not by much. It has a more focused (thus consequently) "hotter" hotspot due to its smooth and deeper reflector. But I prefer the 11's bigger hotspot. It's still nearly as bright and you can paint lumens on someones face a bit easier with it. The XT11 is definitely on par as far as lux a few meters out looking at it.

For night jogging or traversing dark parking lots, stick with the XT11 and two IMR's. Granted the Klarus will have a much shorter run time with this config. But it perseveres being a slightly bigger light to hold onto (crenelated bezel and such, you get it), and its strobe is much more disorienting as well. Compared to the Eagletac the Klarus' two button tailcap interface is total absolute WIN in the panic mode accessibility dept.

The Eagletac would be a great non tactical emergency light however. Throws a little further with lots of blink and signal modes, and runs a little brighter longer.
    Last edited by ledmitter_nli; 04-01-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: So the Klarus XT11 and Eagletac TX25C2 XM-L2 is in hand. Verdict?

I wonder if it's too late to retract what I said about the XT11 being more disorienting.

When it's pitch black with no reference outside of the strobe pointed at you

I stumbled. Twice!

If you honestly think a flashlight is going to protect you in a dark alley, it's a false sense of security. The idea of a flashlight being used a tactical weapon has been perpetuated by manufacturers to lure customers into buying their product. I am not trying to be judgmental, only educational.

I EDC the Eagletac TX25C2, and it's best features are it's small size, extremely bright, great throw, and a really good pocket clip.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post
    If you honestly think a flashlight is going to protect you in a dark alley, it's a false sense of security. The idea of a flashlight being used a tactical weapon has been perpetuated by manufacturers to lure customers into buying their product. I am not trying to be judgmental, only educational.

I EDC the Eagletac TX25C2, and it's best features are it's small size, extremely bright, great throw, and a really good pocket clip.
    I really like the clip also. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post

Just a tool in the belt. Just a tool.

Flashaholic

I recently got the Eagletac XM-L2 myself. I think it's a great little light and I like it a lot. But, for work I still use my larger 4 Sevens Maelstrom X10. It's rated at only 640 lumens but it actually has greater output than the Eagletac because of it's larger head and deeper reflector. Also, the Eageltac's side switch doesn't give very good tactile feed back and one ends up fumbling in the dark to find it sometimes. I prefer a tail switch in this regard. I use my Eagletac for compact EDC when not at work. Incidentally, I agree that no flashlight alone is going to help you in an assault situation - unless while you're disorienting your assailant you're also hitting them in the head with something heavy or shooting them.

I don't think I can completely agree. Self defense instructors are able to do some demos (See Youtube) on how to use a light that, to me, looks to prove compelling. Also, any item that sticks out beyond your fist will certainly help in self defense, add a crenelated bezel and blinding light, I would imagine a second or two advantage could be very beneficial.
    I've also been told a story from a valuable customer of his lady friend, while being attacked, reached for you gun but due to the scuffle could only grab her Olight Warrior and ended up removing the guys eyeball.
    Light Junction Jeff
    Lightjunction.com - Illuminate Your World!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert56 View Post
    I recently got the Eagletac XM-L2 myself. I think it's a great little light and I like it a lot. But, for work I still use my larger 4 Sevens Maelstrom X10. It's rated at only 640 lumens but it actually has greater output than the Eagletac because of it's larger head and deeper reflector. Also, the Eageltac's side switch doesn't give very good tactile feed back and one ends up fumbling in the dark to find it sometimes. I prefer a tail switch in this regard. I use my Eagletac for compact EDC when not at work. Incidentally, I agree that no flashlight alone is going to help you in an assault situation - unless while you're disorienting your assailant you're also hitting them in the head with something heavy or shooting them.
    Yeah the Eagletac side switch blows. 100% agreed. I'm thinking about creating a raised rubber nub to glue onto it for better tactile feedback.

For urban sprawling I've decided to stick with the Klarus despite the TX25C2 having a better strobe. With two IMR's it still performs and the light feels great wrenched in the hand. Just carry a second set of batteries. They're small.

The two button switch is just unbeatable.

*Flashaholic*

The XT11 is a very strong preference for the LEO in my area. One aspect of them is that they are hard to break. You can really smash them and they'll keep working, and, yeah, the UI is #1 for most of us.

As for the light as a defensive measure, if you know how to use it in that function, it can be useful. Grizzlybb has done extensive research for his branch of LE in his country, and he has a thread describing some aspects of this.

A lot is contextual, and strobe for example is a very misunderstood function. Those who know how to use it, can, those who don't know, will potentially get into trouble. The reader's digest version of its use is to buy time to take advantage of a situation. Its not a stun gun, its a stimuli that distracts the attention of a perp, etc, and forces them to deal with the scenery being visible/not visible and their vision being blinded, etc. If drunk, that can be a very long time to buy, if used to strobes and sober, it buys less time, and so forth.

If you USE the time it buys, it works...otherwise, its not that useful...like creating a diversion...but not doing anything during it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    The XT11 is a very strong preference for the LEO in my area. One aspect of them is that they are hard to break. You can really smash them and they'll keep working, and, yeah, the UI is #1 for most of us.

As for the light as a defensive measure, if you know how to use it in that function, it can be useful. Grizzlybb has done extensive research for his branch of LE in his country, and he has a thread describing some aspects of this.

A lot is contextual, and strobe for example is a very misunderstood function. Those who know how to use it, can, those who don't know, will potentially get into trouble. The reader's digest version of its use is to buy time to take advantage of a situation. Its not a stun gun, its a stimuli that distracts the attention of a perp, etc, and forces them to deal with the scenery being visible/not visible and their vision being blinded, etc. If drunk, that can be a very long time to buy, if used to strobes and sober, it buys less time, and so forth.

If you USE the time it buys, it works...otherwise, its not that useful...like creating a diversion...but not doing anything during it.

Yeah I've been 'up' in that thread. I had some comments about the research. 20Hz and all.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ledmitter_nli View Post
    Yeah I've been 'up' in that thread. I had some comments about the research. 20Hz and all.
    LOL

I looked askance at the frequency too...but, hey, he did studies on it, my experience is anecdotal.

I look at it as data. The more the merrier, and, I am free to apply/reject whatever I want to.