XR-E R900 vs. XP-E2 in Aspherical - has anyone compared them?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Dereelight XSearcher with an XR-E R900 2.1A pill and was wondering if there was anything to be gained by swapping to a high-current copper bonded XP-E2 pill? I've heard accounts of how well the XP-E2 does in reflectored lights, but does anyone have firsthand experience comparing them in an aspherical?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there was a theoretical comparison posted on a different forum in which the XP-E2 came out slightly on top. The XP-E2 also has a lot more gains at higher current when mounted on a copper sinkpad compared to an XR-E, hitting over 450 OTF at 2 amps: Emitter test results thread.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-E2 can be de-domed easily. This is the change that makes the biggest difference. I have an aspheric light (DEFT), where the EZ1000 XR-E was switched for a XP-E2. Both on copper. Everything else including the 1.5A driver was kept the same. The lux number tripled.

As far as I know the EZ900 XR-E is only around 20% better than the EZ1000 XR-E and usually produces less otf lumens.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the information. Now to plan the strategy...

Let us know how it turns out and don't forget to use thicker bond wires. You may end up with a good thrower 430k Lux :) over driven XP-E2 dedomed, copper bonded, thick bond wires and ultra clear aspheric lens.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lack the time and expertise so Vinh will perform the "magic" :D

Let us know how it turns out and don't forget to use thicker bond wires. You may end up with a good thrower 430k Lux :) over driven XP-E2 dedomed, copper bonded, thick bond wires and ultra clear aspheric lens.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you focus it properly and you will see the dots in the hotspot or should that be hot square :)

Good point. I'm pretty familiar with focus adjustments on ASPs, been using them for a few years. But this will be the first try with a de-domed LED.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. I'm pretty familiar with focus adjustments on ASPs, been using them for a few years. But this will be the first try with a de-domed LED.

You are probably already aware, but when you take off the dome of the XP-E2. The cool white tint changes to a yellow tint.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are probably already aware, but when you take off the dome of the XP-E2. The cool white tint changes to a yellow tint.

Hmmm. I have a de-domed XM-L that's warm (cooler than my EA4 NW) but not yellow - no experience yet with a de-domed XP-E2. I like the DD XM-L tint, if the DD XP-E2 is similar, It'll be fine and it does make it easier to identify objects at long distance.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I have a de-domed XM-L that's warm (cooler than my EA4 NW) but not yellow - no experience yet with a de-domed XP-E2. I like the DD XM-L tint, if the DD XP-E2 is similar, It'll be fine and it does make it easier to identify objects at long distance.

The tint will vary depending on the colour temperature that the LED started off with. Also by how hard the LED is driven.

My dedomed XM-L2 faired quite well :)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-E2 is an interesting emitter and I hope we see it used more often. I've got a 1.9A XP-E2 4000K /w smooth reflector on the way from vinh. I have good memories of my XR-E R2 drop-ins and wanted something similar with modern efficicacy and less artifacts than a smooth reflectored XR-E.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The de-domed XP-E2 I mentioned above unfortunately produces an extremely green tint :(.