HDS AA & 17670 body update

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I did some searching here for info about availability for AA and/or 17670 tubes for HDS clickies and rotaries but didn't come up with much hard info although I did see a couple of cool pictures :grin2:

Anyway, I figured I'd go straight to the source so I emailed HDS and asked if there were plans to make more. After Henry responded, I requested permission to share this on CPF, which he granted. He said:
"We are working on both sizes for both models. We are going though one more iteration of first article samples to make sure the shop has all of the issues resolved. We anticipate having them out in about 3 months."

This may be old news but I couldn't find any info on it so...pretty cool! :thumbsup:

- Tim

Imon

Enlightened
Interesting news.
I certainly hope it's not the same machine shop that's providing Henry with 16340 bodies! :poke:

Ok, joking aside, this is interesting considering how for years Henry had no plans of making the AA body a thing but now this news in the middle of him already having difficulty securing parts. Also not to mention the electronics would have to be different for the AA version (if it would run off alkaline or NiMH ... I will confess I'm not an expert in the electronics in the head of the HDS).
As for the 17670 body... why not just go for the 18650 body? Most of those could accommodate 17670s too.

Anyways, it's always nice to have more choices although the newer HDS lights use thicker Acme threads and my older HDS don't so there will be compatibility issues there.

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also not to mention the electronics would have to be different for the AA version (if it would run off alkaline or NiMH ... I will confess I'm not an expert in the electronics in the head of the HDS).

It is probably a 2 x AA body, that is what have been available before and a better setup IMO and what I would prefer.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
It is probably a 2 x AA body, that is what have been available before and a better setup IMO and what I would prefer.

I'm sure it is the 2xAA body as well. I asked if they planned on "making [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]more AA and/or 17670 tubes for either the clicky or rotary models[/FONT]" and the response, as noted above, was that yes, they were in the process of making more.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
an AA-version of the CR123 HDS? that's so not Henry ;)

hehede.png

HighLumens

Enlightened
Any hope for a 1xAA body? To use with Ni-mh and 14500 batteries?

Of course it would make the flashlight about 16 mm longer (that's the difference in lenght between a cr123 and a AA/14500).